Pen-Fi (FPs, RBs, BPs, etc...) [56k Warning]
Nov 5, 2006 at 11:19 PM Post #62 of 2,803
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak
I have a 3 day weekend coming up in 2 weeks. I'm going to visit my parents so I promise pictures of his pen collection and mine.

Cool. I'll look forward to that
biggrin.gif

I think my dad also has a small "collection" too. Most men like pens for some reason
wink.gif
I won't be able to take photos until who knows when... All I know is that it consists of a few MBs, some Parkers, some Cross and I think some Lamys, so pretty mainstream stuff... I've only seen three of them though: Parker 75 FP in sterling silver (discontinued), MB Solitaire FP in 925 sterling silver and 750 gold-plated (discontinued) and MB Classique GT ball pen. Those are the ones he actually uses on a day to day basis. The other ones are locked up somewhere
biggrin.gif

The good thing about pens is that they do actually retain their value fairly well if kept in good condition. I might sell some to fund some headphone-related purchases
evil_smiley.gif
(I want Stax
evil_smiley.gif
)

Nov 6, 2006 at 9:26 AM Post #63 of 2,803
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
I thought MBs had a two year warranty? Mine came with 2 years warranty anyway... I've been hearing a lot about the fragility of the MB barrels. Oh well... For the record, my Waterman Carene, which costs less than half of the 145, writes smoother, feels more expensive, and has a nicer nib (18k vs 14k). I guess you pay a lot for the brand name.

That said, I have always wanted a MB. Now that I have one and am starting to appreciate custom pens, I find myself swaying away from mass produced, world famous brands. It's those smaller companies/individuals that actually make the nice stuff! That's not to say that I won't buy another MB or other big-name pen makers (eg Parker, Waterman) though. I really do enjoy using their products and they, without a shadow of doubt, make fine pens!

Montblanc's "precious resin" is actually a mixture of glass and plastic...the glass is what gives its jet black barrel such a shiny gloss. And this is also why Montblancs using their "precious resin" shatter when dropped. I have a resin version of the Starwalker rollerball myself, I just know to baby it, and any other resin MBs for that matter. It'd probably help if MB sellers told their customers about this little fact, people would probably be more careful with their MBs. They got their bad rep back when they made their 144 model, which had such thin barrel walls that it would sometimes crack on its own for no reason, and was especially vunerable to shattering when dropped.

If you're looking to buy a more custom made pen, I'd strongly urge a look at Dani Trio pens. They offer some extremely nice hand made maki-e pens for between $350-500 (and higher...a lot higher...I believe they have one that costs $10k). But that's if you're into the Japanese look and design. If you're more into modern or retro designs, you'd have to stick with big name, mass produced pens. I have two Dani Trios myself, a Tamenuri and a Wakasa-nuri, both are my pride and joy. Quite a contrast in comparison to my Visconti Titanium Skeleton LE, which is also another one of my pride and joys.

Nov 6, 2006 at 10:36 AM Post #64 of 2,803
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vertigo-1
If you're looking to buy a more custom made pen, I'd strongly urge a look at Dani Trio pens. They offer some extremely nice hand made maki-e pens for between $350-500 (and higher...a lot higher...I believe they have one that costs $10k). But that's if you're into the Japanese look and design. If you're more into modern or retro designs, you'd have to stick with big name, mass produced pens. I have two Dani Trios myself, a Tamenuri and a Wakasa-nuri, both are my pride and joy. Quite a contrast in comparison to my Visconti Titanium Skeleton LE, which is also another one of my pride and joys.

Thanks for the recommendations! The models I like are way beyond my financial capability!

Other really nice brands that I've discovered recently are Nakaya, Namiki, Conway Stewart, Aurora, Stipula and Omas. Most of these brands aren't fully custom workshops, but their pens are simply breathtaking to look at! It's quite weird, but I've got an affection to this odd pen: Nakaya Writer Series Araishu (here and here). I love how it's so simple, yet so incredibly beautiful to my eyes!

