Pen-Fi (FPs, RBs, BPs, etc...) [56k Warning]

  1. milkpowder
    It seems odd that there isn't a Pen-Fi thread. So why don't I start one[​IMG]

    Thanks to mrarroyo, I've started my Pen-Fi journey, my third real hobby!

    Here's my first pen, a Mont Blanc Hommage a Frederic Chopin Platinum Line (145). The pictures took me absolutely ages to take (and they're still not perfect[​IMG]), so enjoy!

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    I'm currently using Mont Blanc Black, but I've got Pelikan Brilliant Black and Visconti Blue coming in the mail.

    Last night, I also put down an order for a Waterman Carene Black Sea GT and a Lamy Joy calligraphy pen, which brings my pen-fi spending to $750 in just two days! Oh well, it turns out that pen-fi is highly addictive and wallet-draining too! Please share your experiences with your beloved pens[​IMG] Oh, you can tell us what inks you use too! I'll post again when my Waterman comes...
     
  2. mrarroyo Contributor
    Although it truly pains me to say this I feel compelled to do so. The pen is truly horrible, and someone of your outstanding character should not have to use a pen that is so below your level on enlightenment.

    I will sacrifice myself for your benefit, send it to me and I will force myself to use it. [​IMG]

    Beautiful pen, enjoy it!
     
  3. meat01 Contributor
    There is a Pen-Fi pen around here somewhere. I believe there are at least 2 of them. Anyway, I like Pelikan pens, because they are not too expensive and they are piston fillers, so you don't have to mess around with a cartridge or a converter. I have a couple of M200's a 140 and a couple of Go!'s. My next pen will be an M250, M400 or an M600.

    I also just got a vintage Sheaffer Touchdown filler that I like a lot.

    Here is one of the threads. It did not come up when you search for pens, because of the stupid ....

    http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...hlight=Pelikan
     
  4. milkpowder
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by meat01
    There is a Pen-Fi pen around here somewhere. I believe there are at least 2 of them. Anyway, I like Pelikan pens, because they are not too expensive and they are piston fillers, so you don't have to mess around with a cartridge or a converter. I have a couple of M200's a 140 and a couple of Go!'s. My next pen will be an M250, M400 or an M600.

    I also just got a vintage Sheaffer Touchdown filler that I like a lot.




    The M600 or M800/5 is on my "hitlist". I'm probably gonna get a green/black M600 or a Visconti Van Gogh as my next pen.

    I'll try and find the other Pen-Fi threads and hopefully a mod can very kindly combine the two!
     
  5. RedLeader
    can someone explain this to me? Headphones I understand because you get something out of them, an enjoyment of music. Does this give you... an "enjoyment of writing" or something? I'm all for ridiculous hobbies (go warmachines!) but this one seems completely beyond me. To spend time in your hobby do you just do alot of writing?
     
  6. mrarroyo Contributor
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by RedLeader
    can someone explain this to me? Headphones I understand because you get something out of them, an enjoyment of music. Does this give you... an "enjoyment of writing" or something? I'm all for ridiculous hobbies (go warmachines!) but this one seems completely beyond me. To spend time in your hobby do you just do alot of writing?



    When I have to sign contracts, large purchase orders, disciplinary letters, etc. I pull out one of my fountain pens and away I go. Also check out the eyes of the other people around you when you pull out a fountain pen to sign off a document. [​IMG]
     
  7. milkpowder
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mrarroyo
    When I have to sign contracts, large purchase orders, disciplinary letters, etc. I pull out one of my fountain pens and away I go. Also check out the eyes of the other people around you when you pull out a fountain pen to sign off a document. [​IMG]



    Personally, it's goes beyond prestige. I've always loved the feel of writing with fountain pens. I enjoy taking notes so much more for some reason! Also, I love watching my words dry! It's very odd and I can't really explain it either[​IMG] A good fountain pen allows a smooth ink flow regardless of writing speed and constant delivery of ink.
     
