Panasonic RP-HJE900 Zirconia Review
Sep 27, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #286 of 599

Quote:
Weird. One of the two cables must be defective if it audibly influences the sound quality of the phones.

Well @ dfkt I am certainly no tech wiz to argue the merits or discredit your statement. I can only go by what I hear. But, I would have to ask why do audiophile-heads spin hundreds of dollars for upgraded cables if it has no bearing on the sound (thousands of dollars when it comes to home audio cables even)? I do know that various cables changes to my B&W speakers have influenced the sound. Tips influence the sound on my IEMs, so why wouldn't the cable wiring not influence the sound (not all cables are the same)? Just questions. If it's psycho-acoustics, well it works for me.

Sep 27, 2010 at 4:28 PM Post #287 of 599

Quote:
interesting observations @ericp ,not sure those cables are for me though if they give the midrange parity with the bass and reduce the treble to much .

Is it the same cable that comes with the sa1 buddy ? i may be tempted to try those if that was the case ,killing two birds with one stone so to speak .
happy_face1.gif

Not sure about the SA1 buddy. I just know the cables are compatible with the SA6.

Sep 27, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #288 of 599
It's not the same cable. The way the SA6 connect is different. They do use the same plugs however but just different angles. The SA6 is more of a right angle connector to the housing while the SA1 is more like the stock cable where it is straight which is why I'm thinking of getting the SA1 and not the SA6 even though I can get the SA6 cable in a store but not the other.

edit: two threads on the same earphone going on at the same time is a bit confusing :p

Sep 27, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #289 of 599

Quote:
But, I would have to ask why do audiophile-heads spin hundreds of dollars for upgraded cables if it has no bearing on the sound (thousands of dollars when it comes to home audio cables even)? I do know that various cables changes to my B&W speakers have influenced the sound. Tips influence the sound on my IEMs, so why wouldn't the cable wiring not influence the sound (not all cables are the same)? Just questions. If it's psycho-acoustics, well it works for me.

Because they fall for any placebo, if the price or blingy looks are right. Remember the clowns from Virtual Dynamics - once Head-Fi sponsors, now out of business? Cables make absolutely no difference, except they're faulty or not up to specs. Which is very unlikely with a 1 meter IEM cable from a reputable manufacturer. But as I said before, anything can happen - maybe one of the two cables indeed is faulty, Sleek or Panasonic.

As for tips, of course they can make a difference, since they do have different nozzle lengths and diameters, or are made from materials with different refractive/dispersive properties (dense silicon vs. porous foam, etc). Those parameters of course influence the sound.

But electrons flowing through a properly shielded copper cable are just electrons flowing through a properly shielded copper cable. There can be no difference when it's done right.

Sep 27, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #290 of 599
Okay, thanks for the insight @ dfkt. Well, the SA6 sounds damn good to me, and better than the stock cable. Why? I can't answer that, but my ears are happy!
beerchug.gif
o2smile.gif

Sep 27, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #292 of 599

Quote:
I'm with DFKT concerning the cable myth
rolleyes.gif

That's fine. I'm going to go with my ears. There's a clear difference in sound to me. Now what's causing it I don't know, but I've been A/Bing and there's a difference.

Sep 27, 2010 at 6:40 PM Post #293 of 599

Quote:
Weird. One of the two cables must be defective if it audibly influences the sound quality of the phones.

Lol, here it comes.  
wink_face.gif

So is someone ever going to post a pic of the sleek cables on the 900s over the ear?

Sep 28, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #294 of 599
For me cable do change sound, I tested alot speaker cable: cable talk, QED,monster cable, crystal cable, transparent, etc, all have difference sound.

Don't know sa1 use same cable as sa6 or not cause I don't like "over the ear".
biggrin.gif

Sep 28, 2010 at 3:37 AM Post #295 of 599
No offence, guys! I was just talking in general. I agree with DFKT on the idea that whether a cable works or it does not. Then of course, there might be a problem with one particular cable that makes it sound differently.

Sep 28, 2010 at 5:14 AM Post #296 of 599

Quote:
Lol, here it comes.  
wink_face.gif

So is someone ever going to post a pic of the sleek cables on the 900s over the ear?

I did! I posted like a gazillion of them in this thread, and that was before I found out a fifth method of wearing them =P Lemme go find.

EDIT: Found: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/502289/panasonic-rp-hje900-zirconia-review/195#post_6932395

As a note, these positions are somewhat rough. The SA6 cables really let you angle the IEMs in a bunch of different ways, and you eventually find something comfortable and sturdy feeling. They probably spend most of their time going above ear somewhat like in the second cord-up SA6 example.

Sep 28, 2010 at 5:25 AM Post #297 of 599
I mentioned this in the other HJE900 thread, but though it would be appropriate to reiterate here since there is more of a thread going on about that. The SA6 cables allow the HJE900s to be inserted deeper and more sturdily into the ear, at least in my case, as they have not those long stems. I too noticed an immediate difference between the two cables, but I think it might have to do with the deeper and better fit, if there was really any at all.

Sep 28, 2010 at 8:34 AM Post #298 of 599
I don't think the cables should cause a large difference, I imagine that they could have different resistances which could do something... and electrons don't actually flow as such
wink.gif

Sep 28, 2010 at 2:19 PM Post #299 of 599

Quote:
I did! I posted like a gazillion of them in this thread, and that was before I found out a fifth method of wearing them =P Lemme go find.

EDIT: Found: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/502289/panasonic-rp-hje900-zirconia-review/195#post_6932395

As a note, these positions are somewhat rough. The SA6 cables really let you angle the IEMs in a bunch of different ways, and you eventually find something comfortable and sturdy feeling. They probably spend most of their time going above ear somewhat like in the second cord-up SA6 example.

Thx man!  Don't know how I missed those.  Really cool options for wearing w/ the Sleek cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back