Pen-Fi (FPs, RBs, BPs, etc...) [56k Warning]
Jul 28, 2008 at 7:16 PM Post #586 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by leftnose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can still get them:

Bic Cristal Stick Ballpoint Pens Black Medium Clear 12 Ballpoint at OfficeMax

The Cristal is actually the closest pen on the market today to the original ballpoint, the biro. It's actually a fairly important pen in the history of writing instruments.

Unfortunately, even though it's available in name, it's in name only because it is quite different in this incarnation from the original.
frown.gif
The new Crystal isn't a bad pen, but it's not as good as the original.

Jul 28, 2008 at 7:24 PM Post #587 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately, even though it's available in name, it's in name only because it is quite different in this incarnation from the original.
frown.gif
The new Crystal isn't a bad pen, but it's not as good as the original.

X2, remember the commercial where they would open a can w/ a bic?

Jul 28, 2008 at 7:51 PM Post #588 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X2, remember the commercial where they would open a can w/ a bic?

Yeah, the original had a big solid brass nose cone!

Jul 30, 2008 at 11:43 AM Post #589 of 2,804
This is my first try with this boutique manufacturer to use with a variety of Pelikan and Parker pens. Have Baystate Concord Grape and Luxury Blue on their way, but now another question: am looking for a vibrant and brilliant blue/green like a turquoise. I know the owner of the company loves Navajo Turquoise but do any of you have other suggestions???

Jul 30, 2008 at 2:18 PM Post #590 of 2,804
Jul 30, 2008 at 4:23 PM Post #592 of 2,804
Quote:

Be careful with the Baystate inks. Their pH is not compatible with most modern inks and they can turn to sludge if mixed with modern inks...even inside a pen.

Turquoise isn't a color that interests me so I can't make a recommendation there. If you don't get any good ideas from others here, try The Fountain Pen Network (Powered by Invision Power Board)

There's also a nice selection of color swatches here: The Writing Desk: ink

actually I was devoting only one pen foruse with the Baystate. Don't know--sounds pretty tricky so will watch and see what happens. Also had looked at La Coleur Royale which was a darker purple. Might revert to that if the Baystate doesn't work. But yeah, was told about not mixing them due to the chemistry differences

Jul 30, 2008 at 6:43 PM Post #593 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Tadashi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ottoman Azure is a nice blue ink for Noodlers.

Ottoman Azure is a beautiful color. I use it in an italic nibbed pen and it shades wonderfully on good paper. It's name is just perfect though as it's nothing more than Azure. If you're looking for a green/turquoise blue, it's not the right thing.

Jul 30, 2008 at 6:59 PM Post #594 of 2,804
Quote:

Ottoman Azure is a beautiful color. I use it in an italic nibbed pen and it shades wonderfully on good paper. It's name is just perfect though as it's nothing more than Azure. If you're looking for a green/turquoise blue, it's not the right thing.

I've been using Ottoman Azure in my everyday 51 for a few months now. I love the color and it is a perfect contrast for originals/copies at the office. I believe that it can be mixed with other colors. Maybe adding some green Noodler's would make a nice turquoise.

I've got some Baystate Blue on the way. The Ph difference is a slight concern, but I want to give it a try. I've been wanting a deep, saturated blue like that. I'll give it a try in my 52 degree Stipula and a 51 I've been soaking this week.

Aug 3, 2008 at 5:36 AM Post #595 of 2,804
Damn you Pen-Fi!
mad.gif

Thursday I decided to try out fountain pens and ordered a Safari and PR American Blue.. later on that night I ordered two more inks, Noodler's Dragon's Napalm and Zhivago.

Now tonight I won an auction for two blue diamond Parker 51s, the Safari isnt even here yet..
mad.gif
mad.gif

I was doing a little reading on the 51s and it seems like these are the problematic vacumatic filler type, if they end up being NOS how likely is it I will need to have them restored? Any rough estimate of repair cost or where I should send them if it's needed?

Aug 3, 2008 at 2:20 PM Post #596 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zodduska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Damn you Pen-Fi!
mad.gif

Thursday I decided to try out fountain pens and ordered a Safari and PR American Blue.. later on that night I ordered two more inks, Noodler's Dragon's Napalm and Zhivago.

Now tonight I won an auction for two blue diamond Parker 51s, the Safari isnt even here yet..
mad.gif
mad.gif

I was doing a little reading on the 51s and it seems like these are the problematic vacumatic filler type, if they end up being NOS how likely is it I will need to have them restored? Any rough estimate of repair cost or where I should send them if it's needed?

Do a search, you should be able to find Parker 51's already restore from $75 to $150. They are great pens (I own 2) and they write fantastic.

BTW, if you go to flea markets then you can find them for $10 to $25. Of course you run the risk that they will need restoring, or perhaps soaking them in cold water for 24 hours might do the trick.

Aug 3, 2008 at 4:12 PM Post #597 of 2,804
Of course I already bought them before I did enough research to realise the ones I just bought pretty much always need to be restored, I'll try soaking them first.
confused_face.gif

Aug 3, 2008 at 10:49 PM Post #598 of 2,804
Quote:

Vac filler Parker 51's are very early production. Some of these can be quite valuable. Most of the 51's use the later aerometric filler. A full restoration of a vac filler should run about $30-$35, give or take, provided nothing unexpected pops up. Ron Zorn (Main Street Pens - Quality Pen Repair) is very good with vac fillers. Richard Binder (RichardsPens.com • Fountain Pens by Richard Binder) is another good restorer, but he has a large backlog, and you can expect a repair to take several months. There are many other good restorers out there.

It is highly unlikely that the rubber diaphragm in a vac filler is still intact and flexible after 50+ years. I'd say there is an extremely high probability that your pens will need some work.

Aug 3, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #599 of 2,804
Hirsch, thanks for the great links and info 30-35 isnt too bad, I paid 129 for the pair.

heres a couple pics of the 51s from the auction:
1cc61nu9.jpg

231d1om5.jpg

Aug 4, 2008 at 3:17 AM Post #600 of 2,804
Quote:

You will probably have to replace the diaphragm if they're pushing 60 and haven't been replaced.

But don't worry about using vacs. I've used a vac almost daily for the past seven or eight years. They might not be bulletproof like the aerometric fillers, but once they have a new diaphragm they're very reliable. They seem to hold more ink than the aero does, as well.

If you need a restorer, you can send them to the Fountain Pen Shop:

Fountain Pen Shop: Fountain Pens, Roller Balls, Ballpoint, Collectibles, Service

I've been working with Fred since 1994. I've bought a few dozen pens there and have had a number serviced. Always good work and always done in-house. There are a lot of other excellent restorers out there, too, but I trust Fred.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back