Panasonic CZs (HJE900) Appreciation Thread and Pending Review
Jan 25, 2011 at 11:08 AM Post #706 of 920

Quote:
For metalheads using this with a J3, the following eq gave me a metal eargasm, crunchy thick wall of guitar sound! I used the larger of the two triple flange tips from my moms MMD set. Sibilance?? NONE!

HAHAHAHAHA that's awesome

I'll have to try those settings out as I A.) am a metalhead and B.) have a Cowon D2+, should be close enough

Jan 25, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #707 of 920

biggrin.gif
 Enjoy!! And the triple flanges are highly highly recommended!

Quote:

Quote:
For metalheads using this with a J3, the following eq gave me a metal eargasm, crunchy thick wall of guitar sound! I used the larger of the two triple flange tips from my moms MMD set. Sibilance?? NONE!

HAHAHAHAHA that's awesome

I'll have to try those settings out as I A.) am a metalhead and B.) have a Cowon D2+, should be close enough

Jan 25, 2011 at 8:12 PM Post #708 of 920

compared to tf10. hje900 sounds too warm and a bit dull. the sound stage is smaller. with tf10 you get better separation.
I don't feel the mids too distant. tf10 gives a good representation that music and voice mix together in good harmony.
hje900 is better than tf10 in presenting trance, the beats are more exciting. for other genres, hje seems a bit dark and dull.
Quote:

Can you please give more detail on how they stack against each other sound wise and what makes tf10 that much better? I'm also interested in tf10 but afraid based on reviews they are too laid back and smooth with mids even more distant than hje. I tried W2 but promptly came back to hje since Westones sounded too anemic and polite while technically being probably better.

Jan 29, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #709 of 920

kojebee said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

In summary, the CZs may not be the best at any one particular area, but they sure as heck are one of the best of being at least decent at pretty much everything I can think of. I don't feel like I've made any real compromises with my purchase of these, and that's why I love them. ^_^

and foam modded with comply tips back to front.

Bought and sold many, many IEMs and always ended up selling because something was 'missing', and I've owned a few! Many of which, were more expensive than the Panasonics.

Highs don't leave me wanting, lows don't leave me wanting, and mids leave me satisified (got around 1000 hours on these now, mids have improved since I bought them imo).

I'm glad they have finally been recognized.

Satisified with my portable set up, and my home set up, after a long time of trying

Now I got it, Many thanks to your description! It's comprehensive.

Jan 30, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #710 of 920

[size=medium]
I just got W3 and it's amazing how three (sic!)  times less expensive Panasonics HJE900 stand their own against famed Westones both sonically and build wise. Same story was with MTPG which are like 2x more expensive than Panys.

With W3 I've got good seal both with tall Complys and with Etys tri-flanges with cutoff stem. With anything else including any single-flange silicon tips whether stock or Shure or with medium Shure olives or shorter Complys W3 fit and sound like cr*p. 

All 3 (HJE, MTPG and W3) have more or less same type of sound which I'm after. As far as I'm concerned sound wise W3 have only two things that they do better than HJE - sibilance control with the right tips and wider (but not deeper) soundstage. In everything else HJE are either better or at least on par.  True, on W3 Complys and tri-flanges allow for lack of sibilance but at the price of overall muffled and dark presentation.  Even with Complys Panas sound brighter and more detailed though with somewhat hotter highs. Compared to W3 Panas also, IMO, don't suffer same intrusion of bass into mids and have better instrument separation. Package wise W3 have a longer but non-replaceable cable, come with more tips but as opposed to HJE have plastic housings and  ineligible left/right marks. I just don't see any reason to pay 3x more so W3 will probably go back.

Similar story was with MTPG whcih proved to be soundwise closer to Panas but with less sibilant highs and the expense of inferior imaging. I also found MTPGs to be very fiddly with ear insertion and to have an intolerable pimp-look.  So I sold them.

And I'm still left with HJE with which I have a passionate love/hate relationship constantly looking to dump them and always coming back.

[/size]

Jan 31, 2011 at 1:00 AM Post #711 of 920
I have interesting news to report. My after always thinking of them as indestructible, my HJE900s broke.

