PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)
Jan 12, 2016 at 8:58 AM Post #8,641 of 9,120
  I'd prefer not to use integrated graphics, because...

And I think I'd rather just buy more hard drives instead of future proofing for HEVC. Hmm...I could upgrade from the Celeron G1820 to an i3 4170, get a GT 730, 4 more GB of RAM, and another 1150 socket motherboard and more RAM, then I can build another PC for whatever purpose because I already have a spare case, PSU, SSD, HDD and a hypothetical Celeron lying around.

Dude!

Lately when I watch anime, more and more are in HEVC, and some movies too, so I really would take it into account. 

I have no ideea if anything under GTX750 is able to pull 4k reasonably, but I assume that 750 should, considering that the mobile version of 950 does output 4k without problems. 

Forget that! Just took a look in Nvidia site: Lowest is either GTX650, 765, 850, 950. Anything under and it will not work. So best if you could fiind a cheap GTX650 or 765, but 750 does not support 4k output. 

Another thought to myself: MadVR requires at least GTX980 for 4k and full settings (a large TV something something) (for 4k, one might need dual gtx980, for highest settings). This, and at least I3 processor. Why on this planet would someone build a HTPC with such a high end configuration, if they would not also use if for gaming. This translates to : I would build such a computer, but use it both for Home Theater and Gaming. 

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:22 AM Post #8,642 of 9,120

I'd prefer not to use integrated graphics, because...

And I think I'd rather just buy more hard drives instead of future proofing for HEVC. Hmm...I could upgrade from the Celeron G1820 to an i3 4170, get a GT 730, 4 more GB of RAM, and another 1150 socket motherboard and more RAM, then I can build another PC for whatever purpose because I already have a spare case, PSU, SSD, HDD and a hypothetical Celeron lying around.

Dude!

Lately when I watch anime, more and more are in HEVC, and some movies too, so I really would take it into account. 

I have no ideea if anything under GTX750 is able to pull 4k reasonably, but I assume that 750 should, considering that the mobile version of 950 does output 4k without problems. 

Forget that! Just took a look in Nvidia site: Lowest is either GTX650, 765, 850, 950. Anything under and it will not work. So best if you could fiind a cheap GTX650 or 765, but 750 does not support 4k output. 

Another thought to myself: MadVR requires at least GTX980 for 4k and full settings (a large TV something something) (for 4k, one might need dual gtx980, for highest settings). This, and at least I3 processor. Why on this planet would someone build a HTPC with such a high end configuration, if they would not also use if for gaming. This translates to : I would build such a computer, but use it both for Home Theater and Gaming. 

Yes, but anything more than 720p (1080p for BD/movies) for most anime is overkill. It may be true that more and more encoders are adopting HEVC, a majority of existing anime is still using h.264. Ugh, PCs are so bad at 4K home theater stuff right now. How hard is it for a computer that costs less than a GTX980 to be able to proficiently play 4K media?

Jan 12, 2016 at 10:10 AM Post #8,643 of 9,120
You can play 4k on almost anything if it is encoded as h.264 8-bit, good old hardware decoders along with either bumping down all madvr settings or just bumping over to something like EVR will take care of the rendering being an elitist about resolution and stuff like that is almost completely useless at this point. Nearly all anime is either native 720p or 900p, even from BDs. 

HEVC is becoming more an more prevalent out there, since encoders seem to like it. But there is currently no point in building a rig specifically for it. There is still h.264 10-bit that is being released, as most source material is still as such. This is an h.264 10-bit and Xvid thing all over again, the anime community, or at least the encoders and groups are releasing in a codec that will not be used outside of that specific community. And even if you are having issues, I believe that h.265 can be transcoded back into a workable h.264. As long as you have some CPU sitting around and a little bit of time.

Jan 12, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #8,644 of 9,120
  You can play 4k on almost anything if it is encoded as h.264 8-bit, good old hardware decoders along with either bumping down all madvr settings or just bumping over to something like EVR will take care of the rendering being an elitist about resolution and stuff like that is almost completely useless at this point. Nearly all anime is either native 720p or 900p, even from BDs. 

HEVC is becoming more an more prevalent out there, since encoders seem to like it. But there is currently no point in building a rig specifically for it. There is still h.264 10-bit that is being released, as most source material is still as such. This is an h.264 10-bit and Xvid thing all over again, the anime community, or at least the encoders and groups are releasing in a codec that will not be used outside of that specific community. And even if you are having issues, I believe that h.265 can be transcoded back into a workable h.264. As long as you have some CPU sitting around and a little bit of time.

I was trying to help, for me, I would not use anything that cannot use madVR at full settings, but officially, for Nvidia, nothing under those mentioned by me will support 4k. 

About anime Quality, I am using madVR specifically because some anime was not drawn native 1080p to begin with.AFAIK even good new anime is drawn on A4 paper (characters and character motion) while backgrounds are usually oil paintings done on large formats. (I was watching how Angel Beats was made, video easy to fiind on youtube)

I, for one wish for anime to be encoded to whatever keeps the most details, I personally follow Tsundere, UTW, Coalgirls, ReinForce and sometimes FFF. Depends on who did a certain show at the best resolution. I really wish BDs where accessible around here (and I wish I had had something to play BDs).

