PC to Mac: My Not-So-Genius Switch
Oct 28, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #631 of 637
A friend pointed out something to me a long time ago that if you wanted to use your computer for a particular job then move on get a mac if you wanted to do that job and some tweaking get a pc if you really enjoy tweaking
every aspect get one of the many distros of Linux. He owns and uses all three something if i had the time and money would probably enjoy since i seem to be a little short of both I choose the Mac.

Oct 28, 2010 at 7:57 PM Post #632 of 637

Quote:
A friend pointed out something to me a long time ago that if you wanted to use your computer for a particular job then move on get a mac if you wanted to do that job and some tweaking get a pc if you really enjoy tweaking
every aspect get one of the many distros of Linux. He owns and uses all three something if i had the time and money would probably enjoy since i seem to be a little short of both I choose the Mac.

I constantly work with all three OS'es, and he does have a point. It is also a matter of priorities and the particular jobs you want to do. For example there are sometimes that, for a variety of reasons, a job or objective can be accomplished more effectively or more nicely in one OS (for example, servers in Linux or gaming and office in Windows or safe web surfing in a Mac), so just as with headphones it is a good idea to have your priorities clear and get educated into getting the best experience in the OS you choose.

Oct 28, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #633 of 637
Safe Web browsing? Since when is web browsing hazardous.... People get virus's from clicking and downloading stuff, then they refuse to admit they did it because it's embarrassing. I know there are extreme cases where you can get something bad from just visiting a site, but depending on the site you probably deserve it. Windows is full of virus's because the majority of windows users are people who are blissfully unaware and ridiculously easy to phish. Not saying people who use mac's are any smarter, it's a matter of probabilities. Far more people use pc's, so you've got a greater chance of success(if you're the scammer) to set up shop in windows.

I bet there's just as many security holes in snow leopard, just no one notices and apple keeps extra quiet about them. 

Oct 28, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #634 of 637

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkpitt45 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Safe Web browsing? Since when is web browsing hazardous.... People get virus's from clicking and downloading stuff, then they refuse to admit they did it because it's embarrassing. I know there are extreme cases where you can get something bad from just visiting a site, but depending on the site you probably deserve it. Windows is full of virus's because the majority of windows users are people who are blissfully unaware and ridiculously easy to phish. Not saying people who use mac's are any smarter, it's a matter of probabilities. Far more people use pc's, so you've got a greater chance of success(if you're the scammer) to set up shop in windows.

I bet there's just as many security holes in snow leopard, just no one notices and apple keeps extra quiet about them. 

Actually, it probably is easier to hack Snow Leopard (starting by its address space layout randomization state right now) than either Win or Linux. Yet this is less important given that in the wild you don't find the threats that you find for windows, and it is more user accessible than Linux overall, at least thinking for the most computer illiterate persons (say the average grandmom or something), which was what was on my mind when writing that. And remember that those computer illiterate people are very likely to click whatever trash is presented to them which can lead to hazards for their computers, so it's not like they deserve it, they are just naive and the computers should be fool-proof, at least IMO.

Nov 1, 2010 at 4:50 AM Post #635 of 637

Quote:
 I still feel Windows 7 is a more intuitive UI and can't standard that monstrosity of a toolbar on Macs though.  Maybe I'd feel different if I only had 5 applications on it.  I also studied a bit of programming on Macs at university since that's all they used at the time.  

you didnt take the 5 seconds to look in system preferences to change the size of the toolbar?  or notice that it has dynamic local-zoom over the cursor?

kTNKZ.jpg

YUhEo.jpg

the apparent difference between the 2 OS is 1 has a fan base with a sad inferiority complex to go out of its way in bashing the other.
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/518074/i-really-don-t-care-about-apple-fi

Nov 1, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #636 of 637

Quote:

you didnt take the 5 seconds to look in system preferences to change the size of the toolbar?  or notice that it has dynamic local-zoom over the cursor?

kTNKZ.jpg

YUhEo.jpg

the apparent difference between the 2 OS is 1 has a fan base with a sad inferiority complex to go out of its way in bashing the other.
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/518074/i-really-don-t-care-about-apple-fi

Sorry you misinterpreted the issue was size and that I'm incapable of using system preferences.   Not that the OS is worth my time to since it isn't.  I simply think its a grotesque design suited for 10 year olds and below.  It's a sad attempt to be cute that just gets annoying.  Nice try though.  I'll take my quick launch tab thanks.  I hope your inferiority complex is still intact and thanks for re-injecting vitriol into the thread after everyone said each is a tool w/ a specific use and user.  Aren't you the pot calling the kettle black.  
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back