Well, not quite. I lent them to a "friend" overnight, after telling them they were pretty much impossible to break. I get the hunch he set out to test this theory. Anyway, after I got them back, I noticed that one CZ shell had separated in two! And no, I do not mean the plastic bottom portion separated from the CZ, but rather that the CZ split along the middle line. Basically, the CZ shell is made up of two pieces glued together, not one whole as I had previously thought. The internal wiring is still fine, and sound is identical to before. So basically, it isn't broken so much as the pieces became unglued, all I need do is glue it back. It's just odd because I hadn't heart of this happening to anyone else, but I did abuse mine very very much, with never so much as a scratch until now.

Actually, and interestingly, it seems the front portion houses the driver and the back portion is just there for show; the split piece sounded exactly the same despite being completely open to the air, bass presence and treble and all. This is because the back part of the driver seems to be enclosed inside of a plastic housing within the protective ceramic housing. I only listened to it split once though,so I'll confirm for sure next time. This could lead to some interesting fit mods. 

I'll try to take pics soon.

Jan 31, 2011 at 8:11 AM Post #712 of 920

Quote:
I have interesting news to report. My after always thinking of them as indestructible, my HJE900s broke.

Well, not quite. I lent them to a "friend" overnight, after telling them they were pretty much impossible to break. I get the hunch he set out to test this theory. Anyway, after I got them back, I noticed that one CZ shell had separated in two! And no, I do not mean the plastic bottom portion separated from the CZ, but rather that the CZ split along the middle line. Basically, the CZ shell is made up of two pieces glued together, not one whole as I had previously thought. The internal wiring is still fine, and sound is identical to before. So basically, it isn't broken so much as the pieces became unglued, all I need do is glue it back. It's just odd because I hadn't heart of this happening to anyone else, but I did abuse mine very very much, with never so much as a scratch until now.

Actually, and interestingly, it seems the front portion houses the driver and the back portion is just there for show; the split piece sounded exactly the same despite being completely open to the air, bass presence and treble and all. This is because the back part of the driver seems to be enclosed inside of a plastic housing within the protective ceramic housing. I only listened to it split once though,so I'll confirm for sure next time. This could lead to some interesting fit mods. 

I'll try to take pics soon.

Major bummer.  You should show your friend their MSRP, tell him he owes you $100 and you'll call it even.

Jan 31, 2011 at 12:56 PM Post #713 of 920
This happened to mine yesterday i just glued it back together and like you im very abusive and i also noticed it did sound the same opened up. This is somewhat cool to me because now if the jack ever gets faulty now that to is user replacible. :)

Jan 31, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #715 of 920
Interesting news......that is not interesting more like agitating, sorry it happened though hopefully you glue'd it back 
rolleyes.gif

Jan 31, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #716 of 920
Thanks guys, it really isn't that big of an issue =] I just need a bit of superglue and it will be fine =P

Quote:
Napilopez, the inside of many dynamics earphones are like that no?

Well, I haven't seen inside too many dynamic IEMs. From what I've seen of full size dynamics, usually the "back" of the driver is usually facing the outside of the enclosure, wheres in this case there is an encolosure inside of an enclosure. That's not to say the CZ doesn't do anything at all; it seems that it manages the resonance front face of the driver. I was just surprised that it sounded pretty much the same without the back part of the enclosure. The inner plastic back is vented itself, though, and the wiring on the inside seems to be quite sturdy. I'm actually happy I know it can be opened now, since if for some reason the wiring on the inside goes bad, I know I should be able to fix it.

Feb 2, 2011 at 4:10 PM Post #717 of 920
Agreed, as well as better cables let me know if you want to know which to use for a DIY project. 

Feb 2, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #718 of 920
I just put Sleek Audio replacement cables on my birthday list...here's to hoping I get them!  My least favorite thing about the Panas is that I can't wear them over-ear with the stock cable.  I've got high hopes that the SA cable fixes that for me!

Feb 2, 2011 at 7:01 PM Post #719 of 920
It will but as always their just has to be a problem with something. They freaking harden over time still usable but they harden it's annoying as hell, having your own DIY person works wonders. Even then the idiots don't want to solder tiny earphone cables. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back