PayPal woes - Alternatives (Google Wallet, etc)??
Oct 24, 2015 at 8:53 AM Post #16 of 32
Would it be possible to ship item once payment is released and deposited into the bank account or does paypal have the power to retake the money even if I have transferred the deposit to my account?
I ask as I am planning to sale a lot of things and now this got me worried. 

Oct 24, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #17 of 32
  Would it be possible to ship item once payment is released and deposited into the bank account or does paypal have the power to retake the money even if I have transferred the deposit to my account?
I ask as I am planning to sale a lot of things and now this got me worried. 

I haven't used PayPal in a while, but last time I used it'd have taken 21 days to release the money without valid tracking number and delivery. Then after 21 days you could deposit money to your bank account and it should be relatively safe there. However, good luck finding a buyer who is willing to wait that long. 
wink.gif

Dec 30, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #18 of 32
Yes, that's what I noticed when I sold my Lyr recently to a buyer in Finland, the seller paid fees but the payment was not eligible for protection. Why even pay Paypal 4% then?

What's even funnier is what happened to a friend of mine. He sold a pair of Amphion Argon speakers to a guy in Asia and eBay is charging him shipping fees on top of the eBay fees and Paypal fees. And he paid for the shipping himself!

If you sell on eBay you're either a volume seller so things even out or you need money for drugs ASAP!  And even then you're at the mercy of the buyer, he can just steal the item, say he received a dildo, take a picture of your box with the dildo in it and eBay will dildo you out of your money. :)

Dec 30, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #19 of 32
Hello all, I have a question about Pay Pal.Say Im selling a iem for $500. Buyer says he wants it and he sends $500 to my pay pal. I withdreq $500 to my bank and Two days later I mail the iem. He gets it all good but I did not put the tracking numbers onto pay pal website. Do I still get paid even if I didnt type the tracking numbers onto Pay Pal and he did revieve the iems?

Dec 30, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #20 of 32
Hello all, I have a question about Pay Pal.Say Im selling a iem for $500. Buyer says he wants it and he sends $500 to my pay pal. I withdreq $500 to my bank and Two days later I mail the iem. He gets it all good but I did not put the tracking numbers onto pay pal website. Do I still get paid even if I didnt type the tracking numbers onto Pay Pal and he did revieve the iems?

If you already managed to withdraw the $500 to you bank account, then there's no way you would lose it anymore. However, if buyer disputes the charge and you can't prove shipment, it is likely that PayPal refunds the buyer and your account is going to have -$500 balance.

Dec 30, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #21 of 32
If you already managed to withdraw the $500 to you bank account, then there's no way you would lose it anymore. However, if buyer disputes the charge and you can't prove shipment, it is likely that PayPal refunds the buyer and your account is going to have -$500 balance.
I usually send a pic of the tracking number. But I really dont like if Pay Pal can just get into my account and take money out. I oked the money to go into my account so if I owe someone then I should be the only one to remove money from my account.

Jun 15, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #22 of 32
Hey all.  This is an old thread I came across but I've had a similarly bad experience (NOT here, and not that much $$). I'm only posting so that anyone stumbling on this doesn't think that PayPal Seller Protection helps secure against fraud.

Short story is that even when selling through eBay and having seller protection, scammers can still scam. I sold a long-time user with 100% positive feedback a $350 cell phone. Two weeks later I get a note that it had "water damage." She initiated a return through PayPal/eBay saying the item was not as described. I had PHOTOS of the phone prior to sending showing the condition and the unmarked water sensor. So I answered the PayPal inquiry attaching the photos, etc., but PayPal reversed the $$ anyway. I then submitted for investigation and Paypal quickly reviewed, ignored everything I sent, and confirmed her refund.  I did get back an inoperable Galaxy Note 3...  I've come across similar horror stories - the really vile even send back different items or empty boxes as the "return."

That said, I've happily parted with far more $$ with head-fiers, and never had any issues <knocks on wood>.

Jun 15, 2016 at 11:16 PM Post #23 of 32
  Hey all.  This is an old thread I came across but I've had a similarly bad experience (NOT here, and not that much $$). I'm only posting so that anyone stumbling on this doesn't think that PayPal Seller Protection helps secure against fraud.

