Pen-Fi (FPs, RBs, BPs, etc...) [56k Warning]
Mar 22, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #1,774 of 2,804
^ Very nice! Intereseting materials for sure. Isn't it too heavy?
Is that a rollerball or a ballpoint?

Since I began to use fountain pens, I really refuse to use ballpoints if I can.

It is definitely heavier than your average pen but it's got a nice weight to it, not too heavy, just enough to know you have a quality instrument in your hands :) It is a rollerball, not a ballpoint.

Here's two more I have with me at work. Pardon the crappy pictures taken with a cell phone. I used to have a lot more but sold them all :)

Mar 22, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #1,775 of 2,804
I too, have been swept away. If not in a hurry, I'll take the extra to retrieve one of my Pilot Metal Falcons... 
biggrin.gif

Mar 25, 2013 at 3:59 AM Post #1,776 of 2,804
Quote:

+1. Is that the older 14k nib 149 in your avatar? I have the new version and quite like it, but there are always the purists who insist that 14k gold is the best material for a nib because it is less likely to be sprung than higher gold content materials.

Mar 25, 2013 at 4:26 AM Post #1,777 of 2,804
Quote:
Quote:

+1. Is that the older 14k nib 149 in your avatar? I have the new version and quite like it, but there are always the purists who insist that 14k gold is the best material for a nib because it is less likely to be sprung than higher gold content materials.

+2

Mar 25, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #1,778 of 2,804
Figured this is a more appropriate place to post my most recent attempt at almost passable calligraphy. I really need some decent paper. 80gsm photocopy paper and cheapass notepaper isn't really helping.

Mar 25, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #1,779 of 2,804
Quote:
Figured this is a more appropriate place to post my most recent attempt at almost passable calligraphy. I really need some decent paper. 80gsm photocopy paper and cheapass notepaper isn't really helping.

Very nice, I would never hope to even get close to that level. On the paper side, Rhodia notepads are one sale at the moment at Ryman for buy 2 get 1 half price. They very nice for my note jotting, but not sure about calligraphy. Worth a try if there is a store at your area.

Mar 25, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #1,780 of 2,804
What pads should I get for drawing with a fountain pen? Also, for Calligraphy?

Mar 26, 2013 at 3:05 AM Post #1,781 of 2,804
Quote:
What pads should I get for drawing with a fountain pen? Also, for Calligraphy?

You know that you need a special pen for calligraphy, right? A normal fountain pen won't allow you to letter. You can get an italic tipped pen to do gothic and italic scripts like above, or a copperplate nib to do flexible, cursive style calligraphy. The copperplate version is considerably more difficult and takes more skill to do than the italic type of calligraphy. You can get fountain pens with italic nibs, but if you really want to get serious, you'll want to use a dip pen (these have sharper corners for more precision, but require you to dip the pen into an inkwell every few strokes). The dip pens are ideal for copperplate as well. Good news is that dip pens are much cheaper than fountain pens.

Mar 26, 2013 at 4:15 AM Post #1,782 of 2,804
Quote:

It's a 146 with a 14k B nib. I would say that I prefer 14k gold because it has some springiness and can rovide some line variation.

Mar 26, 2013 at 4:27 AM Post #1,783 of 2,804
Actually you can make an 18k nib just as springy, it's just not advisable to do so because the nib is more likely to be damaged from bending. How do you like the bold nib? I find that the nibs on the bigger Montblancs tend to run very wide; a 146 B must be a firehose.

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #1,785 of 2,804
You know that you need a special pen for calligraphy, right? A normal fountain pen won't allow you to letter. You can get an italic tipped pen to do gothic and italic scripts like above, or a copperplate nib to do flexible, cursive style calligraphy. The copperplate version is considerably more difficult and takes more skill to do than the italic type of calligraphy. You can get fountain pens with italic nibs, but if you really want to get serious, you'll want to use a dip pen (these have sharper corners for more precision, but require you to dip the pen into an inkwell every few strokes). The dip pens are ideal for copperplate as well. Good news is that dip pens are much cheaper than fountain pens.
So any pen recs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back