PC to Mac: My Not-So-Genius Switch
Feb 25, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #226 of 637
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's not much in a PC excepting games that the average person can leverage from a high-end graphics card. In Mac OS X, a great many programs can utilise the built-in graphics, video and audio subsystems extensively to produce highly functional applications. This translates to Macs being able to do a lot of things that can't easily or cheaply be done on PCs. Just have a look at what the various iLife '09 programs can do, then go and found out how much it would cost you in software to duplicate that on a PC, if you can at all.

You make it sound like Apple innovated the computer, where a great deal of others have done the exact same thing. PCs aren't typically sold as an package because of their ability to be configured in so many different ways, its limitless. Techies understand this so well, if there was a perfect headphone that could be used anywhere at anytime on anything then please show me. There is nothing that comes out of the factory the way everybody wants it, that's why people have to tinker with headphones, computers and cars just to get the right configuration.

But if you seriously do not know where to start then get what the companies recommend you with their all-in-one packages. I'd rather get a cheaper system and more software including free ones that does the job.

Quote:

Their cost of living is also considerably lower than in your country. You have to factor that into account. Anyhow, if you want to complain about the wages in China, stop buying, well, anything! Just about everything is made there nowadays. If it weren't, those people would be earning nothing. I think a good something is a lot better than nothing, and so do the majority of Chinese who had nothing before.

I think you're missing the point, a great deal of our products are indeed made in China, but nothing compares to the incredible markups that Apple puts on all their products. The old iPod cost less than $20 to make, it sold for 10 times as much. When an equivalent product comes out at $50 cheaper its not good enough because its not expensive.

Quote:

Cupholders do not equate to product quality.

confused.gif

Quote:

If you also look at PC laptop usage, you'll very rarely find people using both PC card or Expresscard ports, if they do at all. S-Video out can be had via a DVI to S-Video and composite adaptor, if you're one of the rare people that use it. Apple don't bother throwing that stuff in there because they know the majority of people don't use those things. The less extra crap put in means the less that can go wrong with the machine. On the contrary to your assertion, Apple for years included MORE things than what used to be on PC laptops. Ethernet, a modem, Firewire and other things used to be standard back when PC laptops required PCMCIA cards for those features.

How can you tell me that Apple used to put all those things in their computers as a good thing, and none of it in their macs today as equally good? You seem to forget that Apple is such a company that jumps on every new technology created out there which is why they appear to be the first at having the ethernet, modem and so one. Apple tried to capitalise on proprietary stuff like firewire because they felt that the video industry will one day make it a standard and be rewarded financially for it (it didn't).

As for the crap that you think PC laptops have, well I like my built-in memory card reader, remote control, media control buttons, 3/4 USB ports, s-video out (yes I still connect to movie projectors and TVs) and 1920x1200 LCD screen on my 15.4" notebook.

I don't ever want unnecessary dongles and accessories sticking out of my USB ports like a Christmas tree except for external hard drives.

Quote:

You are right though, people buy Macs for Mac OS X. The focus is entirely around the software and its functionality.

Which begs the question, why being a software is it still so expensive?

Feb 26, 2009 at 5:38 AM Post #227 of 637
True Mac's are not for tweakers they are for people that just want to take it out of the
box hook it up and do the task they require their increased sales even in these economic
times have proved that. I am sure the more popularity they gain the more bashing will
increase.

Feb 26, 2009 at 11:40 AM Post #229 of 637
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gouki /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You make it sound like Apple innovated the computer, where a great deal of others have done the exact same thing.

Apple have innovated considerably. The iLife suite of software is the epitome of that IMO. iMovie gave ordinary people the ability to make awesome movies just using drag-and-drop from a digicam. Garageband has done the same thing for amateur bands and podcasters. Previously, to do that, you had to pay thousands of dollars for professional software, and spend a great many hours learning how to use it.

They were the first to: use magnetic latches in a notebook, use a power cable that wouldn't send your laptop flying if you tripped over the cable, make a brand-name computer using USB, sell a computer that uses a mouse, sell a computer with a graphical user interface, design a PDA, develop useable handwriting recognition and...shall I go on? I'd probably hit the post word limit if I did.

Quote:

PCs aren't typically sold as an package because of their ability to be configured in so many different ways, its limitless.

PCs are typically sold as a package. I worked in retail. Most people are too clueless to build a PC. The major difference is the iMac, and in that you are correct. But the main point is a the same, as people going to a store will buy whatever package of computer, monitor and whatever is on special that day.

Quote:

I think you're missing the point, a great deal of our products are indeed made in China, but nothing compares to the incredible markups that Apple puts on all their products. The old iPod cost less than $20 to make, it sold for 10 times as much. When an equivalent product comes out at $50 cheaper its not good enough because its not expensive.

