PC to Mac: My Not-So-Genius Switch
Jan 14, 2009 at 6:00 AM Post #106 of 637
I guess you can say I'm a pretty big computer hardware enthusiast. I never factor resale value into a computer since I typically own them until it is time to buy a new PC (typically in 4 years time). I usually do upgrades such as changing graphics card or adding storage if necessary in two years which is typically before or right after hardware standards change so such upgrades are cheaper. By the time that I need an entirely new PC, selling the old PC would return very little since, most likely, the market would have made a shift to the aforementioned new standards and probably even be on the verge of yet another shift. I don't see this being any different for an Apple PC. In fact I would think that the Apple would be worth even less after the same time period considering that it cannot be upgraded midway. Even an aesthetically perfect Apple PC would be worthless to buy after that time period.

Jan 14, 2009 at 12:06 PM Post #107 of 637
Quote:

Originally Posted by atomiccow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have to agree that Apple design is pretty but their products are, as always, form over function. If you go the non-Apple side, its not hard to get both form and function, all for cheaper too.

..and you have of course live with one over time, to know how it functions when you get used to it.
popcorn.gif

Jan 14, 2009 at 3:46 PM Post #108 of 637
Quote:

Originally Posted by atomiccow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In fact I would think that the Apple would be worth even less after the same time period considering that it cannot be upgraded midway. Even an aesthetically perfect Apple PC would be worthless to buy after that time period.

Macs aren't really for computer hobbyists. Most of us use them simply as tools to support other interests. As for your guess about resale value, it's easy enough to check. Do so and I think you'll be surprised.

I typically keep my laptops for about 2.5 years, selling them a few months before the AppleCare expires so that the gaining party still has warranty protection. I always get about half, and often more, of what I originally paid. I get a discount when I buy them and do my own RAM and HD upgrades, which substantially reduces the initial cost. And the computers invariably look and perform like new. A two year old pristine Mac laptop typically resales for more than similarly configured new PC laptop, and for good reason. Place the two machines side-by-side and I'll bet even you would prefer the Mac.
tongue.gif

Disclaimer: I have a long standing, substantial investment in Apple stock.

Jan 15, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #109 of 637
Thinkpad W500

Intel T9600 (2.8GHz)
15.4" 1920x1200 MATTE display
ATI Mobility FireGL V5700 512MB VRAM
4GB RAM (mushkin 996643)
Fingerprint Reader
320 GB HDD
DVD Burner
Card Reader
ExpressCard Slot
9-cell battery

$2,034 (without Lenovo's frequent sales, which was 38% for the W500 last time)

$200 For me to LEGALLY install a LEGALLY purchased copy (serious) of OSX on your laptop.
$350 for a 3 year warranty (I'll give you my number and will inform you in case I get a new number, call me any time in the next 3 years)

$2,584 for a Thinkpad W500 running OSX (well, I might add) with a better video card for graphic editing (drivers will be custom, so updates will come as people develop them). Purchasing 4GB RAM after market and giving away the stock RAM is cheaper than selecting the 4GB option from Apple, AND mushkin is currently the best DDR3 RAM manufacturer.

YOU CAN CALL ME ANYTIME FOR THE NEXT 3 YEARS AND I WILL SERVICE YOU.

IF THE LENOVO WARRANTY COVERS ANY DEFECTIVE PARTS, I WILL COVER SAID DEFECTIVE PARTS.

I don't care what you prefer, XP, OSX, Vista, 7 (running perfectly on my $350 Acer Aspire One 150), I just want your money.

Jan 15, 2009 at 4:09 AM Post #111 of 637
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick 214 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm still rocking with an iBook G4... No Intel junk here!
wink.gif

I've got one too! Mine hasn't been used in a long time, but it's in like new condition. I have several over models as well. I just can't part with some of these things. Dumb I know.

Jan 15, 2009 at 12:59 PM Post #112 of 637
I was considering switching... but now Windows 7 looks very promising.

Jan 15, 2009 at 4:06 PM Post #113 of 637
Quote:

wink.gif

The old G4 portables are really nice.
I myself have PowerBook G4 that I use from time to time. Its smooth.
smile.gif

Jan 15, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #115 of 637
Quote:

wink.gif

At the shop we still have a working G3,G4 and an Intel MACBOOK all far from
junk and 2 dell laptops running xp not yet junk but nowhere as smooth running
as the MAC's.

Jan 16, 2009 at 2:51 PM Post #116 of 637
im using iBOOK G4, plan to upgrade to Macbook Pro Unibody..

i also have a PC machine, i prefer my MAC...

join our forum (Philmug.ph) Philippine Macintosh User Group

Jan 17, 2009 at 1:28 AM Post #117 of 637
Many users who favor PC mentioned that PC platform provides more choices and user upgradable parts. But that only mean spending more time, afford and money in trying similar crappy products built for PC and back to square with one of them. Nowadays there aren't much difference among competitive products in term of performance and cost which warrant the time, effort and money. Thanks to evolution and competition in computer industry particularly standardization of hardware interfaces.

