PC to Mac: My Not-So-Genius Switch
Jan 18, 2009 at 2:20 PM Post #121 of 637
This has turned into just another Mac (OS X) vs. PC (MS Windows) bashing thread!
very_evil_smiley.gif

** Shakes head **

Jan 18, 2009 at 8:13 PM Post #122 of 637
I have a Core i7 PC dual booting Vista x64 and windows 7 beta.

&

A Macbook Pro, Happy with both! No need to bitch guys lol

Jan 18, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #123 of 637
Another happy MBP "17 matte user reporting in. I've never had any problems with mine whatsoever, and it's been a couple of years now. I'm on my second MBP only because the first one was stolen by some scum bags in Florida whom I caught in the act, then castrated, then decapitated, and then dumped their bodies down in the Everglades. To make things look good for insurance purposes, I had to dump the MBP as well. (Awakes from dream... no, I didn't actually catch them in the act... dang it!)

Funny story (maybe not to you, Jude, but still) about the Genius! I still remember seeing that for the first time at a Mac store and thinking to myself, "What in the world were they thinking with that?" I mean, really! The people who come in for help from the so called "Genius" team are in need of support, and obviously, they won't be able to help every such customer on the spot. That label is just bound to piss a lot of people off, and thus totally backfire, or so I thought to myself.

No surprise that the Head-Fi guy was a true Genius and gentleman (not that we don't have our fair share of morons around here too!).

Jan 19, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #124 of 637
Quote:

Both times McAfee could not remove the virus. She was running McAfee with an update virus definition.

You should change her anti-virus, NOD32 and Kaspersky are a few good ones.

I'm running NOD32 + Spybot on XP Pro SP3, haven't gotten a virus yet. (And I download some shady things) Though I admit I only use my computer for schoolwork and entertainment, so I assume for others security is an even bigger issue.

Jan 19, 2009 at 1:59 AM Post #125 of 637
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should change her anti-virus, NOD32 and Kaspersky are a few good ones.

I'm running NOD32 + Spybot, haven't gotten a virus yet. (And I download some shady things) Though I admit I only use my computer for schoolwork and entertainment, so I assume for others security is an even bigger issue.

I know. She is resistant to changing anything on her computer.

Her computer is about 7 years old. When I replace my computer I will give her my old computer. I have Kaspersky running on it.

Jan 19, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #126 of 637
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This has turned into just another Mac (OS X) vs. PC (MS Windows) bashing thread!
very_evil_smiley.gif

** Shakes head **

I agree, you know I think we need a separate forum for all these threads, they too often devolve into tit for tat arguments. There is room for discussion on the topic, but it seems to polarize people too much.. shame.

My experience is probably atypical to they Head-Fi norm.. but here's my 2cents..

I'm a PC, I've been using them since Windows 3.1, and I'm comfortable with the whole windows ecosystem. For me, it just works. All my software works, I'm sensible with my choices of hardware, and I'm happy with it. We have 4 Pc's in the house, on our network, and in the last year I've maybe spent 3-4 hours total on admin. We get it working, and leave it be. no need to fiddle with it if it works eh
smily_headphones1.gif

That said, I made a lot of animation shorts and hypercard stuff on macs when I was at university, back in the late 90's. It wasn't a terrible experience, but when time to buy a computer came, I bought a pc, mostly based on cost. Back then macs were REALLY expensive compared to PC's.

Would I buy a Mac today? No, I have everything I need on my PC. Would I like to try OSX on my PC? Yes.. I'd love to see OSX released for generic PC hardware. I know it can be fudged together, but the driver support is woeful, and frankly, it's not really worth it for me. I've tried linux twice.. but it took way too long to get even half set up (driver issues are horrendous).. a big waste of time for me.

I'm currently in the process of buying an ipod touch (which seems to have gone UP in price on Amazon in the last week.. grr), my first new ipod, so I'll be joining the apple camp, but i'm not giving up my PC anytime soon.

oh, and I don't like glossy screens. Had one on a Laptop a while ago, didn't like it at all.. spent all my time making sure the lighting was just so, to minimize glare.. bleh.. Still I sold it for a 5/6ths what I paid for it, so that's not bad. Go craigslist
wink.gif

Jan 19, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #127 of 637
Quote:

Originally Posted by ajstark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know. She is resistant to changing anything on her computer.

