Pathos Inpol Ear Headphone Amplifier
Apr 21, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #61 of 694
Update
Aurender N20 seems to be settling in between 100-125 hours. The sound signature was all over the place the first 100 hours. Lolz 😄

I'm also in the process of ordering a pair of Nordost TYR 2 Digital interconnects so the Aurender clock is being used instead of the Oppo's. The clock in the Aurender is much superior.

Apr 24, 2021 at 9:17 AM Post #62 of 694
In anticipation of the new Pathos, I ordered a pair of Diana V2 headphones sight unseen, based on Steven Guttenberg/the Audiophiliac's laudatory review of the Inpol Ear with the Abyss Phi TC. The Diana V2's low weight was what ultimately sold me, as they come in at <400 grams, and most higher-end headphones are neck-killers at 450+ grams.

This will be an interesting experiment with two unknown quantities. Anyone else on this thread have experience with the Abyss headphones/Pathos amp combination?
I'm wondering the same thing about the Abyss pairing. If anyone can provide some impressions or input about this combo.

I just saved up for the Formula S/ Powerman combo (which gets near universal recommendation with the 1266, but now I'm questioning that decision after having seen very little about this amp aside from Guttenberg's video review. This inpol amp is overall less expensive than the FS/P which comes in at $5900.

I have some good NOS Amperex 7308 white label, US (shield, gold pins) which sound great on my Feliks Echo, so I'm glad I wouldn't have to search far and wide for new tubes.

Apr 24, 2021 at 9:38 AM Post #63 of 694
My understanding of the InPol is that it's designed so the tube signature is maintained while still having the drive of the FET output which is good for some planars like the Abyss. With the Formula S you would not be able to enjoy different sounding tubes. That said- I have the Eleven Audio Broadway and it's a phenomenal SS amp. I'm sure the Formula S is even better. DCguy73 will have his InPol Ear and Diana V2 soon and may be able to give some impressions at least for that pairing. There are worse decisions to have - all the best :)

Apr 24, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #64 of 694
This amp is high on my want list. I have two very good solid state amps in the Luxman P-750u and the Formula S/Powerman. I want to add some tube flavor while keeping a highly dynamic sound, good resolution and speed. I have several headphones that will benefit from a bit of tube infusion. @dcguy73 I’m looking forward to hearing how you like the Diana V2 and Inpol Ear pairing since I have a set.

Apr 26, 2021 at 11:20 AM Post #65 of 694
This amp is high on my want list. I have two very good solid state amps in the Luxman P-750u and the Formula S/Powerman. I want to add some tube flavor while keeping a highly dynamic sound, good resolution and speed. I have several headphones that will benefit from a bit of tube infusion. @dcguy73 I’m looking forward to hearing how you like the Diana V2 and Inpol Ear pairing since I have a set.
Rest assured, @Slim1970 and @SuperDuke, when I get my InPol Ear in house (tomorrow!!) and set up, I will report out on my impressions with the Diana v2 and the new amp. I will say that the Diana sounds "veiled" so far with my iCan Pro. Not sure if that's because the headphone isn't not broken in yet or if the iCan is not putting out sufficient power.

Apr 26, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #66 of 694
Rest assured, @Slim1970 and @SuperDuke, when I get my InPol Ear in house (tomorrow!!) and set up, I will report out on my impressions with the Diana v2 and the new amp. I will say that the Diana sounds "veiled" so far with my iCan Pro. Not sure if that's because the headphone isn't not broken in yet or if the iCan is not putting out sufficient power.
What settings are you using on the Pro iCan? The Pro iCan is clean sounding and have adequate power to drive the Diana V2's.

Apr 27, 2021 at 2:04 AM Post #67 of 694
I'm at 450 hours on the Pathos plus the WyWires umbilical and Wireworld Starlight 8 USB, 400 hours on the Reflektors, and about 250 hours on the Aurender N20. I'm going to start doing a bit of critical listening and post my thoughts.

