PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)
Jan 14, 2016 at 8:17 AM Post #8,656 of 9,120

I barely learned what DNS is because of this, but I still do not have full knowledge on how it actually works. 

I really wish I would understand how this happened. I mean, the leak seems to be coming from any ads related site, but still, how is it possible to re-configure a router so easily? Wouldn't one need trusted acces, or user and password, even if I have wired connection to it?

They probably didn't re-configure your own router. But rather their Domain Name Service was injecting stuff into the pages through some ability.

In basic basic form. A DNS and the provider for it makes and provides your computer the matching tables of 'web names' to 'external ip-addresses' 

For example. A computer really only knows and sees this when trying to go to google.com

http://74.125.224.72/

But a DNS and the provider matches this external ip to www.google.com. Try the link above. It'll send you to google.com

Jan 14, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #8,657 of 9,120
  They probably didn't re-configure your own router. But rather their Domain Name Service was injecting stuff into the pages through some ability.

In basic basic form. A DNS and the provider for it makes and provides your computer the matching tables of 'web names' to 'external ip-addresses' 

For example. A computer really only knows and sees this when trying to go to google.com

http://74.125.224.72/

But a DNS and the provider matches this external ip to www.google.com. Try the link above. It'll send you to google.com

I can understand this, but it still is a magic mystery to me how it did that. No traces anywhere, and it was there after full format of hdds, reinstall of windows, with every setting wiped. And it disappeared after resetting the router. So it did write something on router instead of PC. It still does not come exactly to me how this is possible, or from where it comes (I literally do not enter any suspect sites because I have less and less time for random browsing. Anime is a hobby that takes it's toll on time as much as music does)

Jan 24, 2016 at 8:13 AM Post #8,658 of 9,120
If one were to chose, what would be better in a laptop:

1. GTX970M with 6GB of Vram

or 

2. GTX980M with 4GB of Vram?

I mean, does the fact that 980 has less ram mean that it will be worse, or the advancement in architecture and speed would mean much better results?

Jan 24, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #8,659 of 9,120

or 

I mean, does the fact that 980 has less ram mean that it will be worse, or the advancement in architecture and speed would mean much better results?

Unless you're frequently driving a multi-monitor setup from it, I think you'd benefit more from the 980M.

Jan 24, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #8,660 of 9,120

or 

As long as you have the money?

Go 980M all the way ...

I have an MSI GS70 Stealth Pro laptop that I game with when at work and it's really good ... it uses a 970M GPU .. I play *everything* at 60fps or better and at max settings ... 1080p ... 

980M is the ****. Unless you can wait for 980MX ... or otherwise have the cash to but a lap top with dual desktop 980's ...

Jan 24, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #8,661 of 9,120
  Unless you're frequently driving a multi-monitor setup from it, I think you'd benefit more from the 980M.

As long as you have the money?

Go 980M all the way ...

I have an MSI GS70 Stealth Pro laptop that I game with when at work and it's really good ... it uses a 970M GPU .. I play *everything* at 60fps or better and at max settings ... 1080p ... 

980M is the ****. Unless you can wait for 980MX ... or otherwise have the cash to but a lap top with dual desktop 980's ...

Thanks!

I never had a multi monitor setup, only laptop's display. 

I will go for GTX980m them. There are some Acer predators on sale, and they have very good prices, and I just thought that it would be a shame to pass the offer. 

Jan 24, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #8,662 of 9,120
Yeah, do the 980M.

Laptop manu's like to really really up the VRAM on their high-end stuff to sell.

Very few uses you can have on a laptop to take advantage of more than 4GB of VRAM. Maybe if you were really into  crunching numbers or a number of engineering/science programs and disciplines would you maybe have use for that depending on your use.

Jan 24, 2016 at 7:26 PM Post #8,663 of 9,120

Thanks!

I never had a multi monitor setup, only laptop's display. 

I will go for GTX980m them. There are some Acer predators on sale, and they have very good prices, and I just thought that it would be a shame to pass the offer. 

My desktop is x2 GTX980's ... SLI ... and with a 1440p g sync monitor, I've really never seen anything quite like it ... when I play 1080p on my lap top at work (a MSI GS70 Stealth Pro 970M) ... it just feels crippled some how ... the 970M is respectable, though ... a really great GPU if one is  happy at 60FPS .. :wink: ..