Her computer is about 7 years old. When I replace my computer I will give her my old computer. I have Kaspersky running on it.

x2 on the Nod32...very highly-rated stuff. McAfee is overhead-heavy junk, in my opinion. Spybot only works if you know how to answer the prompts that TeaTimer gives you...too many people unknowingly defeat any type of client firewall or detection app by blindly clicking "accept" to the prompts that get thrown up.

For free stuff, Eeye Blink is *really* good. In the rare case of an infection, I first suspend the EXPLORER.EXE and WINLOGON.EXE processes with (free) Process Explorer, then do a full scan with MalwareBytes Anti-Malware (free as well). Then, because I'm paranoid, I manually power-cycle the PC and run a full scan for rootkits with F-Secure's Online Blacklight Scanner.

Jan 19, 2009 at 5:11 AM Post #128 of 637
Quote:

Originally Posted by ajstark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use a Dell and I am planning on switching to a Mac Desktop at some future time.

The Mac OS is based on UNIX OS. The UNIX OS is a very robust operating system and very secure. The large Sun and HP server use UNIX. You gain security by using administrative accounts for administrative actives and normal accounts for everything else. All the large data centers adhere to this principle.

The problem with windows is Microsoft was concerned about features and not security. Microsoft blurred the line between what is an administrative task and normal task that is why virus writers can attack the system.

My Wife's computer got infected with a virus - two times. Both times McAfee could not remove the virus. She was running McAfee with an update virus definition. I spent two days worth of time fixing the problem. I have better things to do do with my time that removing virus from Wintel computers - that is why I am switching to Mac's .

Here is the perfect example of what I am talking about. Downadup virus exposes millions of PCs to hijack - CNN.com

Al

I know all about how Mac OS X is UNIX Certified. But being UNIX doesn't make it better. It's just far too limited.

OS X is only good if you're really willing to make a lot of sacrifices. A lot.

And as far as not getting viruses, run Windows update regularly and stay away from websites you probably shouldn't be looking at anyway.

Jan 19, 2009 at 5:12 AM Post #129 of 637
Love my iMac 24"...Love my MacBook Air...
Have a love/hate relationship with my Dell 630 laptop.

Blondes, brunettes, and redheads. Different amounts of maintenance yielding totally different results.

Jan 19, 2009 at 5:13 AM Post #130 of 637
I haven't run into the "lots of sacrifices", honestly. Just 1, and it's not somethign I care about anyway, and that's gaming. I have a wii for gaming.

Jan 19, 2009 at 5:22 AM Post #131 of 637
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoSXS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know all about how Mac OS X is UNIX Certified. But being UNIX doesn't make it better. It's just far too limited.

OS X is only good if you're really willing to make a lot of sacrifices.

Limited how? What kind of sacrifices? Serious question here.

Jan 19, 2009 at 5:28 AM Post #132 of 637
Quote:

Originally Posted by woof07 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Limited how? What kind of sacrifices? Serious question here.

games and softwares maybe, e.g. the msn version is so low in the mac platform, cant video conference the pc users at all.

Jan 19, 2009 at 5:32 AM Post #134 of 637
Vundo_5 took down my computer within 4 days. Lost everything. According to Trend Micro's statistics, it took down 19 million computers, worldwide, within 10 days.
Lost everything that wasn't backed up (stuff I had since Windows '94 1/2).

PC-cillin and Trend Micro could do diddley squat about it (heaven knows they tried).

Have all of my PC music programs on my PC partitions on the Mac. With that ability, and the ability to use Microsoft Office for Mac between my PC's and my Macs, I don't see many downsides.
Almost anything that you want to do on your PC can be done on a Mac, plus some.

Jan 19, 2009 at 5:55 AM Post #135 of 637
Quote:

Originally Posted by gorlen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
games and softwares maybe, e.g. the msn version is so low in the mac platform, cant video conference the pc users at all.

Really? well I'd say that's Microsoft's fault there. Mind you Everyone I know has MSN / Windows Live, so its never been an issue for me.. I use it every day to talk to my family and friends. Tied in with Hotmail, calendar and the other windows live stuff it's pretty darn useful, and free.. free is always nice
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back