Today I just received a Nordost Tyr 2 BNC digital interconnect that I am going to break in as well. My thinking is the OXCO clock in the Aurender is much better than the clock in the Oppo. We shall see.

Attachments

• 20210426_102450~2.jpg
    20210426_102450~2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210426_102528~2.jpg
    20210426_102528~2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 27, 2021 at 2:58 AM Post #68 of 694
I'm quite miffed now because I'm hearing a little distortion on the right channel which wasn't present before. I hope it's just the NOS tube settling in. It's more prominent at lower volumes.

Apr 27, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #70 of 694
I'm quite miffed now because I'm hearing a little distortion on the right channel which wasn't present before. I hope it's just the NOS tube settling in. It's more prominent at lower volumes.
From my experience as tubes are burning in you're going to get quite a few changes in sound signature over I'd say the first 200 hours. Sometimes drastic swings from fat to lean and back for instance. At some point (nearing 200 hours or so) the tubes will settle in to their final tonal signature. From that point you'll get incremental changes for the better as they settle in. 🙂

Apr 27, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #71 of 694
Are you leaving your InPol on all the time? Looking forward to your impressions.
Yes thru the first 20 days or so with music constantly playing thru it. The last couple days I've finally begun to turn it off as I continue to burn in the Aurender and the new Nordost digital interconnect.

Surprisingly through the first 150-175 hours the Aurender had some really large tonal swings. It seems to need quite a bit of burn in before settling into optimal sound quality.

I don't recall my Lyngdorf MP-60 going thru these same types of tonal swings. With the MP-60 improvement with burn in was somewhat gradual and linear.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2021 at 3:09 PM Post #72 of 694
I just received my InPol today. I purchased an open-box unit, which is in perfect shape physically and may have already had some burn-in. The tubes arrived already inserted into the amp, which surprised me. Tubes are delicate! Is that how the amp comes when it's purchased new?

Seems Upscale Audio forgot to include the remote in the first package! :triportsad: At least I'll get tomorrow in the second package they sent. Good thing the buttons on the front of the unit can control the input and volume.

My fifteen-minute listening impressions are that the sound has more weight and body than the iCan Pro did, though the bass does not have the same slam. The Diana V2s sound fuller with the InPol, as well. It's really nice to have two 4-pin balanced headphone connections, though it'd be nice if you could adjust the volume for each individually.

Apr 28, 2021 at 3:28 PM Post #73 of 694
I just received my InPol today. I purchased an open-box unit, which is in perfect shape physically and may have already had some burn-in. The tubes arrived already inserted into the amp, which surprised me. Tubes are delicate! Is that how the amp comes when it's purchased new?

Seems Upscale Audio forgot to include the remote in the first package! :triportsad: At least I'll get tomorrow in the second package they sent. Good thing the buttons on the front of the unit can control the input and volume.

My fifteen-minute listening impressions are that the sound has more weight and body than the iCan Pro did, though the bass does not have the same slam. The Diana V2s sound fuller with the InPol, as well. It's really nice to have two 4-pin balanced headphone connections, though it'd be nice if you could adjust the volume for each individually.
The InPol's do ship with the tubes installed, even new. Congrats on your purchase and thanks for the early impression.

Apr 28, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #74 of 694

Welcome to the Pathos family DCguy73!

Yes tubes come pre-installed.
Don't make any critical judgements about what you hear until you have a couple hundred hours on the unit.

The stock tubes are Mediocre so you will want to roll them at some point. How good this amp ultimately will be is limited only by your choice of driver tubes. There are lots of flavors in the 6922 family so you can tune the amp to really suit your ear and system.

Enjoy! 👍

Apr 28, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #75 of 694

Do you have any problem driving your Diana's to reference levels with the Pathos?

BTW for those who are not aware.
The Pathos has 2 balanced and 1 unbalanced headphone outputs. The balanced and unbalanced can be driven simultaneously. I do not have another balanced headphone to see if all 3 or at least both balanced outs can be driven simultaneously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back