PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)
Mar 5, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #7,831 of 9,120
  I fully understand the 80 year old grandparent that can't send an email or change their background on a computer, but when my peers are completely incompetent with "safe web browsing" I get a little shocked.  This dude asked me about kickasstorrents yesterday and then he asks me today "do you have to pay $5 a month for kickasstorrents?"  I go on his computer and it's completely full to the brim with ad ware and probably viruses.  I tried to open internet explorer (because he doesn't use chrome) and was instantly bombarded with like 3 pop up windows and some program opening and playing a video about vaccinating your pet... I go to look at his installed programs and he has a list of 15-20 programs that were all installed today. Do you know what this program is? "No, I didn't install anything" of course the majority wouldn't uninstall and who knows where else crap is hiding so I reinstalled windows for him.  I would post screens but I already whipped the drive.  

It was also my first time using windows 8.1 and it's really not bad at all, I understand they improved it some, but w7 still does everything I want perfectly.  Way too funny.

The story of my life with my family members. All of their computers are the same. Exactly. No amount of coaching ever helps. 

Personally, I've mastered the fine art of system longevity but I've been neck deep in software and hardware since I was a wee lad.

My home system is a Win 7 64bit install that's over 3 years old now and runs *exactly* as tight/fast as it did the day I installed it. Never a single virus and never a single adware infestation.

At a certain point, if a machine becomes one's work, then one finds oneself only using it for the same things every day. The same applications, the same forums, the same games ... and there's never a need to go on rampant/wanton installs. Also important ... staying away from pirated softs, especially pirated games is essential ... (besides feeling decent about paying for your software) ... 

I still maintain a hugely redundant system/disk imaging scenario, though. You know ... just in case...

:wink:

Mar 5, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #7,832 of 9,120

The story of my life with my family members. All of their computers are the same. Exactly. No amount of coaching ever helps. 

Personally, I've mastered the fine art of system longevity but I've been neck deep in software and hardware since I was a wee lad.

My home system is a Win 7 64bit install that's over 3 years old now and runs *exactly* as tight/fast as it did the day I installed it. Never a single virus and never a single adware infestation.

At a certain point, if a machine becomes one's work, then one finds oneself only using it for the same things every day. The same applications, the same forums, the same games ... and there's never a need to go on rampant/wanton installs. Also important ... staying away from pirated softs, especially pirated games is essential ... (besides feeling decent about paying for your software) ... 

I still maintain a hugely redundant system/disk imaging scenario, though. You know ... just in case...

:wink:

The only people in my immediate family with clean computers are my dad (because he only does three things, spreadsheets, iplayer and browse stocks) and my 2nd youngest sister (because she actually listens to me when i tell her not to **** with settings and install random crap).

Mar 5, 2015 at 7:04 PM Post #7,833 of 9,120
The only people in my immediate family with clean computers are my dad (because he only does three things, spreadsheets, iplayer and browse stocks) and my 2nd youngest sister (because she actually listens to me when i tell her not to **** with settings and install random crap).

Everyone else in your family: Playing malware bingo and downloading illegal MP3s.

Mar 6, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #7,835 of 9,120
http://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/2y4lar/popular_torrenting_software_%C2%B5torrent_has_included/

I don't care for aggreeing or not. 

At this point, wether or not this is true matters little. It is being uninstalled. 

The installer program is pretty much adware at this point

Mar 6, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #7,836 of 9,120
  http://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/2y4lar/popular_torrenting_software_%C2%B5torrent_has_included/

I don't care for aggreeing or not. 

At this point, wether or not this is true matters little. It is being uninstalled. 

The installer program is pretty much adware at this point

I saw that earlier today.  I'm glad I haven't used that client for several years. It's sad how bittorrent and all the clones of it now come with obnoxious "Meet hot (insert ethnicity here) in your area" ads that need to be disabled in the well hidden settings.

Mar 6, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #7,837 of 9,120
What clients do y'all use? I'm on an old version of uTorrent... thank goodness. I just want something light and simple.

Mar 6, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #7,842 of 9,120
  I don't really understand what extra features you need on a torrent program.

I pretty much need none. 

As long as it has a fundamentally working and dilligent running end on handling all the connections, encrypted handshake schiit, and all that general protocal stuff that won't just leak my full computer name and what not. I don't care on that end

I don't need it to be accessible from the web or a server, I don't need to control it on my phone.

I don't need to control it on my toilet with the same wifi from a smartphone

I don't need it to have a built in video player/audio/extracter/converter/social-media

I don't need it to have ads

I just need it to have file location storing, and dem standard buttons. 

Mar 6, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #7,845 of 9,120
I am seriously considering getting 2x R9 290 / 290x crossfire to play Skyrim again (have been thinking about it for the last few months, which is why I am very keen on the new ATi GPUs). Not quite sure if my PSU can handle 2x 290 / 290x + overclocking them + overclocking my CPU, but if the new single GPU ATi flagship can overpower my 670 SLi and have more than 400GB/s memory bandwidth, then I would be happily get one of them to play Skyrim again..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back