PC rig
Jul 16, 2012 at 9:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

tomveg

New Head-Fier
Hey guys
I have a question that have been around in my head lately, I connect my laptop to my preamp/amp combo via aux in, so the question is do I need to buy a DAC or something  or 
I'm just very confuse o doing things wrong

Jul 16, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #2 of 22
A USB DAC will be a good improvement.

Jul 16, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #4 of 22
"Welcome to head fi! Sorry about your wallet!"

How about we start off by asking him of his gear before jumping the gun. From his profile, he has SKullcandy's and a $10 set of Sony's. 

Your profile doesn't state your amplifier used, but with those two headphones, a DAC isn't needed, and heck with those, an external amp isn't needed as well.

Jul 16, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

How about we start off by asking him of his gear before jumping the gun. From his profile, he has SKullcandy's and a $10 set of Sony's. 

Your profile doesn't state your amplifier used, but with those two headphones, a DAC isn't needed, and heck with those, an external amp isn't needed as well.

Thank you for looking at his profile.

I agree with bowei006. If you are looking at upgrading your set up (assuming your profile is up to day), I suggest getting a pair of ATs or Grados or Shures first. 

Jul 16, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Thank you for looking at his profile.

I agree with bowei006. If you are looking at upgrading your set up (assuming your profile is up to day), I suggest getting a pair of ATs or Grados or Shures first. 

With your current gear. HEadphones, then look at everything else! :) 

Can we have the amplifier you are using? And also whoever told you to buy it. I kid, but I won't count the Hesh's and the Sony's that are listed....well you know.

Let's stop with this can we guys:
Can I get some headphones?:
M50
What desktop amp sub $200 can I get:
O2
Will an amp improve my sound:
Yes, now here's blah blah blah
Will a DAC improve this?:
Yes, go get one

And ask them for more info and everything.?
Back when I was a newb, I was just like the list above, but pointing it out and learning is a step on the path of headfi dom

Jul 16, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #7 of 22
Wow. Good call, both of you. I didn't even think to look at his profile, I just figured he had a setup and was wondering how he could improve it, and he kept hearing about DACs.

Put that way, I agree with bowei006 and MomijiTMO. And with possibly upgrading your headphones first.

Jul 16, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:
Wow. Good call, both of you. I didn't even think to look at his profile, I just figured he had a setup and was wondering how he could improve it, and he kept hearing about DACs.

Put that way, I agree with bowei006 and MomijiTMO. And with possibly upgrading your headphones first.

Kuma-san, admitting it is a man! :) I have a good opinion of you kuma-san :)

Always nice, respectful, has his own opinions but can agree to others when pointed out :)

I'm an introvert, and compliments help so here :) ITs not usually done on head fi but whatever :)

Keep it up Kuma san.

Jul 16, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:
Kuma-san, admitting it is a man! :) I have a good opinion of you kuma-san :)

Always nice, respectful, has his own opinions but can agree to others when pointed out :)

I'm an introvert, and compliments help so here :) ITs not usually done on head fi but whatever :)

Keep it up Kuma san.

Thank you very much for this kind post, bowei006. I'll be sure to keep it up.

Jul 16, 2012 at 10:26 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:
Thank you very much for this kind post, bowei006. I'll be sure to keep it up.

Warn me sometimes, I get biased with my favorite headphones and what not sometimes lol.  As a member of the bear family as well, I, sir Panda give you the honorable name of kuma-san!

Jul 16, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:
Warn me sometimes, I get biased with my favorite headphones and what not sometimes lol.  As a member of the bear family as well, I, sir Panda give you the honorable name of kuma-san!

Will do.

And yeah, I noticed that the other night. That pandas are bears. I guess I must've had too much dust in that part of my brain. Lol. Then I was like, hmm, brown bear....panda. Both bears! Lol. And kuma-san....will be in my signature.

Jul 17, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

If thats the case then yes I agree with you.
Headphones > DAC/Amp.

Jul 17, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #13 of 22
Thanks for the advice people, Im working on getting nice stuff, since I dont have the experience, and money, I prefer going easy and steady.
My amp/preamp is an old yamaha sound system , it has been working well but i don't know I feel like something is missing with the sound it delivers. 
So first thing is first, I've been thinking on buying Sennheisers headphones and a FiiO amp/dac just for the start, any suggestion will be welcome.

Jul 17, 2012 at 7:17 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:
Thanks for the advice people, Im working on getting nice stuff, since I dont have the experience, and money, I prefer going easy and steady.
My amp/preamp is an old yamaha sound system , it has been working well but i don't know I feel like something is missing with the sound it delivers. 
So first thing is first, I've been thinking on buying Sennheisers headphones and a FiiO amp/dac just for the start, any suggestion will be welcome.

What's your amp and DAC budget? Do you want portable or desktop?  What is it's purpose going to be? What is your headphones going to cost?
Seeing as you already have a Macbook , if the headphones you were looking at are ...well whatever, then we can just skip the amp and DAC and just spend more money on headphones. The macbooks already do a good job for headphones at the $200 range;

Jul 17, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #15 of 22
By the moment I'm thinking of 100-150 IEMs because is way too much money to save, probably a pair of Vsonic, or a pair of audiotechnia headphones, and then a sub 200 amp dac like the Hifi man EF-2A, still im lurking around the forum just getting some idea

Users who are viewing this thread

Back