How much does it cost per iPod for all the development it took to design it?

Quote:

How can you tell me that Apple used to put all those things in their computers as a good thing, and none of it in their macs today as equally good? You seem to forget that Apple is such a company that jumps on every new technology created out there which is why they appear to be the first at having the ethernet, modem and so one. Apple tried to capitalise on proprietary stuff like firewire because they felt that the video industry will one day make it a standard and be rewarded financially for it (it didn't).

Apple doesn't jump on every new technology (there are far more new things out there that Apple never used than you might imagine). They jump on what they see is the future of technology. They also put in their machines what is used and useful for their customers.

Quote:

Which begs the question, why being a software is it still so expensive?

Check the second-hand market value of a Mac and a PC notebook that started out the same price in a year or two after they were made. But to answer your question directly, look at the software you get with a Mac, and the software you get with a PC, and what it can do. You are most definitely paying for the whole experience.

Mar 1, 2009 at 8:24 AM Post #231 of 637
This thread has just turned into a Mac vs. PC flaming thread. There are enough of these around already.

Yes, Macs do have their design flaws... BUT... most PC's usually have twice because most (i said most because that does not mean all...) are poorly made. Yes, I am aware that the MBP have heat issues, as the previous poster said, they always have. I also have an old HP laptop lying around somewhere... the power adapter is broken (from normal use) and i've reinstalled windows over 4 times on it. Over two years using my MBP and OS X, ive never had a Kernel Panic and it's only frozen up once or twice. Everything from encoding and playing 1080p movies to a normal Firefox browser session with over 300 tabs open in usually 4 windows. Now I think that's quality...

EDIT: Oh, also forgot... yes, I do live in Melbourne as my sig says. Yes, I do have to put up with the Australian currency against the greenback. Yes, I do know how much a 17" MacBook Pro costs. It's up to yourself as an individual to know if you want to spend that much. Personally, I think OS X is 100% better than Windows. Yes, I know there is going to be more firing posts at me by Windows fanboys but your really paying for 'the experience' and reliability. You make the choice.

Mar 1, 2009 at 8:40 AM Post #232 of 637
^ Yeah, sadly all threads discussing Mac's or Mac OS X turn into flaming threads.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 1, 2009 at 8:50 AM Post #233 of 637
^ Yeah, I think I just added too the argument a bit too much
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 1, 2009 at 10:43 AM Post #234 of 637
Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptHowie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, Macs do have their design flaws... BUT... most PC's usually have twice because most (i said most because that does not mean all...) are poorly made.

Define poorly made.

Mar 1, 2009 at 12:22 PM Post #235 of 637
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jigglybootch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Define poorly made.

How about this?

Laptop reliability – the best and worst | csmonitor.com

They are all very similar. How could they be different. They use the same parts and are often made in the same handful of factories regardless of brand.

Any mass produced product can have flaws. Apple is far from immune from it, in fact they seem to suffer from more than most. Thats probably because they try to do things differently more often. But on the flip side they are usually very good at resolving these issues with easy repair/replace policies in place.

Mar 1, 2009 at 1:25 PM Post #236 of 637
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any mass produced product can have flaws. Apple is far from immune from it, in fact they seem to suffer from more than most. Thats probably because they try to do things differently more often. But on the flip side they are usually very good at resolving these issues with easy repair/replace policies in place.

I'm sure that with Apple's small market share, any hardware/software flaws probably stand out a lot more. If 17 people out of 100 have problems, it's noticed. If 17 people out of 1,000,000 have problems then it's not as easily noticed.

Mar 1, 2009 at 1:35 PM Post #237 of 637
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jigglybootch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sure that with Apple's small market share, any hardware/software flaws probably stand out a lot more. If 17 people out of 100 have problems, it's noticed. If 17 people out of 1,000,000 have problems then it's not as easily noticed.

That second 17 should theoretically go up as well- to something like 170,000 people out of a million would have problems.

Mar 1, 2009 at 1:36 PM Post #238 of 637
Just boot-up time alone!
I sit there waiting and staring at my hard drive light on 2 different PC's (work and kids). In that time, I have booted up on my iMac, reviewed all my mail and Head-fi activities, and shut down, showered and shaved (you know, the 3 S's)

Mar 1, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #240 of 637
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just boot-up time alone!
I sit there waiting and staring at my hard drive light on 2 different PC's (work and kids). In that time, I have booted up on my iMac, reviewed all my mail and Head-fi activities, and shut down, showered and shaved (you know, the 3 S's)

Well said!
Mac OS X also have a really fast sleep/wake up function.
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back