PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)
Feb 28, 2015 at 2:22 AM Post #7,820 of 9,120
I got the entire season pass and first episode of Life is Strange a few days ago.

The total for all five episodes (four of which aren't even out yet) was $7.5 instead of $19.99. Considering it just came out, not a bad price. 

Published by Square Enix and made by a studio that has showed - with this release- that they have a vision that they wish to pursue despite adversity. I'll gladly support them.

The writers and gamemakers of the studio were told with their first game 'Remember Me' that publishers didn't want to adopt it because it had a female action protaganist and time-warping mechanics. The game did above average. 

This time with Life is Strange, they are showing determination with a female character and time-warp mechanics. They realized some issues with gameplay, story, progression, and experience with Remember Me, and the reviews are showing that they are addressing this. 

It isn't a AAA by any means, the entire game series is only $19.99 when it isn't on sale, and it is on sale very often right now even though the first episode has only been out for a few weeks. 

Aggressive support from Square Enix with a statement that they are pursuing a very agressive online distribution strategy (along with physical console copies) has shown a lot of fruits. 

Finished the first episode in about 3 hours. Not bad. Not perfect, but not bad at all. The biggest thing I can say about it is how realistic it feels in characters, discussions, demeanor, and conversational language. They are some of the most 3D sub characters I have ever seen written. They do have main personalities, but also carry out a subtle archetype to their personalities that very few games can delve into. An example being that despite there being cliques and different groups, that they can still talk to 'the others' and be half-friends with them. They all reacted in realistic manners that I could feel from the tension that were created in situations X Y and Z. Even better, there is a scene where they talk about, and show, a flash drive with pirated movies/content. 

Overall, the professional reviews and user reviews are both spot on. The 5/5 user reviews are mainly in support of how refreshing Life is Strange is to the genre while the approx 75+% rating on professional sites does show that it still needs a bit fleshing out. 

I'm definately glad I bougth the entire season pack instead of just episode 1 yesterday. It's a complete story that I want to see the end to. The game is relatively easy to play, Max is a nice character with problems of her own, and the mechanics are easy to use. 

Feb 28, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #7,823 of 9,120
  I'll give it a try when it's on sale. I had remember me and was rather unimpressed. The plot was more fun than the gameplay...

Episode 1 was $2 the other day 
wink.gif

It's ok for a $2 episode fo sho

Mar 4, 2015 at 3:53 AM Post #7,824 of 9,120

I think H97 allows for SLI/CFX?

Single card definitely plays much nicer with many games and drivers.

Flagship 390X (single gpu) card already confirmed to have a liquid cooler on it so these cards are going to be rather inefficient again. Not happy with AMD right now. Maxwell is destroying them, mobile and desktop right now. Also I don't really think that matters too much (memory bandwidth) looking at the current situation (256-bit on the 970 vs 512-bit on the 290 and 290X which the 970 can challenge both).

And if anybody is going to argue how AMD cards aren't power hungry or run quite a bit warmer:

http://anandtech.com/show/8568/the-geforce-gtx-970-review-feat-evga/15

I'm not talking about the memory bus width, I'm talking about the memory bandwidth. The GTX 970 have 224.4GB/s while the R9 290x have 320GB/s. This difference is apparent in memory bandwidth hungry games like Crysis (2007).

Jesus, I still can't play Crysis on my 1440p monitor at max settings without throwing down like $500 for a GPU? 
blink.gif

Let's take a trip down the memory lane now, shall we? 
biggrin.gif

NVidia 8800GTX - Remember the time where XFX only sells NVidia GPUs, and OCZ were a VGA reference?

ATi HD3870 X2 - ATi's answer to the 8800GTX, and the world's first successful dual-GPU card? (The 7950GX2 was a flop).

NVidia 9800GX2 - In my opinion, one of the most sleek looking graphics card of all time.

ATi HD4870 X2 - Master of high resolution gaming?

NVidia GTX295 - Available in dual-PCB and single-PCB 
tongue.gif

ATi HD5970 - The golden age of ATi Radeon?

NVidia GTX 480 - NVidia moves to CGPU, with the bet of future games will stop utilizing GPGPU and use CGPU.

I started in the 8X00 days of Nvidia, back in the day when I bought an 8800gt. Good times~

I've always had CGI girls on my GPU boxes. Don't know if that influenced by purchase decisions.