Jan 24, 2016 at 9:56 PM Post #8,664 of 9,120

My desktop is x2 GTX980's ... SLI ... and with a 1440p g sync monitor, I've really never seen anything quite like it ... when I play 1080p on my lap top at work (a MSI GS70 Stealth Pro 970M) ... it just feels crippled some how ... the 970M is respectable, though ... a really great GPU if one is  happy at 60FPS .. :wink: ..

Well, not everyone can afford two 980s... that's rather hard feat to pull off.

Jan 25, 2016 at 4:08 AM Post #8,665 of 9,120

I feel compelled to ask why 2XGTX980. Seems like a lot of power. 

You could run all the cool stuff within madVR if you wanted, but I do not know if everyone would tinker a few days to get a little better video quality. 

When reading about this, there are laptops with dual GPUs inside, but I am reluctant, as there have been discussions with more than one GPUs not being in sync and creating artifacts. 

Also, with dual GTX980s you could run a single UHD Gsync, or multi monitor setup, no?

Well, not everyone can afford two 980s... that's rather hard feat to pull off.

You could say that again. IT is not so much about affording, as much as explaining to yourself why make the investition. I mean, I thought that a single GTX980 was supposed to pull off UHD or FHD with all options maxed out in all games. I guess that multi monitor setups should be another thing. 

Jan 25, 2016 at 5:32 AM Post #8,666 of 9,120
  I feel compelled to ask why 2XGTX980. Seems like a lot of power. 

Max settings at 1440p and maintain 60FPS or better at all times ...

And I still don't get that ... Metro Last Light still drops down in to the 50's .. LOL ... 

Jan 25, 2016 at 6:54 AM Post #8,667 of 9,120

Max settings at 1440p and maintain 60FPS or better at all times ...

And I still don't get that ... Metro Last Light still drops down in to the 50's .. LOL ... 

Wow. I do not know how to approach this statement 
biggrin.gif

Now, about my mouse adventure. I ended up selling RAT 7, and getting Pro X for a sweet 20% off due to an open box deal. Sweet. Mouse is... the best mouse ever made, minus it's price. 

Jan 25, 2016 at 7:37 AM Post #8,668 of 9,120

Wow. I do not know how to approach this statement 
biggrin.gif

Now, about my mouse adventure. I ended up selling RAT 7, and getting Pro X for a sweet 20% off due to an open box deal. Sweet. Mouse is... the best mouse ever made, minus it's price. 

Man, I'm telling you .. G Sync and 60+ FPS is mutant level amazing ... I've been using a 1440p G sync monitor for over six months now and even gaming daily, I'm just astonished every time I start a title up ... having seen screen tearing my entire life ... or otherwise laggy V Sync ... G Sync is like space travel ...

So I go hungry and live in a shack and drive a beater Nissan Sentra to afford x2 980's and a 1440p G Sync screen (actually, I have *two* 1440p G Sync screens) ... LOL ...

My house:

:wink:

Jan 25, 2016 at 8:59 AM Post #8,669 of 9,120

Man, I'm telling you .. G Sync and 60+ FPS is mutant level amazing ... I've been using a 1440p G sync monitor for over six months now and even gaming daily, I'm just astonished every time I start a title up ... having seen screen tearing my entire life ... or otherwise laggy V Sync ... G Sync is like space travel ...

So I go hungry and live in a shack and drive a beater Nissan Sentra to afford x2 980's and a 1440p G Sync screen (actually, I have *two* 1440p G Sync screens) ... LOL ...

My house:

:wink:

Two Monitors is something else actually:))

Though, I think that the minimum number of displays to use when multi display-ing for gaming, should be like 3, or 5, anyways not an even number, because the center would be stuck between 2 monitors. 

Personally, I would try gaming on a very large TV at a distance, but for a while I have been sticking with laptops, and I think I will for a while more, or at least while I will still move once a week between my hometown and my work-and-university-town. 

Jan 25, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #8,670 of 9,120
I just started pro usage of Photoshop, and dude, this thing does eat up RAM and CPU and likes to be laggy 
biggrin.gif

One thing to mention about RAT Pro X, I love sensor dampening. Twin Eye is way too sensitive to minimal movement, and adding sensor dampening makes it move exactly like it should. I am quite pleased now. 

[EDIT] Though, I do think about returning it within the 48 hours period. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back