PC rig
Jul 17, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #16 of 22
Quote:
By the moment I'm thinking of 100-150 IEMs because is way too much money to save, probably a pair of Vsonic, or a pair of audiotechnia headphones, and then a sub 200 amp dac like the Hifi man EF-2A, still im lurking around the forum just getting some idea

At the current range you are looking at, Headphones>DAC/Amp , for some of the IEM's you may see, they may be sensitive enough to actually need an amp or DAC upgrade but at this mid range, the headphones should cost either the same or less than the DAC and amp for best actual performance and enjoyment in my opinion. Try $250 headphones or IEM's with an $150 DAC and amp unit. 

Jul 17, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #17 of 22
Ok, If you plan to use your macbook then you might find IEMs sound funny, because IEMs are pretty low impedance, and typical audio jacks (especially on PC/Laptops) can have high input impedance.
So go for headphones in that price range that have > 32 ohms, based on your listening tastes.
If you want to go for amp, and will use your macbook as source, then you should think about a DAC as well.

Jul 17, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #18 of 22
Quote:
Ok, If you plan to use your macbook then you might find IEMs sound funny, because IEMs are pretty low impedance, and typical audio jacks (especially on PC/Laptops) can have high input impedance.
So go for headphones in that price range that have > 32 ohms, based on your listening tastes.
If you want to go for amp, and will use your macbook as source, then you should think about a DAC as well.

Thanks for elaborating on my general post but yeah, try over 32 ohms as the MB has trouble below it, I tried it with a 16 ohm earbud and oh my bejeezus, it was so noisy.

Jul 18, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #19 of 22
Im thinking on getting a pair of shure SE215, just to go with a safe bet,and incase use some EQ, then i'll save a bit more and buy the amp and the dac.
thanks for the advice guys!

Jul 19, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #21 of 22
Good Luck, but keep in mind that they are sensitive, which means they'll reveal noise in the PC audio much more readily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back