Pen-Fi (FPs, RBs, BPs, etc...) [56k Warning]
Mar 26, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #1,801 of 2,804
Nah, no worries. Replying doesn't take much time. Setting up for calligraphy and taking the time to make something really legit does. I'll be leaving in like an hour or two depending on when my friend calls me, so I didn't think I'd be able to write out a good sample. Hopefully you can get an idea of the size and line variation of the 1.5mm Rotring nib from that, though. I actually started calligraphy at the end of middle school, too, it's a neat hobby. And your parents can probably be persuaded to get you something academic related and long-lasting like a nice pen. When I was in 8th grade, I wanted a Montblanc 149, but my parents wouldn't let me spend my money on one. They gave in, though, when I told them that if I played video games like most kids, I would have spent far more than that. It's just that when it's $50 here and there for each game, it adds up without being too noticeable. I argued that the pen would last a lot longer and be more useful to me when I got older, and that I shouldn't be penalized for spending my money more wisely. Luckily, that convinced them, because now that pen costs $200 more than it did when I bought it. :wink:
Nice! I don't game often either, except for like Saints Row or something to pass time... My parents won't buy me stuff for DIY to make something for a talented and gifted program though... :rolleyes:

Apr 1, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #1,802 of 2,804
Quote:
Figured this is a more appropriate place to post my most recent attempt at almost passable calligraphy. I really need some decent paper. 80gsm photocopy paper and cheapass notepaper isn't really helping.

Whenever I look at my own work and start getting hypercritical, I take a step back and remind myself that I'm actually better than many of the people who actually wrote manuscripts for a living when the hands I'm working in were new:

http://www.bl.uk/catalogues/illuminatedmanuscripts/ILLUMIN.ASP?Size=mid&IllID=54889

Also notice the eerie way that Middle English is almost readily intelligible to Modern English speakers but not quite.

It could just be my monitor making it look special, but that's a very lovely shade of blue. What sort of ink is that?

Also, I'm in the same boat on paper. I even tried printing out some pre-ruled practice sheets, but the ink bleeds quite heavily. It actually works a lot better in my plain old college ruled notebook, but the lines aren't quite the right distance apart for any of my nib widths. Grr.

Apr 3, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #1,803 of 2,804
Quote:

Whenever I look at my own work and start getting hypercritical, I take a step back and remind myself that I'm actually better than many of the people who actually wrote manuscripts for a living when the hands I'm working in were new:

http://www.bl.uk/catalogues/illuminatedmanuscripts/ILLUMIN.ASP?Size=mid&IllID=54889

Also notice the eerie way that Middle English is almost readily intelligible to Modern English speakers but not quite.

It could just be my monitor making it look special, but that's a very lovely shade of blue. What sort of ink is that?

Also, I'm in the same boat on paper. I even tried printing out some pre-ruled practice sheets, but the ink bleeds quite heavily. It actually works a lot better in my plain old college ruled notebook, but the lines aren't quite the right distance apart for any of my nib widths. Grr.

Nothing special, it's the cheap parker quink in blue. The camera is making it look lighter than it is.

Apr 4, 2013 at 10:56 AM Post #1,804 of 2,804
Quote:
Nothing special, it's the cheap parker quink in blue. The camera is making it look lighter than it is.

Anyone had any experience with Herlitz ink?

I was almost going to buy acrylic ink for my pen, in a lovely prussian blue shade, but the price stopped me.
To think of it, acrylic ink may be a bad idea for a fountain pen.

Apr 4, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #1,805 of 2,804
Anyone had any experience with Herlitz ink?

I was almost going to buy acrylic ink for my pen, in a lovely prussian blue shade, but the price stopped me.
To think of it, acrylic ink may be a bad idea for a fountain pen.

Well, some say it can be used with fountain pens, but it is pretty high-maintenance. Maybe like iron gall inks, so flush regularly (every week maybe), and don't let it unused for days.
I would say try it in a cheap pen to see how it behaves.

Apr 5, 2013 at 2:50 AM Post #1,806 of 2,804
Quote:
Well, some say it can be used with fountain pens, but it is pretty high-maintenance. Maybe like iron gall inks, so flush regularly (every week maybe), and don't let it unused for days.
I would say try it in a cheap pen to see how it behaves.

Hmmm...
The herlitz is fountain pen ink, and it seems alright, its water soluble.

The acrylic one, I guess it'll have to be tried first. Its supposedly non clogging, but its not water soluble, so flushing the pens will be troublesome. I think its meant to be used with nibs without any reservoir. 

Apr 5, 2013 at 3:53 AM Post #1,807 of 2,804
Hmmm...
The herlitz is fountain pen ink, and it seems alright, its water soluble.

The acrylic one, I guess it'll have to be tried first. Its supposedly non clogging, but its not water soluble, so flushing the pens will be troublesome. I think its meant to be used with nibs without any reservoir. 

Yes, I meant that for the acrylic. An ultrasonic cleaner might be good unless the pen is celluloid, hard rubber, has inlaid parts.....so you really need to know what can you put in the cleaner. I have no experience with it.
I think the safest bet is a dip pen....

Edit:
I have a Waterman Carene fountain pen for sale if anyone interested http://tinyurl.com/d84nl6c

Apr 6, 2013 at 1:31 AM Post #1,809 of 2,804
I enjoy the comfort that comes with using Pilot Iroshizuku inks inside my Pilot Metal Falcon fountain pens. 
wink.gif

Apr 6, 2013 at 3:13 AM Post #1,810 of 2,804
Quote:
I would not put acrylic or iron gall ink into a fountain pen. I haven't heard of Herlitz before, is there anything special about the one you're looking at?

Nothing special, on the contrary, I'm worried it may not be as good as the Pelican I use.

Apr 6, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #1,813 of 2,804
200gsm?!? DANG man! I bet it's nice to write on!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back