Pathos Inpol Ear Headphone Amplifier
May 1, 2021 at 7:12 PM Post #92 of 693
A new InPol Ear burning in with Western Electric 2C51s and adapters. I chose the Matte Black and like it very much. It's understated until light hits it and the metallic flakes in the paint jump out. I am using the Chord Dave RCA outs (3V). I saw in the specs that the Inpol input max is about 4V. The Dave has a 6V XLR output. I may check on this with Pathos. The LCD24 sounds very very good and the HD800S is transformed. As others have said- I'll wait til everything settles before commenting in detail.

Inpol Ear.jpg
Welcome to the Pathos family SuperDuke!
If we can help with anything just ask. 👍

May 1, 2021 at 7:14 PM Post #93 of 693
Hey @m-i-c-k-e-y , apologies for the late reply.
The D8000 on the InPol sounds fuller overall with a better fleshed out bottom end. But the biggest take away is still the way music is presented in layers by the InPol that's very impactful on more neutral sounding headphones like the HE6SE, D8000. I have the Jupiter One which is more mid centric (like the HD6XX) and mids just pop out being the centre piece of the musical presentation. Vocals type tracks have a very seductive sound to them that draws you in. Unplugged and acoustics type tracks also have that air about them.

Also, welcome to the Puritan club hahaha
Hail Puritan brotherhood! 🍻🍻🍻

May 4, 2021 at 10:39 PM Post #94 of 693
Hello all.
I'm still doing critical listening thru my Pathos before I post some thoughts but I had something to share with those who just purchased the Pathos or are considering purchasing.

The Pathos tonal sound signature is really determined by your driver tubes. Be ready to find tubes to roll. The stock EV's are quite dark and really don't let the Pathos fully express itself. In my listening sessions I've found the Pathos to be an exquisite painter of sonic pictures but it is limited in that expression by the very dark sounding driver tubes. I had the same 6922 EV's in my Modwright Oppo 205 when shipped to me so I went thru a similar tube rolling experience back a few years ago. Rolling the tubes then and now completely altered the sound signature for the better.

Once again here is Rob's GOAT 6922 shootout. If you are not familiar with the family of tubes or just want to further your knowledge it is absolutely GOAT for 6922/7308/6dj8 tube family.There are lots of great NOS tubes out there and the 6922/7308/6dj8 family itself is truly one of the most iconic.

Have fun,
Cheers! 🍻🍻🍻

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/692...922-6n23p-e88cc-cca-7308-e188cc-tubes.761078/

Last edited:
May 4, 2021 at 10:45 PM Post #95 of 693
Speaking of rolling tubes, these just arrived. Does anyone recognize these? 🙂

Top are 1964 CCa O getter grey shields and the bottom are 1968 e188cc silver shields.

In a listening session as I post! 🙌🙌🙌

Attachments

• 20210504_194342.jpg
    20210504_194342.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
May 4, 2021 at 10:51 PM Post #97 of 693
I had to get the CCa's for the collection.
I'll roll them in at some point to get a listen. 75 Reflektors are 1st string in my setup though.

😄😄😄

May 5, 2021 at 2:38 AM Post #99 of 693
Realy intrigued what a CCA can bring eh? :beerchug:

May 5, 2021 at 9:14 AM Post #100 of 693
I am appreciating the resolution of the InPol digital Volume control. Using amps w/ lesser volume precision I think I have settled for volume levels that have been suboptimal for sound quality d/t the larger steps in loudness. Sometimes just a few steps on the InPol really flesh out the SQ w/o being overly loud and for me really increase listening enjoyment.

May 9, 2021 at 3:21 AM Post #101 of 693
I agree with this. With Inpol Ear i don't need to increase volume to increase enjoyment/details.

May 9, 2021 at 3:54 AM Post #102 of 693
The volume control is quite subtle in it's 1/2 decibel increments. To my ears it is very well executed.

One of the other amps I was looking at was the Cayin HA-300 and one of the persistent comments in that Head-Fi thread was that volume control was much too course. Absolutely no issue with that here.

May 9, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #103 of 693
The only other volume control I've used that compares is the Violectric Niimbus 256 step relay. I'm sure there are others - Maybe the Mytek Brooklyn which can switch between Analog and digital volume. Steve Guttenberg has a nice video on this topic :

May 9, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #105 of 693
I am finding the NOS 6H23s to be a great sounding tube. Nice Top end and Clear mids.

They may not have the bass extension of other more expensive NOS tubes however for Jazz they sound great. Pretty good price as well.

https://www.thetubestore.com/6h23n-eb-6922
Amazing this family of tubes. Many on this thread have asked how much we can change tone on the Pathos. Please describe the changes you hear going from the stock drivers to the Reflektors and how big a change. To you ears how tuneable is the Pathos?

What year are those Reflektors btw?
I assume somewhere in the 1980's.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back