Pen-Fi (FPs, RBs, BPs, etc...) [56k Warning]
Nov 3, 2006 at 10:04 AM Post #31 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedLeader
alrighty, where would I get such a pen, and what would it cost me? I've ALWAYS been a mechanical pencil man as I'm an engineer (in training, but close enough I say) and constantly erase and am doing calculations. Math with pens doesn't make a whole lot of sense. But my other writing I do, perhaps.

I'd say, start with a cheapie but goody to find out if you really like it.

I got my Pelikano pen from http://www.cultpens.com/acatalog/Pelikan.html in the UK. The price is good, especially since you don't need to pay VAT in the US, but shipping might be a bit steep to the US, they do send it by registered mail and fast too. The good thing is that you can get the converter for bottled ink there too and ink. You could also opt for cartridges. Less hassle but also less choice in ink.

Found this place:
https://secure9.nexternal.com/shared...t=products.asp

Shipping should be less so the total should be less.
Think about if you want a fine nib or a medium. A medium writes quite a bit thicker than a ballpoint but you may very well like the look of a nice thick line. (if you're lefthanded there is no option for fine with this pen I'm afraid.)

If you want a more expensive pen, I'd say find the nearest B&M pen store. And let yourself be advised. It'll cost you more than getting it of ebay but if there's something wrong or you don't like the linewidth or whatever, you've got somewhere to go and resolve the problem.

-edit-
If you've never wriiten with a fountain pen before it's good to know that you don't need to press on the nib like you do with ballpens. It can hurt the nib, especially gold nibs.

Nov 3, 2006 at 12:04 PM Post #32 of 2,804
My most used "pen".

75557.jpg

My favorite old school pen is my Lamy (can't remember which model). It's the one that the "architect" from the Matrix Reloaded uses as a remote control.

-Ed

Nov 3, 2006 at 12:33 PM Post #33 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
My most used "pen".

75557.jpg

My favorite old school pen is my Lamy (can't remember which model). It's the one that the "architect" from the Matrix Reloaded uses as a remote control.

-Ed

What pen is that...? Never seen it before, looks like it has a unique clicker system.

Nov 3, 2006 at 1:32 PM Post #34 of 2,804
Since Edwood does all this photoshop work (what is it that you do again, Ed?) I think this has got something to do with that. I'd guess that there's no ink comming out of that pen.

Nov 3, 2006 at 1:33 PM Post #35 of 2,804
Quote:

What pen is that...? Never seen it before, looks like it has a unique clicker system.

It is a digital pen that goes with a Wacom tablet for digital editing in Photoshop. It is also pressure sensitive.

Nov 3, 2006 at 2:50 PM Post #36 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
My most used "pen".

75557.jpg

Looks suspiciously like a graphics pad pen to me... And better made than my el cheapo Aiptek. I'd guess it's a Wacom... (edit: oops, that had been solved already - guess I should reload more often...)

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: My dearest fountain pens don't really look good anymore (a lot of the gold has already worn off of the clips an ornamental rings - but they're real vintage and inherited from my grandgrandaunt Anni: an Aristokrat, a Geha, a Halepen and a Marossy.

P.P.S.: wanderman: Definitely - I've got one of the nice alu Rotrings with a side button to retract the tip... And I just love the Tombow Zoom 707 - coolest pen series ever, for my taste...

Nov 3, 2006 at 3:26 PM Post #37 of 2,804
The only fountain pen related inheritage I own is a tiny 14K nib that's bended and has the inscription 'warrented' on it.
frown.gif

Wonder where I could get that warrenty to get that nib bended out.
rs1smile.gif

Nov 3, 2006 at 9:39 PM Post #39 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
The Waterman Carene is a beautiful writing instrument you will get lots of use out of it. If you ever want to try a very briliant blue get the Levenger's blue it is well blue but flows and dries up very nicely.

Thanks for the recommendation. I actually bought a bottle of Waterman Florida Blue today. I got a brief try at the pen shop. It's a very nice blue (nicer than Mont Blanc Blue-Black). I haven't had a chance to ink up my pens with the Florida Blue though.

I'll keep an eye out for the Levenger.

Nov 3, 2006 at 11:11 PM Post #40 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa
you wanted to know about Visconti blue? It's a gorgeous blue. If it was a headphone I'd call it upfront.
wink.gif

Diamine Umber(green)

I'm there; thanks for the recommendations. These will be inside my MB Fountain Pen soon...well, as soon as I find them; the search begins.

Nov 3, 2006 at 11:17 PM Post #41 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevesurf
I'm there; thanks for the recommendations. These will be inside my MB Fountain Pen soon...well, as soon as I find them; the search begins.

Visconti Blue is amazing. I haven't tried many blues, but it is my favourite at the moment. It flows extremely well out of my MB. Which MB do you have BTW?

Nov 4, 2006 at 1:15 AM Post #43 of 2,804
One tiny step down from your Pelikans is the Cross Ion:

DSC01966.jpg

DSC01969.jpg

DSC01975.jpg

DSC01978.jpg

I've had that thing for five years, and it's never failed me. Its small size is very convenient - I keep it in my pocket 24/7. Uses ink like an SUV uses gas, though, and refills are $5 apiece. My miraculous story is that one time I went to Office Depot and they had the refills mismarked at $0.25 apiece, so I bought out their entire inventory.
biggrin.gif
That had me covered for several years.

Can anyone recommend a similarly-sized upgrade?

Nov 4, 2006 at 1:35 AM Post #44 of 2,804
You had better go to ebay, Swisherpens or other pen stores and get another Ion or 2. They are discontinuing the Ions and selling them for $10 a piece. I have one and it is great. I use the little ring that it comes with and hook it on my lanyard and badge at work.

Something else that is nice and small that you can always carry with you is the Fisher Bullet space pen. The ballpoint ink isn't as nice as cross' gel ink, but it does write anywhere and will last forever. It is the same length as the ion closed, but when you put the cap on the back to write, it is full size. It is also thinner than the Ion.

Nov 4, 2006 at 1:35 AM Post #45 of 2,804
Nice pen ilovesocks! It writes BEAUTIFULLY
biggrin.gif
Swisherpens.com is great and so is pengallery.com

Oh, and I've got a confession to make, I just bought a Pelikan Souveran M600 (green/black) and a Lamy Safari Blue Red Special Edition.
very_evil_smiley.gif
My parents are going to kill me when they see my credit card bill!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back