Pathos Inpol Ear Headphone Amplifier
Apr 28, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #76 of 694
The Pathos has 2 balanced and 1 unbalanced headphone outputs. The balanced and unbalanced can be driven simultaneously.

That's one of its beauties. You will not run out of HP connections.

The other beauty? Its preamp section. Try it in your 2 channel system.

Apr 28, 2021 at 6:36 PM Post #77 of 694
Do you have any problem driving your Diana's to reference levels with the Pathos?

BTW for those who are not aware.
The Pathos has 2 balanced and 1 unbalanced headphone outputs. The balanced and unbalanced can be driven simultaneously. I do not have another balanced headphone to see if all 3 or at least both balanced outs can be driven simultaneously.
@chaZZZy007,

The Dianas can be driven to unreasonably loud levels with the Pathos. With the volume at 125, it's too much for my tastes.

And yes, I tested it out, and you can use the 2 balanced headphone outputs simultaneuously!

Apr 28, 2021 at 7:17 PM Post #78 of 694
That's one of its beauties. You will not run out of HP connections.

The other beauty? Its preamp section. Try it in your 2 channel system.
I plan to.
Right now though I am beginning to take down my 2 channel and home theater because I am moving in the next 2 or 3 months. I want to get ahead of all the packing... lolz 😄😄😄

How do you like the Pathos as a Pre-amp?

Apr 28, 2021 at 7:20 PM Post #79 of 694
@chaZZZy007,

The Dianas can be driven to unreasonably loud levels with the Pathos. With the volume at 125, it's too much for my tastes.

And yes, I tested it out, and you can use the 2 balanced headphone outputs simultaneuously!
For those who don't already have the Pathos, volume control is to 180 in 1/2 dB steps. So there's plenty of headroom to spare even with the Diana's. 👍

Apr 28, 2021 at 8:37 PM Post #80 of 694
For those who don't already have the Pathos, volume control is to 180 in 1/2 dB steps. So there's plenty of headroom to spare even with the Diana's. 👍
I have the HE6SE and at 120, they are sufficiently loud for musical enjoyment. So yeah, PLENTY of headroom.

On that note, the Studio Six can drive 4 headphones at the same time hahaha

Apr 28, 2021 at 10:49 PM Post #81 of 694
I have the HE6SE and at 120, they are sufficiently loud for musical enjoyment. So yeah, PLENTY of headroom.

On that note, the Studio Six can drive 4 headphones at the same time hahaha
Isn't the HE6E supposed to be one of the most difficult to drive headphones ever?

😲😲😲

Apr 29, 2021 at 2:13 AM Post #82 of 694
Isn't the HE6E supposed to be one of the most difficult to drive headphones ever?

😲😲😲
It's kind of a misconception. There's driving them loud and driving them well.
Most amps should be able to drive them loud but may not sound nice. Luckily for me, the Studio Six and InpolEar both drive the HE6SE quite well.

As reference to how hard they are to drive;

Studio Six volume is 12 o'clock (HE6SE) vs 8 o'clock (Jupiter One) vs 9 o'clock (D8000)
InpolEar volume is 120 (HE6SE) vs 75 (Jupiter One) vs 90 (D8000)

Also because I do most of my listening at night till the early morning, I can't really crank it up but the above volume indications allow me to still enjoy the full dynamic range of most of my music.

Apr 29, 2021 at 3:09 AM Post #83 of 694
@xtr4 I am leaning to purchase a D8000 Pro this year (along with a Puritan PSM156), how is your D8000 in the Inpol Ear?

If I can hold a nice used Susvara that would be swell also. Just like the other day. Just haven't have the cash at the moment.

Stumbled across in YT dismantling a Pathos Classic Remix (Integrated Amp variety of the Inpol Ear) for a DAC upgrade. Very useful also to see inside and how to replace the tubes.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #84 of 694
I'm not one to regret a planned vacation, but I've only had a few scant days with my InPol and we must part. The stock WE tubes aren't even burned in yet. I feel as if I am leaving my beautiful Italian child alone and unplugged in the darkness... :triportsad:

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2021 at 6:08 PM Post #85 of 694
I'm not one to regret a planned vacation, but I've only had a few scant days with my InPol and we must part. The stock WE tubes aren't even burned in yet. I feel as if I am leaving my beautiful Italian child alone and unplugged in the darkness... :triportsad:
Fear not my child.
You will soon be reunited with your beloved Pathos once again. 😄

Bon voyage! 🤙

May 1, 2021 at 8:17 AM Post #87 of 694
Congratulations on your purchase, my Abyss dealer in the UK had also recommended it to me, but I had already bought HPA4. :beerchug:

May 1, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #88 of 694
A new InPol Ear burning in with Western Electric 2C51s and adapters. I chose the Matte Black and like it very much. It's understated until light hits it and the metallic flakes in the paint jump out. I am using the Chord Dave RCA outs (3V). I saw in the specs that the Inpol input max is about 4V. The Dave has a 6V XLR output. I may check on this with Pathos. The LCD24 sounds very very good and the HD800S is transformed. As others have said- I'll wait til everything settles before commenting in detail.

Inpol Ear.jpg

May 1, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #89 of 694
@xtr4 I am leaning to purchase a D8000 Pro this year (along with a Puritan PSM156), how is your D8000 in the Inpol Ear?

If I can hold a nice used Susvara that would be swell also. Just like the other day. Just haven't have the cash at the moment.

Stumbled across in YT dismantling a Pathos Classic Remix (Integrated Amp variety of the Inpol Ear) for a DAC upgrade. Very useful also to see inside and how to replace the tubes.

Hey @m-i-c-k-e-y , apologies for the late reply.
The D8000 on the InPol sounds fuller overall with a better fleshed out bottom end. But the biggest take away is still the way music is presented in layers by the InPol that's very impactful on more neutral sounding headphones like the HE6SE, D8000. I have the Jupiter One which is more mid centric (like the HD6XX) and mids just pop out being the centre piece of the musical presentation. Vocals type tracks have a very seductive sound to them that draws you in. Unplugged and acoustics type tracks also have that air about them.

Also, welcome to the Puritan club hahaha

May 1, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #90 of 694
A new InPol Ear burning in with Western Electric 2C51s and adapters. I chose the Matte Black and like it very much. It's understated until light hits it and the metallic flakes in the paint jump out. I am using the Chord Dave RCA outs (3V). I saw in the specs that the Inpol input max is about 4V. The Dave has a 6V XLR output. I may check on this with Pathos. The LCD24 sounds very very good and the HD800S is transformed. As others have said- I'll wait til everything settles before commenting in detail.

Inpol Ear.jpg

Where did you pick up the adapters? I've got some 2C51 tubes that might work for mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back