EDIT: Visconti pens are very nice too! The Van Gogh models are apparently pretty good value for money. I also like the Namiki Maki-e collection, but they, like the Danitrio maki-e pens, are simply too expensive. Maybe when I become a successful GP/surgeon/consultant, etc...
tongue.gif

Nov 6, 2006 at 4:55 PM Post #65 of 2,803
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovesocks
Thanks! I really like it. Working off your guys' tip that it's being discontinued, I just bought one identical to mine off eBay (mine's pretty chewed up, though it doesn't show completely in the pics), and I'm also watching another auction for a blue one. Also bought some black refills, since I'm almost out. I've had bad experiences with the red and purple refills--only the blue and black ones are worth it.

EDIT: I love writing those curly d's. Those and lowercase betas. And vectors i, j, and k.

Look what I found! Hope this is of some use to you
wink.gif
https://secure1.nexternal.com/shared...t=products.asp (scroll down)

Nov 7, 2006 at 6:31 AM Post #66 of 2,803
Here's my contribution to Pen-Fi finally! My best pen = my calligraphy pen!

penfi_1.jpg

penfi_2.jpg

How does it write? Well here's a quick sample I did, if I had spent more time on it it'd look better, but oh well.

penfi_3.jpg

Nov 7, 2006 at 11:37 AM Post #68 of 2,803
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vertigo-1
Montblanc's "precious resin" is actually a mixture of glass and plastic...the glass is what gives its jet black barrel such a shiny gloss. And this is also why Montblancs using their "precious resin" shatter when dropped.

This is very interesting; I never knew the resin contained glass. I do know about the threaded barrel's delicacy, though. I screwed the top on my Boehme too tight once and it cracked. MB service wanted to charge me $60 for the repair, which I was very surprised at. When I told them about my collection, they performed the service at no charge.

One tip is, when handing your pen to someone, don't give them the cap, since they will most likely screw it on too tight, and they won't slip it in their pocket. Most people really have no idea that many pens should be treated like jewelry.

Nov 7, 2006 at 3:43 PM Post #69 of 2,803
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevesurf
...One tip is, when handing your pen to someone, don't give them the cap, since they will most likely screw it on too tight, and they won't slip it in their pocket. Most people really have no idea that many pens should be treated like jewelry.

Plus it is not likely they will inadvertantly put the pen in their pocket and walk away...
wink.gif

Nov 7, 2006 at 4:06 PM Post #70 of 2,803
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr
Here's my contribution to Pen-Fi finally! My best pen = my calligraphy pen!

penfi_3.jpg

Nice
tongue.gif

Nov 7, 2006 at 5:41 PM Post #71 of 2,803
Does Cross make a good pen? I got a Cross Century II Medalist for a high school graduation present and it writes nice but I don't know much about pens...

Nov 7, 2006 at 6:45 PM Post #72 of 2,803
Yes; Cross does make good pen. I have three two Century Classic and One Solo. The Solo is an EF and it's very smooth for an EF. Rumor is Namiki made the nibs for Cross.

Nov 7, 2006 at 6:56 PM Post #73 of 2,803
Nov 7, 2006 at 10:53 PM Post #74 of 2,803
My first FP was a Rotring Freeway. Looks ok, but I was never keen on its writing capabilities. My next one was a Lamy Safari X-Fine and it's just a dream to write with, it looks good, it is cheap, and it is damn near indestructable. So I'm hard pressed to ever upgrade beyond it.

For ink I'm using Noodler's Legal Lapis, one of their Bulletproof inks. It has feathering issues with some papers and it tends to leak slightly running down the nib - well, not exactly leak, it just tends to not stay nicely in the slit. Besides those issues it's wonderful stuff. There's a very cool feeling to dunk paper in water for an hour or so, take it out and all the ink is still on it.

Nov 8, 2006 at 12:03 AM Post #75 of 2,803
Quote:

Originally Posted by Publius
My first FP was a Rotring Freeway. Looks ok, but I was never keen on its writing capabilities. My next one was a Lamy Safari X-Fine and it's just a dream to write with, it looks good, it is cheap, and it is damn near indestructable. So I'm hard pressed to ever upgrade beyond it.

For ink I'm using Noodler's Legal Lapis, one of their Bulletproof inks. It has feathering issues with some papers and it tends to leak slightly running down the nib - well, not exactly leak, it just tends to not stay nicely in the slit. Besides those issues it's wonderful stuff. There's a very cool feeling to dunk paper in water for an hour or so, take it out and all the ink is still on it.

The Lamy Safari is great. I bought this one awhile ago and am still waiting for it to arrive!

1512.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back