Pen-Fi (FPs, RBs, BPs, etc...) [56k Warning]
Jun 13, 2008 at 1:46 PM Post #556 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve The Egg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would you guys recommend a fine nib or a medium nib for my first one? My hand writing isn't very neat and I do tend to press down pretty hard on the paper. So, I would think medium. I like the idea of a black Lamy Safari, but is there any fountain pens that are not too expensive (let's say under $50) that have a more "solid" and "heavier" look? I really like heavy pens (metal).

I can't really recommend a desk pen for your father because I have no idea what's available today.

For you, I would recommend the Lamy Studio. isell pens has the stainless model on sale now for $49. The Studio has the same nib as the Safari but has a heavier metal body. The stainless version has a rubberized grip as well. The nibs are interchangeable, too. So if you buy an F or M and don't like it, you can swap for the other.

Lamy ~ ISellPens.com ~ Lamy Fountain, Roller Ball Ball Point

Jun 14, 2008 at 1:55 AM Post #557 of 2,804
I've inked a couple pens. The Safari with the Aurora Black and the Newton with the Upper Ganges Blue are my two work pens. The Visconti pen is new; I got it yesterday. Ultimately, it will be inked with Private Reserve Ebony Green but it hasn't arrived yet so it gets inked with one of my favorites in the mean time.

EDIT: Removed scan. See post #563

Jun 14, 2008 at 2:18 AM Post #558 of 2,804
The Visconti Blue is nice. The Havana Brown turns up just a whisker's width darker on your scan than it does for me. That could have everything to do with nib and feed variation.

Oh, and congrats on the Visconti Van Gogh
biggrin.gif

Jun 14, 2008 at 12:32 PM Post #559 of 2,804
I think that the Havana is darker above is due to the scan more than anything else. The two pens in which we have them have pretty similar feeds but I don't know which nib size your M600 is.

Thanks re: the Van Gogh. It's an adjustment though. The pen is the Maxi size and the nib is huge! I have to hold it much farther from the tip of the nib that I am accustomed. Very smooth, though. I'm pleased with the purchase.

Jun 17, 2008 at 5:07 PM Post #561 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by hembergler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice Waterman. I'm a fan of my not-so-expensive Waterman Hemisphere as well as their inks. (Their blue-black ink is particularly nice)

I recently bought a black and rhodium Namiki/Pilot Vanishing Point, I'll have to get photos of that up soon.

Necromancing a post to reply to, but I just got my first FP today - a Waterman Hemisphere. I have nothing to compare it against, but I'm learning the art of not pressing down hardly at all on the paper. The only decent paper the store had was a Moleskin, which will do as a jot-pad.
smily_headphones1.gif

I think it writes darn nice, but as I said, I have only ballpoints to compare it to. I got mine in blue.
smily_headphones1.gif
I also scored some Waterman Florida Blue ink, just in the cartridges, gotta start small.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 17, 2008 at 10:43 PM Post #562 of 2,804
Congrats.

I just like writing with FP more than ballpoints. A smooth nib literally glides over paper, although some may prefer a bit of 'tooth' in the nib. There are some nibs that are made in a way so that applying pressure will result in some line width variation. However, the majority of modern day pens aren't designed to be flexible.

Moleskine paper is OK. I use one everyday for note taking, but it feathers. Build quality is very good though. Paper quality is another story altogether. Most 80-90gsm paper would probably be just as good, if not better.

Waterman Florida Blue is a very popular ink. It looks nice, flows well and most importantly doesn't stain ink windows.

Jun 19, 2008 at 1:48 AM Post #563 of 2,804
Inked a few more pens:

ink-2.jpg

Ebony Green is new. I gotta say, though, it's by far the messiest ink I've ever used. I've got enough of it on my hands from filling one pen that there's more green than skin-color!

Jun 19, 2008 at 3:54 AM Post #564 of 2,804
I'm new to the pen scene. I bought my dad this Waterman Expert RB for Father's Day from Artlite Pens in Atlanta. They have a GREAT selection of pens both new and vintage and a knowledgeable staff. I spent about an hour searching for the perfect pen, at the right price, of course.

1743545_big.jpg

Jun 25, 2008 at 7:32 PM Post #565 of 2,804
I just sent in a check for a dealer table at the DC pen show in August. Strange how things happen. I've discovered that I'm pretty good at vintage pen restoration, and am going to be able to put up about 200 clean high-end pens for sale. The other 200 in my collection are staying where they are
tongue.gif

Anyone else so far gone that they go to pen shows?

Jun 26, 2008 at 2:54 PM Post #567 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by ricksome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hirsch: What dates is this scheduled for and where will your display be at? If possible, I'll stop by and talk headphones with you and look at your wares. Thanx / Rick

The DC Pen Show is Aug 7-10. The 7th and 8th are open to dealers only, and the public show is the 9th and 10th at the Sheraton in Tyson's Corner. I've got no idea where my table will be set up yet.

Jul 21, 2008 at 11:38 AM Post #570 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by ricksome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you guys stop writing???

Nope. In fact, I had to change my ink cartridge a few days ago because I was writing so much!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back