Yes, but anything more than 720p (1080p for BD/movies) for most anime is overkill. It may be true that more and more encoders are adopting HEVC, a majority of existing anime is still using h.264. Ugh, PCs are so bad at 4K home theater stuff right now. How hard is it for a computer that costs less than a GTX980 to be able to proficiently play 4K media?

I hear you with that. I strongly belive that Nvidia lower end cards might be able to pull off 4k, but I think that they might limit this to make more money with the high-er end. 

I am still pondering the question if I should sell my RAT 7 and buy that Pro X thingy. (I wonder how stupid this actually seems to normal people). 

Jan 12, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #8,645 of 9,120
I was trying to help, for me, I would not use anything that cannot use madVR at full settings, but officially, for Nvidia, nothing under those mentioned by me will support 4k. 

About anime Quality, I am using madVR specifically because some anime was not drawn native 1080p to begin with.AFAIK even good new anime is drawn on A4 paper (characters and character motion) while backgrounds are usually oil paintings done on large formats. (I was watching how Angel Beats was made, video easy to fiind on youtube)

I, for one wish for anime to be encoded to whatever keeps the most details, I personally follow Tsundere, UTW, Coalgirls, ReinForce and sometimes FFF. Depends on who did a certain show at the best resolution. I really wish BDs where accessible around here (and I wish I had had something to play BDs).

I hear you with that. I strongly belive that Nvidia lower end cards might be able to pull off 4k, but I think that they might limit this to make more money with the high-er end. 

I am still pondering the question if I should sell my RAT 7 and buy that Pro X thingy. (I wonder how stupid this actually seems to normal people). 
If you use makemkv and have a blu-ray drive, you can burn blurays to your pc and play them with something that supports mkv like mpc-hc. :) About the mouse, it makes sense if you use it very often.

Jan 12, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #8,646 of 9,120
If you use makemkv and have a blu-ray drive, you can burn blurays to your pc and play them with something that supports mkv like mpc-hc.
smily_headphones1.gif
About the mouse, it makes sense if you use it very often.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Now, if only someone who really understands mice would advice me on what sensor model to buy for that mouse. I mean, I was moderately unpleased by Twin Eye (wrong inputs, not recognizing movements with steelseries Qck pad), and my only other option is the optical red light one, and from memory, optical with red light were even worse. Not to mention that in very near future I will go to 4K, and it seems that a mouse which does not have enough sensitivity will be rather bad with 4k resolution (I remember reading, but still cannot understand why).

Jan 12, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #8,648 of 9,120

Sometimes I go for 1080p because it usually has FLAC while 720 is normally AAC. Higher bit rate also helps with reducing artifacting in darker scenes.

Quote:

Do you have a 4K/UHD monitor?

Analog knows no resolution. That's why the film you see in cinemas have such high "resolution" yet they are only 35 mm wide or something.

Bluray players are dirt cheap these days. It might also be a good excuse to buy a Playstation 3/4! 

I'm thinking of trying this out. How much truth is there to all this bandwidth and clock hullabaloo?

Paper size means jack ****... that's an analouge medium... turning that into digital is the issue, and so is to final export... ummm... I give up.

Nah, I get you. It's just like analog audio, it's effectively has infinitely better resolution than digital.

Jan 12, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #8,649 of 9,120

6,912 Kbps DTS 5.1 Audio FTW

Jan 13, 2016 at 2:53 AM Post #8,650 of 9,120

I'm thinking of trying this out. How much truth is there to all this bandwidth and clock hullabaloo?

Update: it works! I can now do 3840 x 2160 @ 30 Hz smoothly on the HD 5770. It used to struggle with even 1080p content on a 4K display.

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:50 AM Post #8,651 of 9,120
I finished solving my ads problems today. It was horrible. head-fi would open like 2-3 new screens with ads with every page visited, some pages would re-direct to certain ad sites and scam sites.

The culprit? 

Upon closer inspection, there was a code injected into every page, which should not have been there, and upon another inspection, something about DNS settings was broken, something was injecting spam and malware code in every page. It was not a virus nor malware. I do not believe in such things, and I install manually every single thing, I know virtually every process in my computer, no addons, no extensions, no plugins active in chrome.  This happened with all sites, outside of google.com.

The solution was quite easy, to completely reinstall the entire router. It seems that this is something world-wide, and is independent of router making company, it changes silently the DNS servers in router (sometimes you cannot even configure these). I am yet to determine if this happens only if you have usr and pass admin and admin, or is independent of this. I am yet to determine where the exploit is exactly, but this solved the issue for now. 

Jan 13, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #8,653 of 9,120
  Might seem like a rant, but it's his ignorance that is annoying me. I took care of the issue, lol, so all is good.

