Pen-Fi (FPs, RBs, BPs, etc...) [56k Warning]
Nov 2, 2006 at 7:39 AM Post #17 of 2,803
How's the Omas? It looks very nice.
biggrin.gif

Are you planning on getting the 100th Anniversary Edition Mont Blanc? You might as well keep up with the special editions
very_evil_smiley.gif
I've just been flipping through the catalogue and it looks very attractive! Too bad it's beyond my budget for the time being...

Nov 2, 2006 at 10:28 AM Post #18 of 2,803
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedLeader
can someone explain this to me? Headphones I understand because you get something out of them, an enjoyment of music. Does this give you... an "enjoyment of writing" or something? I'm all for ridiculous hobbies (go warmachines!) but this one seems completely beyond me. To spend time in your hobby do you just do alot of writing?

First off, when people in pen circles talk about a "good pen", the assumption is that fountain pens are being talked about...not ballpoints or rollerballs. There's nothing wrong with spending a lot on a ballpoint or rollerball, but all in all there's just nothing really "good" about it, other than you happening to like the way it looks, how it fits your hand, or the prestige behind the brand name. A $500 ballpoint is still going to write the same as a $5 ballpoint if they use the same refill cartridge. And a $500 ballpoint of any make isn't going to write a whole lot differently than a Bic. And this is where people make the assumption that spending a lot on pens is insane.

Fountain pens though are fundamentally different. While the basic filling mechanism is the same in general...either cartridge/converter or piston fill, what really defines a fountain pen is the nib. Once you start getting into expensive fountain pens, you start getting into the realm of hand made gold nibs. As such, each and every single fountain pen is unique unto itself as to how it writes (the exception being cheaper fountain pens with stainless steel nibs, those are mass produced). Two nibs of the same size could write entirely different widths. Some write terribly out of the box. And then there's those that are just perfect, and that's when the addiction begins.

In any event, this temperamental side of fountain pens is what makes them so interesting. You are truly buying a unique writing instrument, and not something that's just going to write like the $5 one right next to it. In terms of design, some of the world's most stunning and beautiful pens are only released in fountain pen form, like Maki-e pens.

The other thing about fountain pens is the tactile feedback one gets from a perfectly made nib gliding across paper. Not everybody will appreciate the sensation, but those that do are forever hooked once they feel it. It is a feeling that rollerballs were originally made for in an attempt to replicate that sensation, but fail miserably at, and ballpoints can never hope to approach.

Then there's inks...there's an unbelievable amount of unique ink colors out there for fountain pens. Probably over 200 and still more being created every other month.

That said, there's a time and a place for fountain pens, and those with busy, run around lifestyles probably wouldn't be able to use a fountain pen. The ink takes time to dry, you need to uncap/cap the pen, and the ink can run if it gets in contact with water/rain. I don't use fountain pens in my daily life a whole lot myself for all of the above, but I do cherish those moments when I get to use them at home, like to write a check, a letter, or sign something.

Nov 2, 2006 at 10:44 AM Post #19 of 2,803
Looks like I'm in the write place. (sigh)

Hello everyone. My name is Mike. I'm a pen addict.

everyone: hello mike.

It was my sister's fault. She gave me a MB as a birthday present and since then, I've just moved through the Parker and Waterman stage, progressed through the Omas/Visconti/Montegrappa/Aurora period, got hung up on Pelikin and Emperor for a while. And currently scout for anything vintage.

It didn't stay contained to just pens. Inks had to be just right. The discontinuation of Parker Penman sent me to the local store where I stocked up on a few cases. And the paper. Oh my lord, the paper selection can drive a man to crazy. Lastly, the accessories to organize all those pens. The old 48 pen Omas cases are stacked like lego blocks on my desk. Good thing they come in 5 different colors, else how can you distinguish your F nibbed from your M nibbed 149?

However, I've preserved. I've kept away from pen holders. Mostly because the really nice ones are all antiques and the new ones that are worth buying costs more than the pens. With this tiny shred, I hope to wean myself off this obssession.

Nov 2, 2006 at 10:55 AM Post #20 of 2,803
Well, the most I spend on a pen is on the low end Waterman Apostrophe. It writes really nice. But I couldn't resist getting another Pelikan Pelikano pen and that one, although it doesn't look very posh, is and absolute dream to write with.
I was thinking about getting a nice Pelikan pen, but I'm so happy with the Pelikano that I don't remember why I wanted it.
biggrin.gif

Redleader if you want to know what fountain pens are about, get yourself a Pelikano pen.
smily_headphones1.gif

Fountain pens don't need to be expensive to be good. with a ballpen you need to controll the pen because the ball is rolling all over the paper. A fountain pen just glides over the paper when you move it, and that causes your handwriting to look better. Also the ink looks much nicer than ballpoint ink.

I did go a bit crazy with inks though. I've got Waterman Blue Black(which is green, light green), Parker Quink Black, Aurora Blue(is violet in my eyes), Private Reserve Tanzanite (purple) and Visconti Blue.

Milkpowder, you wanted to know about Visconti blue? It's a gorgeous blue. If it was a headphone I'd call it upfront.
wink.gif

In a few weeks I'm getting 3 more ink colours for my birthday. And I've got a sneaking suspicion those will be Diamine Umber(green), Diamine Sepia and Waterman Florida Blue.

