PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)
Jan 23, 2013 at 5:46 AM Post #556 of 9,120
Xbox is supposed to be multimedia focused with more ram to it can multitask better. PS4 is supposed to be a stripped to the bone gaming console. Both are rumored to be based on AMD APUs with HD7xxx variants.

Now this sneaky HD7870XT release...beats stock the 7950.
Yeah thats what i heard. Rumour has it something along the specs of a 78xx

Wow that card!

Reminds me of Asus Ares :)

Jan 23, 2013 at 6:00 AM Post #557 of 9,120
Quote:
Now back to REAL nerdy things.
not PC related but anyone see the roomers of next gen consoles? Xbox to have 6-8 gigs of ram, ps4 to have 3-4 but faster speeds. PS4 to have a slower? but better processor? maybe out class the cell? Ethernet display option, possibility of phaseing out analog connections. Once again all just Roomers; only the ram and processor roomers have any heft behind them.

Supposedly, developers were begging Sony and MS for two things: faster RAM, and more RAM. For whatever reason, Sony and MS are splitting these needs and doing their own thing with them. I was really hoping for at least 6GB in PS4, but it's sounding like the speed just might make up for the meager amount of RAM it has.

For those who don't know, the arrangements of RAM are like this:
PS4 is supposed to have 4GB of GDDR5, with 512MB set aside for the OS.
Xbox is supposed to have 8GB of DDR3, with 3GB set aside for the OS.

So even with the OS overhead accounted for, the PS4 still has less. But the PS4's RAM is nearly 3x as fast, at 192GB/s, whereas Xbox's is only 68GB/s.

Still, I'm pretty worried about how Xbox to PS4 ports will turn out. Even now, with the consoles being fairly close in RAM capacity, there are some pretty huge differences in graphical quality (though, that could just be because the RAM is split on PS3).

Also, for comparison's sake: PS3's system RAM is 25GB/s, it's video RAM is 22GB/s, and 360's RAM is 22GB/s as well, so both PS4 and Xbox have a huge jump over this gen.

On the CPU front, anyone know what the hell is up with MS and Sony reaching for a more power efficient design? And for that matter, why AMD?

Jan 23, 2013 at 6:11 AM Post #558 of 9,120
More efficent = less heat
Heat has been the mother of all evils in computing

Rrod was because of it.

Plus. Less heat and power equals a smaller system without such a need for a large ventilating case or brick.

You can get epa ratings and consumer friendly/ marketing charts with less power.

Nvidia was never too into consoles. Im sure they tried. I believe nvidia was in early ones. But Nintendo and Microsoft relied on AMD nearly consistently for the last 10 years.

It has therefore been known that AMD can and has delivered the parts, has exp in this field, a good gpu and price for what they want an more importantly, the co operation and engineers to make it happen.

Jan 23, 2013 at 6:23 AM Post #559 of 9,120
I know more efficient means less heat, but heat was never really an issue with the PS3, and it drew more power than the 360.

I don't see why the system has to be smaller, though. It's a home console. It isn't going to be going anywhere. Or is it just that Apple has set an arbitrary standard for electronic sizes, just to be more fashionable?

And, the PS3 used an Nvidia GPU, as did the first Xbox. While the PS3 wasn't particularly special, it did hold up very well, considering it didn't use a unified shader architecture like the 360's GPU did. But that's besides the point, since I was talking about CPU. AMD seems to have been tripping over themselves to screw up their own CPUs, and provide a consistently inferior product to Intel. I guess the companies have their reasons for going with AMD on the CPU front, but it really does seem silly to me.

Jan 23, 2013 at 7:02 AM Post #561 of 9,120
Come to think of it, I seem to remember reading something saying the CPU and GPU are insanely small, and maybe that's one of the big reasons they are going with AMD. I can't remember the article, but they said that they think Sony and MS could sell their systems for about $300-$350 and still make a profit, even at launch. It took Sony like 4 years to make a profit on the PS3.

I'd be really happy to see a $300 system, though, and if that's the case, I'd welcome AMD with open arms.

