Panasonic CZs (HJE900) Appreciation Thread and Pending Review
Nov 30, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #661 of 920

Quote:
Are there any pictures on what the HJE's look like in someone's ears with the Sleek SA6 audio cable?  I just did a bunch of searching and couldn't find one.  I did like what some were saying about the way they affected the sound...  :)

Napilopez posted pics somewhere here I think

I'm not sure if the SA6 cable did much to the sound for me if any. Of course the tips I use are meant to have a shallow fit than deep.

Dec 1, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #663 of 920

Quote:

Here it is for me. The SA6 cables don't really do much in SQ

Thanks!!!!  Yeah in terms of SQ, I don't believe in the cable fairies, but I've also never changed out the cables on any of my phones before, so I don't want to try to call BS on anyone else claiming they hear a change.  That looks a much better fit to me than what I get with a straight cable, I may have to invest...are there any other cable options available other than the Sleek?

Dec 1, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #664 of 920

Quote:
Quote:

Here it is for me. The SA6 cables don't really do much in SQ

Thanks!!!!  1.Yeah in terms of SQ, I don't believe in the cable fairies, but I've also never changed out the cables on any of my phones before, so I don't want to try to call BS on anyone else claiming they hear a change.  That looks a much better fit to me than what I get with a straight cable, I may have to invest...2. are there any other cable options available other than the Sleek?

1. Agreed.
2. Good question, they can be made but I don't know if the person me and you know with expertise will make them 
frown.gif

Dec 1, 2010 at 10:17 PM Post #666 of 920

Quote:
And they look ugly compared to very classy stock straight connectors.

Fortunately I listen with my ears and not my eyes  :)

Dec 1, 2010 at 11:24 PM Post #668 of 920
I just got these in the mail today. I bought them used, and the guy assured me they had 150+ hours on them (including several uninterrupted days of 24/7 burn-in playlist), so burn-in would seem unnecessary.

I also have some "balanced" M9 tips, and UE compatible tips, that I bought to use with them. They are my first IEM. I have tried them with and without the foam mod. With the M9 tips, the foam mod is not really necessary, because for me they live up to their name and balance out the sound pretty nicely (these tips also put the drivers an extra cm away from your ear canal). With the UE tips I find the mod is necessary to avoid shrillness.  Overall I prefer the balanced tips - the sound signature is just best to my ears, though the UE tips do widen the sound stage a little and still sound pretty nice.

What do I think of them? They're okay. I do feel a bit disappointed, but only because I had built up a lot of anticipation, I think. They are certainly a big step up from the stock iPhone earbuds, but also certainly a major step down from the K701's I am used to. I guess this is not surprising, since their price ($80 used) falls about in the middle.

I hear quite strong, boomy bass, even with the foam mod. This is a little problematic for me, because to my ears these are a "basshead" headphone, which is not what I wanted. I was expecting something that was relatively neutral, just with a minor boost in the low end and highs. To my ears they have a pretty major boost in those areas, and while the right tips even this out a lot, they are still pretty boomy in the bass to me. To think that people are seeking out IEMs with a lot more bass than these, is kind of ridiculous. Overall there's a kind of muddiness to them that I'm not thrilled about; I think this is what many others mean when they say the detail is "smoothed over" with these IEMs. It's strange that some detail does stand out that even the K701s don't catch - like a bassoon player's keys clicking in one very well-recorded classical disc I have - but if I choose to focus on any one thing (like the actual sound from the bassoon), the detail is nothing special.

I've only spent about two hours listening so far, so my ears will probably adjust. I know they have a bit already. But so far I think they are merely good; I'm not about to sell them off in disgust or anything, I'll keep them a while, but at the same time it's a little baffling how much some people love these. I don't think they're THAT good.

Is this thread supposed to contain only gushing reviews? :wink: Sorry if that's the case, though I DO appreciate them, just not to the extent of some. This seems like the dominant HJE900 thread at the moment which is why I put my thoughts here.

Dec 1, 2010 at 11:37 PM Post #669 of 920
You sound like an Xcape or REZero user to me.  The 900 bass is perhaps big and punchy but it's pretty quick.  Never struck me as boomy which seems odd to me.  Stiffer silicone might tighten up the bass and reduce the muddiness for you a bit.  

Dec 2, 2010 at 1:08 AM Post #670 of 920
^Agreed. While the hje900 certainly has a strong and impactful bass, and even a little warmth, it's certainly not a basshead IEM. It's just that slowpogo is used to his k701, which like etymotic's IEMs are simply lacking in low end presence.

Dec 2, 2010 at 1:23 PM Post #671 of 920

Quote:
^Agreed. While the hje900 certainly has a strong and impactful bass, and even a little warmth, it's certainly not a basshead IEM. It's just that slowpogo is used to his k701, which like etymotic's IEMs are simply lacking in low end presence.

Agreed, and I speak for myself but bad reviews as well as good reviews are welcome. Boomy bass......basshead......I think not. These aren't atrio,monster golds or hippos. They do have some nice impact but a basshead would have way more body. Different ears of course but basshead.....one thing about them that people fail to mention is crap in crap out applies. I think it's more about good mastered and bad because some 128 plays fine...others don't. Basically if you music does not have bass it won't if it does it will. I've been thru plenty of listening sessions pissed because a song didn't have bass or did. As well as a bass sounding muddy or not, it all depends on the song. Give your ears some time, I had too I think a couple ppl remember me HATING them when I first got them. I repeat I hated them I was wondering what was wrong....something had to be wrong 
wink.gif

Dec 2, 2010 at 2:19 PM Post #673 of 920

Quote:
Quote:

Agreed, and I speak for myself but bad reviews as well as good reviews are welcome. Boomy bass......basshead......I think not. These aren't atrio,monster golds or hippos. They do have some nice impact but a basshead would have way more body. Different ears of course but basshead.....one thing about them that people fail to mention is crap in crap out applies. I think it's more about good mastered and bad because some 128 plays fine...others don't. Basically if you music does not have bass it won't if it does it will. I've been thru plenty of listening sessions pissed because a song didn't have bass or did. As well as a bass sounding muddy or not, it all depends on the song. Give your ears some time, I had too I think a couple ppl remember me HATING them when I first got them. I repeat I hated them I was wondering what was wrong....something had to be wrong 
wink.gif

Yep, these are not basshead, but they are punchy.  Mine have sounded better in pretty much every respect as they've broken in; I didn't like their sound out-of-the-box either.

Dec 2, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #675 of 920

Users who are viewing this thread

Back