PC to Mac: My Not-So-Genius Switch
Feb 18, 2009 at 5:10 AM Post #211 of 637
I believe it was a joke, ozz
wink.gif

Feb 25, 2009 at 3:55 AM Post #214 of 637
Im sorry for your bad experience Jude. I hope that you will continue enjoy your 17" more and more during the next months (and years!!
wink.gif
). Thank God I didn't have any of your problems when I got my 15inch one last Month... I really love it. Macbooks are the pinnacle of laptop design. And of course Leopard is a joy to use.

Feb 25, 2009 at 7:27 AM Post #215 of 637
I'm glad to see they are now offering a matte option on the new unibody 17, even if you do have to pay $50 extra for it. No clue why Apple axed the matte option on the regular 15, it was VERY popular.

Feb 25, 2009 at 9:07 AM Post #216 of 637
Ha, just another sucker saying "I belong somewhere".

I saved so much money with PCs, that I used the rest for worthy stuff like hobbies, holidays etc.

Apple can't come close to any desktops or laptops for performance but too many people continue to be turned on by marketing. You do know that Apple products are made in China just like the rest of them? Not saying that is a bad thing but you'll be very surprised at the massive markup that Apple claims on the retail prices from the manufacturing costs.

Note : I'm not an Apple hater, just an extensive reviewer of computer technology since the TR-80.

Feb 25, 2009 at 9:34 AM Post #217 of 637
Yes, most Mac fans know that Macs are made in China, Singapore & Malaysia but the build quality is second to none. Looks like the OP has had a bad first-experience by the sounds of it. I changed from PC to Mac around 2 years ago. It's the greatest thing ive done on computers. Im 16, youre probably all going to fire at this thread now with 'mac fanboy' posts but all im saying is that theres 3 mainstream operating systems and people have their right to choose which one they like. I've had a MacBook Pro for 2 years, no problems at all (battery only, replaced on the spot at the Apple store out of warranty) and it's the greatest computer I've had. Just my 2 cents...

EDIT: And no, im not a PC hater... I use them on a daily basis at school and I have a few of my own for modding and games, plus the rest of the family use Windows...
biggrin.gif

Feb 25, 2009 at 11:56 AM Post #218 of 637
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gouki /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ha, just another sucker saying "I belong somewhere".

I saved so much money with PCs, that I used the rest for worthy stuff like hobbies, holidays etc.

Apple can't come close to any desktops or laptops for performance but too many people continue to be turned on by marketing. You do know that Apple products are made in China just like the rest of them? Not saying that is a bad thing but you'll be very surprised at the massive markup that Apple claims on the retail prices from the manufacturing costs.

Note : I'm not an Apple hater, just an extensive reviewer of computer technology since the TR-80.

There is no reason to be so offensive with people here. If you don't like the whole concept of giving money to a company for R&D and breakthrough production techniques (even in China), then you can always save your money and buy whatever you want. Its your choice. And if you consider computers something that you just need it for your work, spending your money in your hobbies, there are people that consider computers as one of their main hobbies and are willing to spend more money, not for the performance (which is something completely relevant as performance is the only feature that constantly degrades from the time you buy your machine), and also not for the need of belonging somewhere as you mentioned. Just for the enjoyment of using something well constructed, beautiful in the eye, and (for the time being) more functional from windows (don't forget that when windows 7 come out snow leopard will hit the selves though).

You are not the only veteran here. I am using coputers since 1989, and I can honestly say that I don't LOVE macs, of course they have some flaws, as anything in this earth, but currently I consider them far ahead from the competition concerning their design and quaity of materials used for their production and they are my choice for everyday work. That does not prevent me though to have a desktop running vista and another laptop running ubuntu!! 80% of the time spending on the computers though is spent in front of my current mac.

Feb 25, 2009 at 12:24 PM Post #219 of 637
Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptHowie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, most Mac fans know that Macs are made in China, Singapore & Malaysia but the build quality is second to none. Looks like the OP has had a bad first-experience by the sounds of it. I changed from PC to Mac around 2 years ago. It's the greatest thing ive done on computers. Im 16, youre probably all going to fire at this thread now with 'mac fanboy' posts but all im saying is that theres 3 mainstream operating systems and people have their right to choose which one they like. I've had a MacBook Pro for 2 years, no problems at all (battery only, replaced on the spot at the Apple store out of warranty) and it's the greatest computer I've had. Just my 2 cents...

EDIT: And no, im not a PC hater... I use them on a daily basis at school and I have a few of my own for modding and games, plus the rest of the family use Windows...
biggrin.gif

Build quality? Mate you probably have a well built MB Pro but others aren't so lucky. Apple is not known for build quality, they are known for design. 2 different thing. IBM/Lenovo is known for build quality, every heard of thinkpads caught in house fires and still live to tell the story? MB Pros have had problems with heat for as long as I can remember, which is why they could never put a better video card or higher resolution LCD panels for the fact that this will drive over the temperature and costs through the roof. And since you're also from Melbourne you probably know how much MB Pros especially the 17" cost compared to everybody else, too much I'd say!

All I'm saying is that I'm sick of the overhype and the gullibility of people buying into Macs, you are not getting anything technologically superior, you are just buying something that looks nice. And I have a beef with Apple and all their bloody patents, which had always played dirty with the competition.

Feb 25, 2009 at 12:48 PM Post #220 of 637
Quote:

Originally Posted by ironeisnna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is no reason to be so offensive with people here. If you don't like the whole concept of giving money to a company for R&D and breakthrough production techniques (even in China), then you can always save your money and buy whatever you want. Its your choice. And if you consider computers something that you just need it for your work, spending your money in your hobbies, there are people that consider computers as one of their main hobbies and are willing to spend more money, not for the performance (which is something completely relevant as performance is the only feature that constantly degrades from the time you buy your machine), and also not for the need of belonging somewhere as you mentioned. Just for the enjoyment of using something well constructed, beautiful in the eye, and (for the time being) more functional from windows (don't forget that when windows 7 come out snow leopard will hit the selves though).