Nov 2, 2006 at 3:58 PM Post #21 of 2,803
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa
Well, the most I spend on a pen is on the low end Waterman Apostrophe. It writes really nice. But I couldn't resist getting another Pelikan Pelikano pen and that one, although it doesn't look very posh, is and absolute dream to write with.
I was thinking about getting a nice Pelikan pen, but I'm so happy with the Pelikano that I don't remember why I wanted it.
biggrin.gif

Redleader if you want to know what fountain pens are about, get yourself a Pelikano pen.
smily_headphones1.gif

Fountain pens don't need to be expensive to be good. with a ballpen you need to controll the pen because the ball is rolling all over the paper. A fountain pen just glides over the paper when you move it, and that causes your handwriting to look better. Also the ink looks much nicer than ballpoint ink.

I did go a bit crazy with inks though. I've got Waterman Blue Black(which is green, light green), Parker Quink Black, Aurora Blue(is violet in my eyes), Private Reserve Tanzanite (purple) and Visconti Blue.

Milkpowder, you wanted to know about Visconti blue? It's a gorgeous blue. If it was a headphone I'd call it upfront.
wink.gif

In a few weeks I'm getting 3 more ink colours for my birthday. And I've got a sneaking suspicion those will be Diamine Umber(green), Diamine Sepia and Waterman Florida Blue.

What is Parker Quink Black like? I wanted a darker ink than the MB black, so I had a look 'round a fountain pen forum and they recommended the Pelikan Brilliant Black and the Aurora Black. In the end, I got the Pelikan one. It still hasn't arrive yet. I'm really looking forward to the Visconti Blue because I heard it is one of the nicest blues around. I'll probably be using it with my still to come Waterman Carene Black Sea.

Are Pelikan pens really that good? There is a lot of hype around their M600 and M800 as one of the best pens at their respective price point. The M600's body felt a bit light and, excuse me for saying this, slightly cheap compared to the MB or even a Parker Duofold. I have yet to try the M800.

Nov 2, 2006 at 4:33 PM Post #22 of 2,803
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
What is Parker Quink Black like? I wanted a darker ink than the MB black, so I had a look 'round a fountain pen forum and they recommended the Pelikan Brilliant Black and the Aurora Black. In the end, I got the Pelikan one. It still hasn't arrive yet. I'm really looking forward to the Visconti Blue because I heard it is one of the nicest blues around. I'll probably be using it with my still to come Waterman Carene Black Sea.

Are Pelikan pens really that good? There is a lot of hype around their M600 and M800 as one of the best pens at their respective price point. The M600's body felt a bit light and, excuse me for saying this, slightly cheap compared to the MB or even a Parker Duofold. I have yet to try the M800.

I haven't used the Quink black much. Only filled my pen with it ones and it's nothing special, just black ink. But I don't particulairly like black ink. I had an old ink cartridge with Pelikan brilliant black, but because it was 16 years old half of the ink was evaporated so I filled the other half of the cartridge with water and it still was very black. So I guess they are right about Pelikan Black.
biggrin.gif

I don't know about the higher end Pelikans. I haven't tried them, but I am curious about them. I used to have a Pelikano pen all through highschool and loved it then. So when I saw it for sale for a good price I bought the newer model and was very impressed by it. It writes so smooth and it just feels right, even somewhat flexible feel to it even though it's a steel nib. I have the lefthanded model. Has some sort of special nib. I don't know why exactly, I found I can write just fine with normal nibs.
I also got a Waterman Kultur of ebay. That's a simular priced plastic Waterman pen and it's just no comparison.

Nov 2, 2006 at 6:23 PM Post #25 of 2,803
Nice!
smily_headphones1.gif

You got the fancy Visconti bottle. I settled for the plastic refill. (I'm Dutch.
wink.gif
)

Maybe with a bit of time the Carene will start writing a bit wetter. I've read that there could still be some factory oils in it. But I'm not sure what to think of this pen break in time.

Nov 2, 2006 at 7:19 PM Post #26 of 2,803
Quote:

Nice!
smily_headphones1.gif

You got the fancy Visconti bottle. I settled for the plastic refill. (I'm Dutch.
wink.gif
)

I just looked at the bill for the Visconti Blue and I never new it was so expensive!!!! 18USD for 40mL compared to 8.4USD for 62.5mL of the Pelikan Brilliant Black!!!
mad.gif

I noticed that the Pelikan Brilliant Black takes longer to dry than the Mont Blanc Black. It might because my Chopin writes wetter with the Pelikan than with the Mont Blanc.

Quote:

Maybe with a bit of time the Carene will start writing a bit wetter. I've read that there could still be some factory oils in it. But I'm not sure what to think of this pen break in time.

The Carene is very nice indeed. It's pretty cheap for a pen with a solid 18k gold nib too.

Nov 3, 2006 at 2:02 AM Post #27 of 2,803
The Waterman Carene is a beautiful writing instrument you will get lots of use out of it. If you ever want to try a very briliant blue get the Levenger's blue it is well blue but flows and dries up very nicely.

Nov 3, 2006 at 2:28 AM Post #28 of 2,803
alrighty, where would I get such a pen, and what would it cost me? I've ALWAYS been a mechanical pencil man as I'm an engineer (in training, but close enough I say) and constantly erase and am doing calculations. Math with pens doesn't make a whole lot of sense. But my other writing I do, perhaps.

Nov 3, 2006 at 4:11 AM Post #29 of 2,803
i always think mont blanc always has great pen(now watches too). i have a cheap, or is it the cheapest regular size mont blanc ball pen but that's it. i have bad bad penmanship. sometimes i just feel embarrass to write
redface.gif
blink.gif

Nov 3, 2006 at 9:28 AM Post #30 of 2,803
pens...*begins to fondle collection of mechanical pencils* rotring and cross make such good pencils.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back