Panasonic RP-HJE900 Zirconia Review
Sep 21, 2010 at 5:04 AM Post #271 of 599
I quite enjoyed these with Comply tips but just switched to UE tips. I'm usually a Comply guy, but I think these do sound better with UE. I was A/B-ing these with Comply tips on against the DBAs and the DBAs just sounded more realistic, felt live if you will. Then I swapped the Comply tips on the HJE for UE tips and the sound came closer to that of the DBA in terms of that 'live' realistic feel.

Listening to "Jim Keltner" on The Scheffield Track & Record right now (thanks to whoever it was that recommended this!), and the drums definitely sound more present with UE tips.

Sep 27, 2010 at 4:49 AM Post #273 of 599
Here's another tip I tried out the last couple of days:

It's also from the Sennheiser CX-Series (came with CX500) and it fits perfectly. It does go far back, though, which takes some movement out of the air without actually covering the air holes.
Here's my perception:

+ less boomy bass, which makes it even more punchy with great impact
+ to my ears a perfectly balanced frequency line (lesser bass, more mids)
+ great isolation due to the biflanges
+ very secure fit
+ wide opening secures excellent treble

The pros come with some disadvantages, though:

- less airy sound (not as good instrument seperation) and as a result...
- ... not as great soundstage (instruments don't feel shrinked in your head but crowded
- sturdy material might be uncomfortable for some

So if anybody is not feeling comfortable with the V shaped frequency graph, this might be worth considering. This is also the best bass I got out of these babies, yet. However, personally I really really love the extremely well separated soundstage of the Pannys, so I'm continuing my search...

Sep 27, 2010 at 7:18 AM Post #274 of 599

Quote:
Here's another tip I tried out the last couple of days:

Umm ,they look the same as the good old senn double flange tips from the ie7 & ie8 series ,i often use them on various iem's in my collection ,ie7 ,ie8 ,,mtpg mtpc , ortos ,hje900 ,tf10 , they give nice bass ,and create a solid seal in the ear ,but your right they do make the midrange less airy and a bit congested with some songs .

Sep 27, 2010 at 3:11 PM Post #275 of 599
I received via UPS today my Sleek SA6 replacement cable for the use with my HJE900 today. Here are my quick impressions:

Build - The cable are much thinner than the Panny stock cable. What this mean build quality-wise I don't know. I know in  early '09 there were a lot of complaints about the build quality, but I read that was suppose to be fixed. Time will tell, but although thin, it feels pretty sturdy to me.

Fit - The fit is wonderful for my ears. The stock Panny cable always felt a little unstable around my ear and the long metal stem made it awkward for the the cables to loop around my earlobes. No such problem with the Sleek cable. I'm using the gray Phonak - my tips of choice right now - and I seem to get a more stable insertion and seal.

Sound - I can tell right off the back that these cables won't be for everyone. But for me, I like the SA6 cable better than the stock Panny cable. First, the SA6 increases the bass even more and it bring the mids forward quite a bit. The mids seem almost parallel to the bass, vocals are really brought up more forward. If you could hear a singer inhaling air before belting out a song with the stock cables, you will really hear it enhanced with the SA6 cables. Treble, however, is more tamed through this cable. Highs aren't as sharp or harsh. Those who love treble may not like this aspect of taming the treble, but it suits me just fine.

Soundstage seems wider through the SA6. I feel as if I've taken a seat about five rows back from where the stock cables had me seated. With this said, the SA6 gives - for my ears - quite a bit more instrument separation and 3-D imaging. Instruments sound taller and fuller. I am hearing nuances in string sections that I didn't hear before - and I thought the clarity and detail was great through the stock cables. It sounds better with more detail to me through the SA6. I am curious about what effect these cables with have on other tips. Sound-wise, the SA6 cable seems to have been a good investment for me.

Sep 27, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #277 of 599
interesting observations @ericp ,not sure those cables are for me though if they give the midrange parity with the bass and reduce the treble to much .

Is it the same cable that comes with the sa1 buddy ? i may be tempted to try those if that was the case ,killing two birds with one stone so to speak .
happy_face1.gif

Sep 27, 2010 at 3:36 PM Post #279 of 599

Quote:
They do not need an amp in any case, neither my Headstage Arrow nor my Echo AudioFire made them sound any different than they would sound straight out of a decent MP3 player.

I recently ordered headstage arrow amp to use it for iphone / d2 + se530 setup

I am also looking at this panny iem... so... if i get panny, I don't need this amp at all since it doesn't change the sound?

Maybe I should cancel order on amp and save myself 265 USD?????

Sep 27, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #281 of 599

Quote:
So I got mine earlier today in the mail. I do like them having detachable cables which are nice and thankfully for me their cable length is not a problem like some other people so they are just the right length where I can put it in my pocket and over the ears and some extra length for moving around. This is only with my J3 where it prefers a straight plug as the headphone out is on the bottom.

I believe this have 20 hours or so on them so my clip+ will get plenty of use over the next couple days.

Just out of curiosity does the chin slider fall down after some time? it seems a bit loose to me. However the detachable cable system seems better than the TF10 which were damn near impossible to take out. These are not as heavy as I thought they would be so should be fine. They are warm but not as much as my Eterna so far. They seem fairly balanced with the mids being a tiny bit recessed but not as much as the TF10 (from memory) and sound closer to what I wanted the TF10 to sound like but I'll see how they compare in a couple days. Time for these to go to the clip+

I also have TF10, so these 100 usd IEM is comparable to 400 usd IEM??

Sep 27, 2010 at 3:52 PM Post #282 of 599

Quote:

I recently ordered headstage arrow amp to use it for iphone / d2 + se530 setup

I am also looking at this panny iem... so... if i get panny, I don't need this amp at all since it doesn't change the sound?

Maybe I should cancel order on amp and save myself 265 USD?????

Well, the SE530 sure can benefit from an amp, as difficult to drive and as hissy as they are.

Sep 27, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #284 of 599
Is that from speculation or experience with the TF10?

@straden: I no longer have my TF10 but my post there may have not been as clear. I did not mean that the TF10 should be in the same sentence as the HJE900 and I can't confirm or deny but I'll probably guess that the TF10 is still a step up. I find the HJE900 pretty close to top tier and at the same level as my RE-Zero which is pretty good but not quite at the top. I meant more that I enjoy their sound better and even better now that I have added some foam in between the drivers and the filter. The TF10 had pretty recessed mids which I do not like while the HJE900 is more balanced than the TF10. When I got the TF10 I expected something more balanced and more neutral and I got neither of those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back