My apologees then. I hope people can also apologise to the hard working people of China who are earning less than $200 a month making these overpriced notebooks so that Apple can benefit the profits for themselves and their image.

Quote:

You are not the only veteran here. I am using coputers since 1989, and I can honestly say that I don't LOVE macs, of course they have some flaws, as anything in this earth, but currently I consider them far ahead from the competition concerning their design and quaity of materials used for their production and they are my choice for everyday work. That does not prevent me though to have a desktop running vista and another laptop running ubuntu!! 80% of the time spending on the computers though is spent in front of my current mac.

You know, if Apple did not go the Intel route, they would not be called Apple computers today, in fact I think they dropped that name now to just Apple because of their iPod success. The fact is, Apple knows that it cannot compete with PCs for features so it banks everything on its operating system. Now OSX is a nice system, a throwback to UNIX/LINUX with a prettier interface, but it is just software. Software is very portable and if there was no Apple hardware then PC people can also use OSX on their systems. BUT Apple is a marketing company, they can twist PC hardware into Macintoshes and call that an Apple and make even more money. Apple will never let OSX become open source for this reason.

Product quality, now that is another thing as I've explained to CaptHowie. For every thing that you add to a product you have to subtract something, in Apple's case it is the features and components commonly found in most PCs like card readers, PCMCIA ports, S-Video output and so on. Apple know that they can't compete with Dell or other companies on features, so why not take out all that and spend the money making it look good? So ultimately that is what you pay for and you have to feel good about that.

Feb 25, 2009 at 12:59 PM Post #221 of 637
You have your points and are completely respected. Personally I don't care about the features that apple drops, as I hardly ever use them. Although macbooks pro have PCMCIA slots and it is easily to get a convertor from DVI to S-Video, but I got your point. In the end its a matter of taste.
smily_headphones1.gif
I also consider a good thing that there is a different voice and a (slight maybe) competition to the windows platform from a commercial company, as Microsoft don't seem to care that much about the free linux distributions around there...

Feb 25, 2009 at 1:21 PM Post #222 of 637
Quote:

Build quality? Mate you probably have a well built MB Pro but others aren't so lucky. Apple is not known for build quality, they are known for design. 2 different thing. IBM/Lenovo is known for build quality, every heard of thinkpads caught in house fires and still live to tell the story? MB Pros have had problems with heat for as long as I can remember, which is why they could never put a better video card or higher resolution LCD panels for the fact that this will drive over the temperature and costs through the roof. And since you're also from Melbourne you probably know how much MB Pros especially the 17" cost compared to everybody else, too much I'd say!

All I'm saying is that I'm sick of the overhype and the gullibility of people buying into Macs, you are not getting anything technologically superior, you are just buying something that looks nice. And I have a beef with Apple and all their bloody patents, which had always played dirty with the competition.

There's not much in a PC excepting games that the average person can leverage from a high-end graphics card. In Mac OS X, a great many programs can utilise the built-in graphics, video and audio subsystems extensively to produce highly functional applications. This translates to Macs being able to do a lot of things that can't easily or cheaply be done on PCs. Just have a look at what the various iLife '09 programs can do, then go and found out how much it would cost you in software to duplicate that on a PC, if you can at all.

Quote:

My apologees then. I hope people can also apologise to the hard working people of China who are earning less than $200 a month making these overpriced notebooks so that Apple can benefit the profits for themselves and their image.

Their cost of living is also considerably lower than in your country. You have to factor that into account. Anyhow, if you want to complain about the wages in China, stop buying, well, anything! Just about everything is made there nowadays. If it weren't, those people would be earning nothing. I think a good something is a lot better than nothing, and so do the majority of Chinese who had nothing before.

Quote:

Product quality, now that is another thing as I've explained to CaptHowie. For every thing that you add to a product you have to subtract something, in Apple's case it is the features and components commonly found in most PCs like card readers, PCMCIA ports, S-Video output and so on. Apple know that they can't compete with Dell or other companies on features, so why not take out all that and spend the money making it look good? So ultimately that is what you pay for and you have to feel good about that.

Cupholders do not equate to product quality. If you also look at PC laptop usage, you'll very rarely find people using both PC card or Expresscard ports, if they do at all. S-Video out can be had via a DVI to S-Video and composite adaptor, if you're one of the rare people that use it. Apple don't bother throwing that stuff in there because they know the majority of people don't use those things. The less extra crap put in means the less that can go wrong with the machine. On the contrary to your assertion, Apple for years included MORE things than what used to be on PC laptops. Ethernet, a modem, Firewire and other things used to be standard back when PC laptops required PCMCIA cards for those features.

You are right though, people buy Macs for Mac OS X. The focus is entirely around the software and its functionality.

Feb 25, 2009 at 1:41 PM Post #223 of 637
I have purchased 2 Macs for my kids. Both died within a year - total death - and the Mac people said they were unrepairable and that they had been damaged by the user! And that was the end of that.

Feb 25, 2009 at 2:59 PM Post #224 of 637
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frihed89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have purchased 2 Macs for my kids. Both died within a year - total death - and the Mac people said they were unrepairable and that they had been damaged by the user! And that was the end of that.

If it was physical damage no mfg will honor the warranty outside of that Apple
will usually make an effort to resolve the issue or at least thats been my experience what exactly was the issue with your kids computers.

Feb 25, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #225 of 637
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frihed89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Total death?
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back