Panasonic CZs (HJE900) Appreciation Thread and Pending Review
Dec 2, 2010 at 6:22 PM Post #678 of 920

Quote:
yeah, but i noticed the larger set doesn't have any triple-flange .. are the standard and bi-flange tips good enough?

I don't like the triple flanges.  I have a difficult time getting a good seal, and when I do, the sound is inferior all around to the other tips.  YMMV.

Dec 2, 2010 at 6:24 PM Post #679 of 920

Quote:
Quote:

Here it is for me. The SA6 cables don't really do much in SQ

Thanks!!!!  Yeah in terms of SQ, I don't believe in the cable fairies, but I've also never changed out the cables on any of my phones before, so I don't want to try to call BS on anyone else claiming they hear a change.  That looks a much better fit to me than what I get with a straight cable, I may have to invest...are there any other cable options available other than the Sleek?

They are a better fit. The Sleek Audio SA1 could also be an option. Other than that I can't think of any other cable unless you can make your own cable. I didn't hear a change with the cable but ericp10 did so who knows.

Dec 2, 2010 at 10:20 PM Post #680 of 920

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks!!!!  Yeah in terms of SQ, I don't believe in the cable fairies, but I've also never changed out the cables on any of my phones before, so I don't want to try to call BS on anyone else claiming they hear a change.  That looks a much better fit to me than what I get with a straight cable, I may have to invest...are there any other cable options available other than the Sleek?

They are a better fit. The Sleek Audio SA1 could also be an option. Other than that I can't think of any other cable unless you can make your own cable. I didn't hear a change with the cable but ericp10 did so who knows.

Eric himself however stated that the change he heard was due to the better fit/deeper insertion the SA6 cable gave him. It's not pixie dust, just fit and comfort. Having seen the ridiculously long stems of the stock cables, I think I'd be saying the same thing (only have experience with the SA6 cable).

Dec 3, 2010 at 12:08 PM Post #681 of 920

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Eric himself however stated that the change he heard was due to the better fit/deeper insertion the SA6 cable gave him. It's not pixie dust, just fit and comfort. Having seen the ridiculously long stems of the stock cables, I think I'd be saying the same thing (only have experience with the SA6 cable).

Agreed I think it's just better fit the quality is cool until cold weather arrives. Then they harden like statues I would suggest if you can't handle this....stay away. It's a shame really....you can literally feel them hardening around your ears, heat will reverse this but this shouldn't be needed in the first place.

Dec 3, 2010 at 4:21 PM Post #682 of 920
I found a good solution for replacing the filters that I haven't seen elsewhere: used dryer sheets. It's pretty tough material for how thin and light it isI, but chock full of tiny holes, and its surface has a kind of non-stick quality. If it's not perfectly acoustically transparent it must be very close.

I took the end of a piece of wire (stripped) and used it to get some residue from an Elmer's glue stick. I then dabbed this residue around the edge of the hje900's driver opening.  I cut tiny circles from the dryer sheet, and stuck them on.  So far I have removed and replaced tips several times and they are staying in place.  This also lets me seal in the perfect amount of foam. You can always rip these makeshift filters off and because Elmer's is water-based, there is no permanent effect on the IEMs.

After experimenting with the foam mod, I like these more than I did in my recent post. I'm actually using two types of foam. Maybe overkill but it seems to really help. The type I put in first is from a computer fan's filter material, very airy foam. I just put in a tiny "fluff" of this material. On top of that I put in another tiny fluff of foam from some old cheap headphones - it's a lot denser. Maybe it's just in my mind, but combining these two types seems to hit a sweet spot that either one alone did not.

Dec 3, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #683 of 920

Quote:
I found a good solution for replacing the filters that I haven't seen elsewhere: used dryer sheets. It's pretty tough material for how thin and light it isI, but chock full of tiny holes, and its surface has a kind of non-stick quality. If it's not perfectly acoustically transparent it must be very close.

I took the end of a piece of wire (stripped) and used it to get some residue from an Elmer's glue stick. I then dabbed this residue around the edge of the hje900's driver opening.  I cut tiny circles from the dryer sheet, and stuck them on.  So far I have removed and replaced tips several times and they are staying in place.  This also lets me seal in the perfect amount of foam. You can always rip these makeshift filters off and because Elmer's is water-based, there is no permanent effect on the IEMs.

