Panasonic CZs (HJE900) Appreciation Thread and Pending Review
Feb 23, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #736 of 920
Never had a problem with the filters on my first pair either. On my second pair though the filters were really fragile. Both came off when I switched the tips, lol. Must be an older batch

Feb 23, 2011 at 11:45 PM Post #737 of 920
My filters did not come out when changing tips, but came out after 4 months when the phones were yanked from my ears hard enough to pull off the tips. I actually reglued the filters on, but I'll buy the RE package.

Feb 24, 2011 at 2:01 PM Post #738 of 920
The first pairs that were being sent out had some issues but they have since fixed. 

The first pair I purchased came out within a hour of tip changing. The second is fine.

Mar 5, 2011 at 8:41 AM Post #741 of 920
Sansa Clip+.

The reason it sounds poor is because of the weak headphone output on the Shuffle.  The Clip+, which is about the same size as the Shuffle, is universally acclaimed for its sound quality despite its diminutive size.  It also can run Rockbox should the stock firmware not suit you.

Mar 5, 2011 at 8:46 AM Post #742 of 920
I've been trying out my Sleek headphone cable on the HJE900's and I can't decide if I like them or not.

Pros:
I can wear my Panas over-the-ear, which I can't do with the stock cable
Much improved microphonics/cable noise
Slightly longer than the short stock cable

Cons:
Friggin awkward to get in my ears (especially w/ Comply tips)
Build quality is sub-par to stock cable, cable seems flimsy
No quick way to distinguish between left and right ear w/o adding your own marking

Mar 5, 2011 at 10:38 AM Post #743 of 920
Interesting. The detachable cable is a big feature of the pannys and its a shame one can't seem to get the official replacement. I find it perfectly possible to wear the stock cable over my ears which is in fact the only way I can get the big biflange tips in my ears.

Mar 5, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #744 of 920

Quote:
Interesting. The detachable cable is a big feature of the pannys and its a shame one can't seem to get the official replacement. I find it perfectly possible to wear the stock cable over my ears which is in fact the only way I can get the big biflange tips in my ears.

I still have the original cable, I just got a Sleek cable so I could wear them over-ear.  I have small ears, which may be why I can't do the stock cable that way; the long plug at each earphone sticks out too far.  If the plug was just a little shorter, I'd be much happier with it.

Mar 5, 2011 at 11:29 AM Post #745 of 920
When I had these I liked the Sleek Audio cable much better. It was not as short and the pin connector is not as long so it was easier for over the ear and a better fit.

Mar 5, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #747 of 920
Lost my iPod and was playing through the shuffle and it sounds crap on my Pana’s. Looking for cheap options for a music player to pair it with these phones. Looking for atleast 4Gb.
Any suggestions

Panas are pretty efficient phones so I doubt shuffle can't sufficiently drive them. What region is your shuffle set to? I know for EU there's a new law that limits the output volume presumably to save people from themselves since government always knows better which listening volume is good for you. I had same problem with European Sansa Clip+ which went away after I changed region to Americas. Installing Rockbox made it even better.

Normally I listen to Panas on iPhone4 which drives them very well and in general has decent amp. Rockboxed Clip+ 8GB is my backup and I second recommendation for it. I also have a portable FiiO 7 DAC/amp and stationary Creek headamp both of which improve Panas but not by much which is testimony of their efficiency.

Mar 7, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #748 of 920
Just coming here to say that I recently bought the Denon D1100s, which I think are truly great for the price, yet they still bow down to the HJE900s overall, imo. I love the pannies.

I know comparisons between full size headphones and in ears are not worth much to some people, but the pannies have deeper bass, a more realistic spatial presentation that is surprisingly only slightly smaller, and have better timbre. The bass hits harder and doesn't roll off as noticeably, yet somehow is faster too. On my better recordings, the pannies provide me with a better illusion of listening to real instruments rather than just headphones. I feel like I can point out individual instruments easier on the HJE900s, despite the D1100s having a more open presentation(they are, after all, much larger). They are close, and we'll see what the Denons sound like after more time, but so far the pannies emerge clearly victorious.

My quest for something better than the Pannies without spending too much more money continues. :p

Mar 7, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #749 of 920

Quote:
Just coming here to say that I recently bought the Denon D1100s, which I think are truly great for the price, yet they still bow down to the HJE900s overall, imo. I love the pannies.

I know comparisons between full size headphones and in ears are not worth much to some people, but the pannies have deeper bass, a more realistic spatial presentation that is surprisingly only slightly smaller, and have better timbre. The bass hits harder and doesn't roll off as noticeably, yet somehow is faster too. On my better recordings, the pannies provide me with a better illusion of listening to real instruments rather than just headphones. I feel like I can point out individual instruments easier on the HJE900s, despite the D1100s having a more open presentation(they are, after all, much larger). They are close, and we'll see what the Denons sound like after more time, but so far the pannies emerge clearly victorious.

My quest for something better than the Pannies without spending too much more money continues. :p

[size=medium]
I'm enjoying my Audio Technica M50's...I'll have to A/B them with my Panas later and see how they compare.  You're right that it's quite difficult to compare headphones and IEM's though.
[/size]

Mar 7, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #750 of 920
From my impressions they are surprisingly similar to the Pannies. Don't own the M50s but did a few hours of auditioning a few months ago. Basically the M50s are like the HJEs with less bass and more forward mids. But I think the 900s have better timbre and I prefer their more energetic presentation, even if they are missing some of the refinement of the M50s. There is something about the 900s timbre that really calls to me, I guess, which I am quite sure has to do with the lack of resonance from the CZ housings. It's a very transparent timbre IMO, which makes them sound open. What I mean is that with the Denons and M50 I still get a bit of the sense I'm listening with plastic housings, particularly noticeable when I'm listening to voices.

Wood headphones so far tend to be my second favorite in this area, but that's because I like the added color, the way the wood resonates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back