It's just a shame that the new CPU architecture will mean the old systems won't be able to be emulated on the new systems.
frown.gif

Jan 23, 2013 at 10:12 AM Post #562 of 9,120
I've still yet to purchase an HDTV as to play my current consoles properly (text/widescreen issues). But like this gen, I'll wait a few years until they iron out the console-killing bugs and the price drops significantly. If either console starts off at more than $400 for the base models, screw them.

Jan 23, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #564 of 9,120
Less console talk, more PC talk.

To All THQ Employees:

We now have the answers we've been seeking through our financial restructuring and
Chapter 11 case. While much will be written, here are the facts of the bids and auction
that occurred t:
Yesterday morning, we received a competing bid for the operating business,
along with Clearlake's offer, and numerous offers for separate assets.
During an auction process that lasted over 22 hours, the final conclusion was
that the separate-asset bids would net more than a single buyer for the majority
of the company.
Shortly, we will, present the results to the U.S. Bankruptcy Court, which must
concur with our assessment.
The proposed sales of multiple assets is as follows :
Sega agreed to purchase Relic
Koch Media agreed to purchase Volition and Metro
Crytek agreed to purchase Homefront
Take 2 agreed purchase Evolve and
Ubisoft agreed to purchase Montreal and South Park
We expect these sales to close this week.

Some assets, including our publishing businesses and Vigil, along with some other
intellectual properties are not included in the sale agreements. They will remain part of
the Chapter 11 case. We will make every effort to find appropriate buyers, if possible.

What this means for employees

We expect that most employees of the entities included in the sale will be offered
employment by the new owners. However, we cannot say what these owners may
intend, and there will likely be some positions that will not be needed under the
new ownership. You should receive notice this week or early next week if the new
owners intend to extend employment to you. Please note that the terms of your new
employment, including pay and benefits, may be different from the current terms of
your employment with THQ.

If you are an employee of an entity that is not included in the sale, we regret that
your position will end. A small number of our headquarters staff will continue to be
employed by THQ beyond January 25 to assist with the transition. THQ has sufficient
resources to pay these employees for work going forward, and we will be contacting
these employees immediately to ensure their continued employment during this
transition period. We are requesting the ability to offer certain severance pay to
minimize disruption for employees of non-included entities as they determine the next
steps in their careers.

We know you will have many questions about this news. We'll be meeting tomorrow
when we return to talk through this announcement and to answer any questions you
have. You will receive a benefits fact sheet and FAQs with answers to some questions
that may be on your mind. Please review these materials closely.

A personal note

The work that you all have done as part of the THQ family is imaginative, creative,
artistic and highly valued by our loyal gamers. We are proud of what we have
accomplished despite today's outcome.

It has been our privilege to work alongside the entire THQ team. While the company
will cease to exist, we are heartened that the majority of our studios and games will
continue under new ownership. We were hoping that the entire company would remain
intact, but we expect to hear good news from each of the separate entities that will be
operating as part of new organizations.

For those THQ employees who are part of entities that are not included in the sale, we
are confident that the talent you have displayed as part of THQ will be recognized as you
take the next steps in your career.

Thank you all for your dedication and for sharing your talent with the THQ team. We
wish you the best of luck and hope you will keep in touch.

Sincerely,

Brian Farrell
Chief Executive Officer

Jason Rubin
President

Source: Kotoku

Jan 23, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #565 of 9,120
But isn't that multiplatform talk rite durr?

Capcom is porting over Resident Evil Revelations to consoles and PC, but not Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen. Neither game are Triple A, still.

Jan 23, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #570 of 9,120
Quote:
Wiki says they co-published Catherine. Catherine was damn good.

That game didnt' seem to be what I would like to play

What about the erotic story or game was good?

New Gaming headphones for review:

Oblanc NC3-2

Dual drivers (30mm and 40mm) with built in amp and EQ options

Won't be able to test it with gaming until next week though.

They don't sound like $150 headphones in the sense of audiophile headphone vs this. But their sound is pleasant and fun. Especially for a consumer mind set. Bass and mid centric with no such thing as highs basically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back