After experimenting with the foam mod, I like these more than I did in my recent post. I'm actually using two types of foam. Maybe overkill but it seems to really help. The type I put in first is from a computer fan's filter material, very airy foam. I just put in a tiny "fluff" of this material. On top of that I put in another tiny fluff of foam from some old cheap headphones - it's a lot denser. Maybe it's just in my mind, but combining these two types seems to hit a sweet spot that either one alone did not.

Interesting, don't forget pantyhose.

Dec 4, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #684 of 920
So I guess after tomorrow I'll no longer own a pair of the HJE900. It was fun while it lasted but lack of use makes me not need them anymore. Also my M2 seems to do the job as the fun pair of earphones as well as the watch videos or movies earphone. Although surprisingly the M2 is a bit more boosted in the bass than the HJE900 but nowhere near an IE8. The HJE900 is superior but no need when I'm trying to cut down on as many universals to fund another pair of customs. I got close to what I paid for so the guy who bought my pair got a pretty good deal imo.

Dec 4, 2010 at 10:34 PM Post #686 of 920

Quote:
So I guess after tomorrow I'll no longer own a pair of the HJE900. It was fun while it lasted but lack of use makes me not need them anymore. Also my M2 seems to do the job as the fun pair of earphones as well as the watch videos or movies earphone. Although surprisingly the M2 is a bit more boosted in the bass than the HJE900 but nowhere near an IE8. The HJE900 is superior but no need when I'm trying to cut down on as many universals to fund another pair of customs. I got close to what I paid for so the guy who bought my pair got a pretty good deal imo.

The Panas will miss you and you will miss them lol, I've wondered about the M2 but I buckled down and got the M1. As a 'backup' I wonder will you revisit the 'Pana' world making them customs would be heaven. Perfect fit, better cord....things the Pana would benefit from, hmmmm one can wonder.

Dec 4, 2010 at 10:42 PM Post #687 of 920
Considering I can count the number of times I've had listening sessions of them in the last 2 months or so with one hand I think I'll be fine :) The RE262 and M2 will have to do. I might add the NE700 when it becomes available but that's an afterthought for now. I'm just waiting for my package from mp4nation which won't come anytime soon since it's the N2 and ProAlpha preorder so maybe sometime in the middle to end of January. I don't need any very good universals unless I sell my RE262 and buy a CK10. I've been working on getting rid of most of my universals and with the HJE900 it's complete although I'll have to do that again when my package from mp4nation arrives. My desk drawer has never had so much space.

Dec 7, 2010 at 11:38 AM Post #688 of 920
Man the timbre on these takes the sound to another level, such a unique aspect of these IEM's!! I find myself missing that warm bodied and lovely resonance when I'm listening to my other IEM's. Animals as Leaders sounds just amazing

Dec 8, 2010 at 1:19 PM Post #689 of 920

Quote:
Man the timbre on these takes the sound to another level, such a unique aspect of these IEM's!! I find myself missing that warm bodied and lovely resonance when I'm listening to my other IEM's. Animals as Leaders sounds just amazing

Indeed.

Dec 10, 2010 at 9:08 AM Post #690 of 920
I think I have a love/hate relationship with these iems. I've recently been in female vocal (e.g., folk/jazz) phase in terms of music listening, and I couldn't stand the recessed vocals and sibilance issues to the point that I tried to "cheat" on them by trading them for more neutral iems. However, yesterday after feeling discouraged from a poor job interview, I wanted something upbeat and anghsty so I put on some some Lady Gaga and Katy Perry (bring on the flame!) and had a great FUN time with the panas. I forgot how good the bass response was - the midbass has great detail to it, and the low bass has a crisp, fast punchiness. For some reason, the recessed mids wasn't a problem with these tracks. And even though the vocals still sounded unnatural, synthesized at times, it didn't bother me as much since I wasn't listening to these tracks with vocals in mind. I am now considering keeping them. Also, I did some comparisons with foamed/unfoamed, and I am now preferring it in its stock, unfoamed state. IMO, it seems like the foam takes off a bit of the sparkle in exchange for reducing the sibilance (trade-offs!), and I had to raise the volume higher when foamed to get to same volume level as unfoamed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back