The question of PC or Mac come down to pros and cons of open system against close/integrated system. This decision is heavily influenced by application of the computer, certainly most business applications and even desktop publishing applications do not need high performance of graphic system as much as computer games (that is why game boys always prefer PC over Mac).

Jan 17, 2009 at 2:34 AM Post #118 of 637
Quote:

But that only mean spending more time, afford and money in trying similar crappy products built for PC and back to square with one of them.

Products built for PC? Do you really know what is inside an Apple PC? Apple is an OEM. They assemble computers, they don't manufacture them. There is no hardware built for Apple. They buy from PC component manufacturers. Why do you think they advertise Intel Core 2 Duo, ATI Radeon, and Nvidia discrete graphics... Apple doesn't even manufacture their LCD panels.

Quote:

The question of PC or Mac come down to pros and cons of open system against close/integrated system.

How is a Macbook more integrated than a laptop from Dell, HP, Asus, etc?

Jan 18, 2009 at 6:39 AM Post #119 of 637
I've been using a Mac now for nearly 2 years. I have to say that buying it was the worst thing I could have done regarding computer purchases.

I'm now on my 3rd unit thanks to build quality issues. If someone tells me Apple has better build quality than PC manufacturers I can't help but laugh hysterically. Even the unibody MacBook (and Pro) have softer feeling tops and bottoms than my plastic HP notebook.

Then theres the price performance ratio. The Dell Studio XPS 13 walks all over the unibody MacBook in terms of price and performance. $1299 for a faster processor, dedicated graphics, and a better OS? Yes please. Look at 15.4" systems. For $1,099 at newegg you can get an Asus with a 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB of RAM, 250GB HDD, memory card reader (8 in 1), HDMI, eSATA, full size ExpressCard, LED backlight, 2 year warranty (Asus also typically offers 1 year of accidental coverage if you register the system), 30 day "zero bright dot LCD" warranty, and a 1GB GeForce 9650M GT. It also comes with a carrying case. According to the specs its also only 1.1" thick. Newegg.com - ASUS N50 Series N50Vn-X1B NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo P8600(2.40GHz) 15.4" Wide XGA 4GB Memory 250GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce 9650M GT - Laptops / Notebooks Oh and you don't need any sort of adapters to hook up to standard displays. Amazing! I absolutely HATE DisplayPort. Apple only used mini DisplayPort for one reason and one reason only. DisplayPort itself is completely royalty free. By using their own connector, they get to pocket the entire $29.99 they charge you for that adapter.

Then theres OS X. Don't even get me started on how much better Vista and Windows 7 are. OS X requires the user to give up WAY too much in order to have a stable and functioning environment. You don't get even 1/4 as many software choices as Windows, plus the software that people generally consider "equivalent" is anything but. Just look at DVD Player compared to WinDVD, or Toast compared to Nero. No contest at all, Windows software is better by a long shot.

I just wish I had gotten this 3rd system, second replacement, before the economy tanked. That way I could have sold it and washed my hands clean of Apple computers. But now its impossible to find a buyer who doesn't want to low ball you on price.

I love my iPods and my iPhone, but the computers are junk.

Jan 18, 2009 at 12:45 PM Post #120 of 637
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoSXS /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Then theres OS X. Don't even get me started on how much better Vista and Windows 7 are. OS X requires the user to give up WAY too much in order to have a stable and functioning environment. You don't get even 1/4 as many software choices as Windows, plus the software that people generally consider "equivalent" is anything but. Just look at DVD Player compared to WinDVD, or Toast compared to Nero. No contest at all, Windows software is better by a long shot.

I use a Dell and I am planning on switching to a Mac Desktop at some future time.

The Mac OS is based on UNIX OS. The UNIX OS is a very robust operating system and very secure. The large Sun and HP server use UNIX. You gain security by using administrative accounts for administrative actives and normal accounts for everything else. All the large data centers adhere to this principle.

The problem with windows is Microsoft was concerned about features and not security. Microsoft blurred the line between what is an administrative task and normal task that is why virus writers can attack the system.

My Wife's computer got infected with a virus - two times. Both times McAfee could not remove the virus. She was running McAfee with an update virus definition. I spent two days worth of time fixing the problem. I have better things to do do with my time that removing virus from Wintel computers - that is why I am switching to Mac's .

Here is the perfect example of what I am talking about. http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/ptech/0...dup/index.html

Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back