  8. Bob_McBob
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by RedLeader
    can someone explain this to me? Headphones I understand because you get something out of them, an enjoyment of music. Does this give you... an "enjoyment of writing" or something? I'm all for ridiculous hobbies (go warmachines!) but this one seems completely beyond me. To spend time in your hobby do you just do alot of writing?



    (500! [​IMG])

    You wouldn't understand if you haven't written with a fountain pen. The way they glide over the paper is almost magical. Plus they are a sweet demonstration of capillary action [​IMG]. I am not saying people who collect hundreds of expensive fountain pens are all there upstairs, but buying a nice pen (even up to a a couple hundred dollars) is not that weird. If you take care of it, it will last you for a very long time.

    People seem to be put off even more by expensive pens than expensive headphone gear. "YOU SPEND $1000 ON AN AMPLIFIER?!" "Well I guess if it sounds good..." "YOU SPEND $50 ON A PEN?!" "WHY?!" It's not that weird, damn it!

    Anyway, people are impressed when you pull out a fountain pen to sign something [​IMG]
     
  9. meat01 Contributor
    Quote:

    I'll try and find the other Pen-Fi threads and hopefully a mod can very kindly combine the two!



    It's OK, I like this one better, because it has Pen-Fi in the title [​IMG]
     
  10. milkpowder
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by meat01
    It's OK, I like this one better, because it has Pen-Fi in the title [​IMG]



    Hey same here!

    Oh I saw a very nice M405 for sale, but I can't justify buying another pen! *MUST RESIST*
     
  11. meat01 Contributor
    I really like your Mont Blanc, but they are a little to expensive for me. I like how they have special editions, like Pelikan has the city pens. Are Mont Blanc's piston fillers?
     
  12. milkpowder
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by meat01
    I really like your Mont Blanc, but they are a little to expensive for me. I like how they have special editions, like Pelikan has the city pens. Are Mont Blanc's piston fillers?



    Thanks! I'm currently using a piston converter. The 145 Chopin is a cartridge/converter pen. I believe the larger models 146 LeGrand and the 149 are piston fillers. Surprisingly, my 145 Chopin writes better than my dad's discontinued 925 sterling silver, 750 gold plated body 144(?) Solitaire (Classique size). His pen skips occasionally, which is absolutely disastrous when one is using it as a signature pen. The Mont Blanc rollerballs are superb though... It's too bad they don't do Mozart-sized rollerballs.

    Some say Mont Blanc pens are horribly overpriced and not worth it. Others going as far as saying that Mont Blanc is the Bose of audio and the Rolex of watches. Well, I personally thought that my money was well spent. It writes beautifully and also looks gorgeous. I was going to get the gold trim, but after some consideration, I went with the platinum trim. I definitely haven't regretted my purchase at all even though I had a chance to the try the Waterman Exception Slim GT, Pelikan M600, Mont Blanc Starwalker, Mont Blanc Boheme Bleu Platinum, Parker Duofold International, Mont Blanc LeGrand, all of which were properly amazing pens (with the exception of the Starwalker, which I didn't like the design of. Weight distribution was poor.). I was tempted to get the LeGrand, but I thought it was slightly too big and flashy for a university student. So was the Mont Blanc Boheme Bleu Platinum (the retractable nib takes too long).
     
  13. Naris
    Gah... that pen is beautiful. Too bad lefties have a hard time with fountain pens...
     
  14. pne
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by RedLeader
    can someone explain this to me? Headphones I understand because you get something out of them, an enjoyment of music. Does this give you... an "enjoyment of writing" or something? I'm all for ridiculous hobbies (go warmachines!) but this one seems completely beyond me. To spend time in your hobby do you just do alot of writing?



    i think some head-fiers just love to spend their money and indulge on items of the rich. Cigars, expensive watches, scotch, fountain pens, etc.
     
    CatboyMac likes this.
  15. mr_baseball_08
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by pne
    i think some head-fiers just love to spend their money and indulge on items of the rich. Cigars, expensive watches, scotch, fountain pens, etc.



    QFT..

    A year or so back I read an article in the New York Times that quoted Alan Greenspan as saying that Head-fi.com was the most significant contributor to the American economy.

    [​IMG]
     
    alyxx likes this.

Share This Page