Lol except they don't have CGI girls on GPUs anymore, which makes me really sad. 
frown.gif

Mar 4, 2015 at 4:54 AM Post #7,825 of 9,120
  Jesus, I still can't play Crysis on my 1440p monitor at max settings without throwing down like $500 for a GPU? 
blink.gif

Not to mention the benchmark was completed with 4xMSAA.. The figures would take some serious hit with 8xMSAA I reckon 
biggrin.gif

I started in the 8X00 days of Nvidia, back in the day when I bought an 8800gt. Good times~

Started with MX440 (I started PC gaming at a very early age) and held it until the 7000 series. My most cherished memory of using NVidia came from using the 8800GTS 640MB and, subsequently 8800GTX. For some reason memories of HD4870 and HD5970 stayed with me the most though..

Mar 4, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #7,826 of 9,120
blink.gif

Lol except they don't have CGI girls on GPUs anymore, which makes me really sad. 
frown.gif

Yep

while some cite Crysis's inefficency, when you balance it out, running Crysis/Crysis Warhead at such settings is about as hard as running Crysis 3 at those settings.

It's like Crysis wants to be consistent with being hard as balls to run at high settings

me gusta

Mar 4, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #7,827 of 9,120

blink.gif

Not to mention the benchmark was completed with 4xMSAA.. The figures would take some serious hit with 8xMSAA I reckon 
biggrin.gif

Started with MX440 (I started PC gaming at a very early age) and held it until the 7000 series. My most cherished memory of using NVidia came from using the 8800GTS 640MB and, subsequently 8800GTX. For some reason memories of HD4870 and HD5970 stayed with me the most though..

Hahaha, yeah. Plus if I remember right, the game goes up to 16xMSAA doesn't it?

Lol the 4870 is the card I have currently! Too lazy to go out and spend the money on a brand new card, and all of the cards on my local craigslist seem overpriced so I guess I'll just wait until DX12 cards come along and buy a decent one then that can support triple monitors.

blink.gif

Yep

while some cite Crysis's inefficency, when you balance it out, running Crysis/Crysis Warhead at such settings is about as hard as running Crysis 3 at those settings.

It's like Crysis wants to be consistent with being hard as balls to run at high settings

me gusta

Damn those Crysis developers! Will I never be able to play the game on ultra high settings without spending a bunch of money on a GPU? :/

Mar 5, 2015 at 12:45 AM Post #7,828 of 9,120
I fully understand the 80 year old grandparent that can't send an email or change their background on a computer, but when my peers are completely incompetent with "safe web browsing" I get a little shocked.  This dude asked me about kickasstorrents yesterday and then he asks me today "do you have to pay $5 a month for kickasstorrents?"  I go on his computer and it's completely full to the brim with ad ware and probably viruses.  I tried to open internet explorer (because he doesn't use chrome) and was instantly bombarded with like 3 pop up windows and some program opening and playing a video about vaccinating your pet... I go to look at his installed programs and he has a list of 15-20 programs that were all installed today. Do you know what this program is? "No, I didn't install anything" of course the majority wouldn't uninstall and who knows where else crap is hiding so I reinstalled windows for him.  I would post screens but I already whipped the drive.  

It was also my first time using windows 8.1 and it's really not bad at all, I understand they improved it some, but w7 still does everything I want perfectly.  Way too funny.

Mar 5, 2015 at 3:33 AM Post #7,830 of 9,120
I fully understand the 80 year old grandparent that can't send an email or change their background on a computer, but when my peers are completely incompetent with "safe web browsing" I get a little shocked.  This dude asked me about kickasstorrents yesterday and then he asks me today "do you have to pay $5 a month for kickasstorrents?"  I go on his computer and it's completely full to the brim with ad ware and probably viruses.  I tried to open internet explorer (because he doesn't use chrome) and was instantly bombarded with like 3 pop up windows and some program opening and playing a video about vaccinating your pet... I go to look at his installed programs and he has a list of 15-20 programs that were all installed today. Do you know what this program is? "No, I didn't install anything" of course the majority wouldn't uninstall and who knows where else crap is hiding so I reinstalled windows for him.  I would post screens but I already whipped the drive.  

It was also my first time using windows 8.1 and it's really not bad at all, I understand they improved it some, but w7 still does everything I want perfectly.  Way too funny.

My household is exclusively Linux and OSX. Actually there's one Windows machine that's stuck in a corner and used to stream Steam games from.

Most of the inlaws are on Linux also. Reason is they used up their one free tech support. And being cheap, they let me install Linux (opensuse with lxd3 so the interface isn't totally alien) which takes care of their Facebook and other online things. Every time opensuse hits an X.2 release they get upgraded. I have ssh access naturally and a bash script running on their system that once daily emails me their IP. ssh in and run the updates they need or install programmes means I don't even need to go to their houses. Also let's me keep track of what they're running so there's nothing untoward happening they don't know about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back