I totally get it
biggrin.gif

I was only saying, A4 paper can only contain so much details and be upscaled to a certain dimension. I think that it could be scanned to an infinite resolution, theoretically there is a limit to what an eye can see, but that limit is huge. 

But scanning the lines of anime with more resolution, would mean more after work to remove un-wanted noise from outline. And lots of un-wanted noise in other places. Or more care in when drawing itself. Or using lots of 3D CG in parallel (lots of new shows have this). 

Using madVR to thin edges, upscale Chroma and use super resolution filters actually helps keeping things in check, when there is no higher res. 

I am actually looking forward to 4K anime, but at the same time, there is a huge amount of screen time wasted (in my experience) reading subs. 
gs1000.gif

(I really get the sensation that some people do not get my sense of humor at all and I might come off as offensive or downright dumb in some things, but I am actually joking a lot in some of my posts. It is just my way of talking, eng is not my mother tongue, sorry
redface.gif
)

Jan 13, 2016 at 9:13 PM Post #8,654 of 9,120
Been having a few problems with an external hard drive. I made a thread on Tom's Hardware. Any of you pals here can help me figure it out?

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2937240/access-hard-drive-load.html
(It has a stupid consumer-thinking title on purpose. To attract more views)

Evening everyone. I'm running Windows 8.1 here on a desktop. I've tried Diskpart, Gparted, Windows Rescue and they have failed!

I have a Seagate Backup Plus SRD0SP0 External Hard Drive. It is easy to take the internal hard drive out of the USB 3.0 enclosure and drop into computer as regular SATA HDD. 

While in USB 3.0 enclosure and using that interface. The first few things I tried were in using Windows Disk Management tool by pressing 'Manage' in My Computer. This however would crash that tool, Windows Explorer, and won't allow for the computer to shut down every time.

Next, I tried different variations of having the hard drive in USB 3.0 and SATA plug mode but they all have failed. Anytime the drive is plugged in, it will crash the Disk Management tool or Windows explorer that is trying to modify/scan it.

After that, I booted up a Windows Rescue Disk and hit advanced settings for the command prompt. I tried DiskPart here but same problem. It will pretty much freeze DiskPart and won't let it load until I disconnect the hard drive. 

Windows computer has problems booting up and shutting down while this problematic hard drive is connected. (SATA plugs are set to hot-pluggable in BIOS)

I have Ubuntu on my laptop and I installed GParted to try to access and format this drive. No luck. Gparted also freezes and goes into an infinite 'scanning' loop and never gets to showing any drives unless I unplug this hard drive.

I'm currently downloading Ultimate Boot CD, Hiren's Boot CD, and Knoppix.

Any suggestions!? It would be nice if I could repair and access the files but right now. I just want to format it so I can get it 'working' and readable and then using something like Test Disk later to recover files (as I haven't written anything to the external hard drive).

Help?

EDIT1:
Downloaded and using Ultimate Boot CD now.

In Parted Magic now booted from Ultimate Boot CD. I've run the program called 'Erase Disk' and did an MBR Erase and got confirmation message that it was done. Then I tried to open GParted again. No luck, still stuck on 'scanning devices'.

The external drive (currently plugged as SATA) also doesn't show up as an option to be mounted at all. It does show up in GSmartControl program which shows SMART Status though. It notes errors in 'Reading' but that is about it.

Ran TestDisk and also deleted MBR with it. Then tried to see if I could mount or open Gparted. Same results. Nothing.

EDIT2:
Running Erase Disk on Parted Magic again. This time I'm doing the internal erase feature. In between every 'erase'. I've been trying to mount/see the drive and access with GParted. No luck every time.

-----------------------

Quote:
  I finished solving my ads problems today. It was horrible. head-fi would open like 2-3 new screens with ads with every page visited, some pages would re-direct to certain ad sites and scam sites.

The culprit? 

Upon closer inspection, there was a code injected into every page, which should not have been there, and upon another inspection, something about DNS settings was broken, something was injecting spam and malware code in every page. It was not a virus nor malware. I do not believe in such things, and I install manually every single thing, I know virtually every process in my computer, no addons, no extensions, no plugins active in chrome.  This happened with all sites, outside of google.com.

The solution was quite easy, to completely reinstall the entire router. It seems that this is something world-wide, and is independent of router making company, it changes silently the DNS servers in router (sometimes you cannot even configure these). I am yet to determine if this happens only if you have usr and pass admin and admin, or is independent of this. I am yet to determine where the exploit is exactly, but this solved the issue for now. 

DNS....always one of those underlying culprits!

Jan 14, 2016 at 4:24 AM Post #8,655 of 9,120
  DNS....always one of those underlying culprits!

I barely learned what DNS is because of this, but I still do not have full knowledge on how it actually works. 

I really wish I would understand how this happened. I mean, the leak seems to be coming from any ads related site, but still, how is it possible to re-configure a router so easily? Wouldn't one need trusted acces, or user and password, even if I have wired connection to it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back