PC to Mac: My Not-So-Genius Switch
Jan 6, 2009 at 3:16 AM Post #76 of 637
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Moral of the story: PC > Mac

x2.

More options out there in terms of hardware with the pc market. I buy the hardware I want, not what apple *thinks* I should want.

I always get a laugh at what apple users have to put up with to own an apple. Jude, your experience is no different from my friend's.

Jan 6, 2009 at 5:56 AM Post #78 of 637
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't knock the flat keys until you spend time with them. The macbook keyboard is one of the best laptop keyboards I've ever used.

If its anything like the alu apple keyboards, it's wonderful. I'm using the wireless one with a Vista box and the USB version with an XP box.

Jan 6, 2009 at 6:03 AM Post #79 of 637
Yes, the chicklet keyboards are amazing. They're as good as the old ThinkPad keyboards used to be... short key travel and firm. Don't let the odd looks deceive you.

Jan 6, 2009 at 8:49 AM Post #81 of 637
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2.

More options out there in terms of hardware with the pc market. I buy the hardware I want, not what apple *thinks* I should want.

I always get a laugh at what apple users have to put up with to own an apple. Jude, your experience is no different from my friend's.

And I get a laugh at what windows users have to put up with for the priviledge of running windows, and what linux users will go through to run windows.

For me, running OS X is the closest thing to "don't have to worry about it" of any operating system I've experienced in the last 27 years. Is it perfect? No of course not. It's just damn good. If you don't fight it, and just spend a little time getting used to it, it's very intuitive. It works as a cohesive whole. From the BSD underpinnings to the gui. You can control the system remotely without ever using a gui, or you can control everything from the gui, without ever opening up terminal. The only problems I've ever seen come from trying to fight how it does work, and make it do what it wasn't designed to do. There are kinks with the new mini-display port, but I'd bet they get resolved. There have been a lot of kinks, just like there are with any computer.

Jan 6, 2009 at 8:52 AM Post #82 of 637
I currently own a Dell XPS M1330. I understand some of the nice features and really the build quality advantages that are gained with a premium unit. I spent the money on an XPS because I wanted a solid body, a great looking screen, and good warranty service. To me, more than anything, when purchasing from a computer OEM the warranty service is key. Most major companies have a higher end premium model that places the units on all very similar build quality levels.

I have considered purchasing an Apple notebook before but I don’t think I will any longer. I wasn’t aware their warranty service was so lacking. Those are major issues to anyone who spends time on the road or can’t have a break down. My laptop is my computer, I don’t own a desktop anymore. So any down time is a major, major issue for me. I paid more for warranty coverage than any other aspect of the system, and at $350 on the AppleCare I’d hope you would have gotten a similar level of service.

They seemed to treat you well within the confines of their service system, which is good. Refunding, covering shipping costs, etc. But no on-site service is the real issue here.

I can understand the OS X stance. I don’t understand the Windows Vista one (which is superior in every way compared to XP, in my opinion) but that’s not really a big deal here. I think people need to appreciate opinion in this regard and that people want different things from their user environment. People who often talk about "problem free" end up blowing my mind because to be honest the only OS that isn't in my experience is Linux (still rough, very). Windows and my limited exposure to OS X both seem very good, just different.

However, you seem to paying so much for your system that… it just doesn’t seem really worth it. Not only do you have to pay the premium on the unit but then you’re nailed into other extras and areas that simply aren’t worthwhile to me. Take for instance the miniDisplayPort. There is no reason Apple should be forcing their users into this. It is technically identical to DisplayPort at the electrical level and it does nothing legitimate to save on size. It honestly just seems like a grab to sell dongles.

So in the end I’m glad you’re happy with the unit. I also thank you for being honest and specific about your experience. A real consumer review, if not intentionally for that purpose, if there ever was one. But you put the final nail in the coffin for me with regard to buying an Apple product. OS X just doesn’t seem worth the other issues.

Jan 6, 2009 at 8:55 AM Post #83 of 637
I don't think it's a desire to sell dongles, I think it's an obsession with thin. Making laptops thinner has obviously been a design goal since apple got into the portable computer game.

Jan 6, 2009 at 8:59 AM Post #84 of 637
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think it's a desire to sell dongles, I think it's an obsession with thin. Making laptops thinner has obviously been a design goal since apple got into the portable computer game.

But it really doesn't help in that regard. The DisplayPort port is a similar size to USB and certainly thinner than the ethernet adapter port. So where does this help? No where. There just seems to be no point to it at all.

Jan 6, 2009 at 11:50 AM Post #85 of 637
Vista and PC bashing really gets tiring. it works. And I don't worry about Vista a minute. Most of the time, it's the actual felxibility of the windows ecosystem and the cheer numbers of options in terms of software and hardware that tend to cause OS issues. You can't have both a 'free' environment and full stability (you also can't test all PC builds). Apple is more restricted so less likely to have software issues and the limited number of products helps developer when they test. Does it really mean that OS X is better or more stable? I have had no BSOD with Vista EVER (been a year and a half), so I would not say so, but yeah, I would say that statistically there are more chances for a PC to crash than a mac, just because of that ecosystem difference. Blaming that on Vista is amusing (and I am not saying Micro$oft is a philantropic company either)...

Anyway, Jude's experience just tend to show that Apple is like any other organisation really and that it's down to individual preferences and situation.

Personally I don't like OS X. I thought about switching last year - I like change - but I hated the new MBP as soon as Apple decided to go glossy only and it seems I was right to get my Vaio Z series instead (although I'd love an optical out)

So far so good (touch wood).

Jan 6, 2009 at 12:44 PM Post #86 of 637
I hope you haven't missed the MacBook Wheel... it's not really related to this thread, but very funny IMHO! The video must have been a lot of work, but totally worth it. Not sure if Mac users will appreciate it quite as much as us normal people though
wink.gif

Apple Introduces Revolutionary New Laptop With No Keyboard | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

Jan 6, 2009 at 4:31 PM Post #87 of 637
Quote:

Originally Posted by ozz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wish Apple would offer a keyboard with a trackpad and make it bluetooth
then I would get a mini for the HTPC.

Yes please!
Would be an ideal companion for a Mac mini.

Jan 7, 2009 at 1:36 PM Post #88 of 637
Interesting, relative to this thread, the 17" MacBook Pro just announced can be ordered with a matt screen with no glass. Now if I could do that for my next 15" MBP, I'll be most pleased.

Jan 7, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #89 of 637
Dang....and I just bought a new 17" MacBook Pro a week ago!
frown.gif

Jan 7, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #90 of 637
Quote:

Originally Posted by IceClass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dang....and I just bought a new 17" MacBook Pro a week ago!
frown.gif

Oh well!
Most of us hold off buying new Apple gear the last weeks before these Apple events, especially when a new unit is expected. As with the 17" MacBook Pro now, since it was left out on the previous MacBook Pro update...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back