Short story is that even when selling through eBay and having seller protection, scammers can still scam. I sold a long-time user with 100% positive feedback a $350 cell phone. Two weeks later I get a note that it had "water damage." She initiated a return through PayPal/eBay saying the item was not as described. I had PHOTOS of the phone prior to sending showing the condition and the unmarked water sensor. So I answered the PayPal inquiry attaching the photos, etc., but PayPal reversed the $$ anyway. I then submitted for investigation and Paypal quickly reviewed, ignored everything I sent, and confirmed her refund.  I did get back an inoperable Galaxy Note 3...  I've come across similar horror stories - the really vile even send back different items or empty boxes as the "return."

That said, I've happily parted with far more $$ with head-fiers, and never had any issues <knocks on wood>.

I've also got a PayPal story :/ as a buyer, either way an alternative to PayPal is needed imo, as they've gotten to big over the years and have started to well not deal with either buyers nor sellers as they used to

I tried Etsy once, an that was equally horrible  

Jun 16, 2016 at 8:26 AM Post #24 of 32
Too bad Google Wallet is diminishing in favor of Android Pay (or something like that, I don't have an Android). 

Nowadays I'd prefer using Square Cash and Snapchat cash transferring feature when it comes to money transfers with individuals. Also, Venmo is quite popular, but owned by PayPal, so out of a principle I won't use it myself. Just avoiding businesses that are strictly PayPal only, which luckily isn't that hard. 

Jul 30, 2016 at 4:05 AM Post #25 of 32
It's too late, but if you guys have issues with PayPal and they don't want to help you, file a complaint with the Financial Ombudsman. If OP would've known about this, she would've gotten her money back.

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/

Jul 31, 2016 at 2:53 AM Post #26 of 32
  It's too late, but if you guys have issues with PayPal and they don't want to help you, file a complaint with the Financial Ombudsman. If OP would've known about this, she would've gotten her money back.

Wouldn't that be local to only to the UK? I actually consulted various legal reps and all pretty much said the the PayPal Japan policies would probably hold regardless if fairness to consumers.

Sep 9, 2016 at 6:39 AM Post #27 of 32

Yeah that's correct unfortunately as I experienced it myself. That's so bad... I've filed a complaint with the CSSF and my case is ongoing. Hope it ends well.

Sep 26, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #28 of 32
I once sold an amp to a member here, waited 3 weeks for a payment and the buyer acknowledged that the amp arrived in a good work order after I shipped.  All the sudden 3 weeks later, he changed his mind and said the amp was broken and wanted the money back.  I informed that all sell is final and the am was working properly when it left my house and arrived in working order according to him.  Anyway, I went back and forth with Paypal and  him for three weeks and they (Paypal) ruled in his favor.  He shipped the amp back and I had to refund him the money.  I tested the amp by running it non-stop for three weeks and see no issues with it.  Again, you can never win as a seller.  The buyer can always do  a credit card charge back and get all of his money back.  Luckily the guy didn't damage my amp on purpose.  He tried leaving me a negative feedback here but luckily Currawong sided with me.  It was quite a nightmare just to sell  $350 item.

Oct 30, 2018 at 7:00 PM Post #30 of 32
I also have a PayPal story. I recently sold an item, to someone overseas, for $900. The buyer suggested I send it USPS registered mail and to have it valued at $50. I agreed, since I've never had any issues selling on headfi. He paid, I shipped. A week later, the package gets scanned at an airport in his country. It gets stuck there and no movement occurs for 2 months. We remained in communication for the entire time. He called agencies in his country and I made calls in the U.S. After 3 months of the buyer and I trying to figure out a solution, PayPal was asked to intervene. I thought there will be a fair resolution, but PayPal only protected the buyer and not the seller (me). I was told by PayPal, that since I had already entered the tracking into, that I didn't have to submit any other proof of shipment. I now have a negative -$900 balance and a lost item, which was in like new condition and purchased brand new 2 days before shipping. USPS offered to refund the shipping cost, for the lost item, but I'm out $2,000 ($1,100 item + $900 refund). For that reason, I will no longer use PayPal for transactions and will try Google pay as an alternative. I have nothing against the buyer. I just think PayPal handled this wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back