Pads for Grados: A Comparison
Apr 5, 2003 at 12:08 AM Post #31 of 74
Quote:

That looks pretty good. If not for the reflections from the flash on to the pads they would actually look like stock pads. Well done!

One tip on avoiding the 'burrs' on the hole mod... press down real hard on the coin (or template) & don't lift off the blade when cutting around it. It really helps to have a brand new razor sharp blade.

Apr 5, 2003 at 7:12 PM Post #32 of 74
I want these pads too! Any online stores that ship to the US (senn.ca is out of service) and the US site doesn't ship outside of the US. I might try calling the local store that sells senn's and see if they still have any.

Apr 5, 2003 at 7:30 PM Post #33 of 74
Great insight but I noticed that Grado has used more than one stock bowl. If you bought a headphone that uses the bowl pad and was released from Grado within the last month (I don’t know exactly when the change took place), the material is several degrees softer and less rough than the bowls used directly before then.

On owning both stock bowl pads, I can tell you that the comfort increase from their most recent change is considerable.

Apr 5, 2003 at 9:06 PM Post #34 of 74
What kind of dye do you guys use on the senn pads? The info'll be much appreciated, thanks
biggrin.gif

Apr 5, 2003 at 9:46 PM Post #35 of 74
I just got my Senn HDH414 pads in the mail today.
biggrin.gif

Listening now, it's nice.

Did I read this right, that the Senn pad hole mod works well on the SR60s? I bought three pairs of pads, so I imagine I'll try it in any event. But I wondered if anyone had any experience and comments with HD414 pads on the SR60s with and without that hole mod.
smily_headphones1.gif

[Edit: Quarter hole mod completed! Awesome! Thanks to Zanth for the idea and to Hirsch for showing me the completed mod some weeks ago.... BTY, Hirsch's RS1s with the modded Senn pads sounded *amazing*.]

Quote:

Originally posted by Zanth

[size=small]Sennheiser 19545's[/size]:

Cutting a quarter sized hole, which stretches to about the size of a silver dollar, really does well for the overall sound. The sound expands out more, correcting the flaw in the soundstage. The bass is less boomy, and the highs are sweet and well extended. The characteristic resonance at 3kHz is a bit more pronounced which I attribute to the fact that the driver is actually closer to the ear than with the flats. Otherwise they sound damn good.
I found they really made the SR-60's sing, taking care of some of the top end shrills as well as controlling the bottom end, which was overly plump before.

Apr 6, 2003 at 3:29 AM Post #36 of 74
Can somebody who makes an order for the Senn. pads buy a pair for me as well? I have some old-school Joe Grado SR-200's that need some Sennheiser lovin'.

I'd do it myself, but no-one online ships to Australia.
frown.gif

It goes without saying that I will reimburse the person via Paypal.
smily_headphones1.gif

Shoot me a PM if you can help me out.

Apr 6, 2003 at 6:47 AM Post #38 of 74
maybe I should just buy a ton of the Senn pads and dye and cut them. Seems something that head-fi'ers need, especially the international ones...

Apr 6, 2003 at 12:15 PM Post #40 of 74
austonia are you serious about it? It would help us internationals a lot and you should definitely make some profit for your costs and services. I'll order a pair or two.

Apr 6, 2003 at 3:28 PM Post #41 of 74
Quote:

Originally posted by Steve999
Thanks to Zanth for the idea and to Hirsch for showing me the completed mod some weeks ago

IIRC, credit for originally posting this mod should go to sacd lover.

Apr 6, 2003 at 6:27 PM Post #42 of 74
Hirsch is right...not me...I just used what info I found on the boards and then wrote up a comparison to bring that info all together.

Apr 7, 2003 at 2:59 AM Post #43 of 74
http://www.noralenterprises.com/

If you have a municipal airport that also has a flight training school, chances are that it has a pilot's store in the main terminal building.

Glendale, AZ has such an airport.

And you might be interested to know that there's a company called Noral Enterprises that makes "Ear Seal Cloth Covers". (I saw at least two sizes). I paid $5.95 for a size "8" pad cover. I picked sky blue, though it comes in many sizes.

And guess what? It fits the Grado pad perfectly.
biggrin.gif

I'm trying to decide to if I want to cut a quarter size hole in the centre.

btw, Noral makes some really nice Aviator headset cases
wink.gif
Less than $20 for a nice leather case.

So if you live in Phoenix, take a sidetrip to the Glendale Municipal Airport or check the above site. Otherwise, see if your local Pilot School Store has the Noral Earpad covers.

Apr 8, 2003 at 11:33 PM Post #44 of 74
How are these pads working out for you? I see that they ship international, but what is the acoustic quality of these? Similar to the senn's or the grado comfies? If you have any pics that'd be great (The ones on the site aren't that great).

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back