Pads for Grados: A Comparison
Sep 10, 2003 at 6:25 AM Post #61 of 74
Yes. Yes. And they're more comfortable.

For all those receiving 225's soon, this thread is a good read.

Jun 29, 2004 at 4:27 PM Post #63 of 74
what kind of dye was used?

what type of polymer are the pads made of?

the dye ruboff may be solved by using a dye fixative

would it be possible for someone to measure the dimensions of the original flats ....... it may be possible to take it into autocad and have them water jet or laser cut out of a different type of foam such as

PVC, Neoprene, EPDM, Polyethylene, EVA

i've never seen any in person but to me it appears that the original flats are identical on both sides (ear side and headphone side) and are simply a regular foam pad cut in a circle with the outside edges slightly rounded for looks... on the inside it is a simple round hole with the slits and the hole does not taper at all.....

i don't know too much about headphone foam but it is just there for comfort and to create a space between your ears and the headphone drivers right?

where can i find out more about the effect of the shape of the cavity on the sound?

what would be the effect of memory foam/ visco-elastic for the pads? as far as comfort i imagine they would be absolutely awesome, but what would be the acoustic effects......

if there is an acoustic effect could a hybrid pad be made where the center area is made from a foam ideal for acoustics but the outer foam be made for comfort like memory foam and then just glue the two together

brands of memory foam - temperpedic, isotonic, viscolux

would cellular acoustic soundproofing foam be good in such a hybrid design? i.e. keep out foreign noises better... i know it can't be in the middle or it would dampen the bass

if we can figure this out maybe we can find a manufacturer to make super comfie flats for our grados.....

what do you guys think?

Nov 6, 2006 at 8:58 AM Post #65 of 74
I have just taken the plunge and put my new 414pads onto my SR60.

All I can say is wow!

This £3 mod has taken the SR60 from a headphone that sat in the drawer and never got used to one that I will keep on my desk constantly. The resolution seems to have taken a big step up. The fatigue that I call 'Grado Ear' has gone (this is where my ear feels plugged and dull after listening). The fit is more solid, but the sound.......I gave them a good test against my 580 and I think I have seen for the first time what others refer to as the sennheiser 'veil' (I don't dislike it, but I at least recognise it)

Now, I have not cut a hole. With the SR60 I don't think I should to keep the higher frequencies under control. Any input here?

I cannot believe how sensitive to pads these headphones are and I am now inspired to improve them further.
1) Recable? Since the SR80 is a recabled SR60 could I improve things here?
2) Remove the SR60 button? Does this help open the back, or ruin things?
3) Bluetack inside the enclosure? (on the back of the driver)
4) Cosmetics, sanding off the silver writing to modernise them, painting the back grille yellow to match the pads.

Oh, only trouble is I now want a pricier grado to add to my collection.
Damn you HeadFi!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 6, 2006 at 7:15 PM Post #66 of 74
Instead of recabling SR60's just move up the line. You will experience a larger benefit/cost ratio this way I would think, that is, unless you require the 1/8" plug.

Pads really do make a big difference, so much so that, although the house sound remains, the overall presentation of certain frequencies and sonic goodies is transformed, be it for better or for worse. That said, before dropping a phone, experimenting a bit might encourage someone to hold onto said item. Though Grados are the subject matter at hand, I'm sure this rings true for other phones as well.

If you like the highs the way they are, don't cust the hole. The hole will add clarity to the highs, opening up the sound and providing more air, but it also means, more highs get through...and if you are loving the sound now, why mess with something that likely will cause you grief?

Nov 6, 2006 at 8:13 PM Post #67 of 74
Top marks for highs and soundstage on flats?! Am I the only one thinking the flats ruin the highs and make the sound narrower? I used to enjoy switching from flat to bowls depending on the genre on my MS2s last year. With the GS1000 I have now, the flats are intollerable even with hiphop.

Nov 7, 2006 at 1:40 AM Post #68 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by DRSpeed85
Top marks for highs and soundstage on flats?! Am I the only one thinking the flats ruin the highs and make the sound narrower? I used to enjoy switching from flat to bowls depending on the genre on my MS2s last year. With the GS1000 I have now, the flats are intollerable even with hiphop.

i have recently been toying around more with the bowls because i feel as though the flats are too boomy in the bass area. i've been loving the k501 sound, which is tight and detailed with really good soundstage. the bowls give a more k501-like sound, but with better midrange and better bass, IMO. i do love how female vocals sound with flats, but i may go back to bowls, especially b/c the da100/gs-1 combo i have now provides plenty of bass.

Nov 7, 2006 at 4:20 PM Post #69 of 74
You really do hate bowls Zanth, do you.
icon10.gif

For me, the bowls also sit circumaularly, but they sound great. Highs are very aggressive, i admit, but this is first time i heard someone saying bass boomier with bowls! For my ears, it changes the bass as very tight and fast slap, at the cost of extension. I also have flats, which i only use with recordings that have been produced to sound too shrill. I avoid them for casual listening as the bass is too boomy for my liking, while extension and strenght is very welcome for some music.
Also the soundstage is totally killed and compressed with Flats. Its funny how much ears differ from other. Grados are extremely pad dependant. Mr.Grado should pack a set of different pads with their headphones...
icon10.gif

I also have C-Beta circumaular pads without peg holes, and those really sound bad. They turn my Grados to sennheisers, warm and soothing... boring...
tongue.gif

Gotta try the HD414 pads sometime.

Nov 8, 2006 at 3:02 AM Post #70 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa
You really do hate bowls Zanth, do you.
icon10.gif

Nope, not at all. I merely like them on the phones that were designed with them.

RS-1's + flats (makes sense, these were designed with flats)
PS-1's + bowls (ditto from above but with bowls)
GS-1000's + superbowls (ditto again)

Nov 8, 2006 at 4:09 AM Post #71 of 74
Much thanks for the post, I was actually thinking of trying out different pads for my RS1.

BTW, are 19545 and 414 pads the same thing? I tried going on the site to order a pair, but it seems to be offline.

Hmm... time to put up a WTB for flats.
icon10.gif

Nov 8, 2006 at 5:21 AM Post #72 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gnus
BTW, are 19545 and 414 pads the same thing? I tried going on the site to order a pair, but it seems to be offline. :

Yes, they are one and the same. The pads are/were for the Senn 414 'phones, and they are Sennheiser part # 19545.

Nov 8, 2006 at 8:22 AM Post #73 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
Nope, not at all. I merely like them on the phones that were designed with them.

RS-1's + flats (makes sense, these were designed with flats)
PS-1's + bowls (ditto from above but with bowls)
GS-1000's + superbowls (ditto again)

i agree...i like hf-1s with bowls...flats make them too bass-bloated and congested...while i love the sr200 with flats. once in awhile it's good to trust the guys who make these things
wink.gif

Nov 8, 2006 at 8:48 AM Post #74 of 74
Quote:

Instead of recabling SR60's just move up the line. You will experience a larger benefit/cost ratio this way I would think, that is, unless you require the 1/8" plug.

If only the Grados were afforable in these parts. The SR60 is in a window down the road for £90 ($170?). I need a reliable upright US citizen to 'gift' me a pair

Quote:

If you like the highs the way they are, don't cust the hole. The hole will add clarity to the highs, opening up the sound and providing more air, but it also means, more highs get through...and if you are loving the sound now, why mess with something that likely will cause you grief?

Yes, but you never know until you try. I need some more pads to try a hole, and some dye and maybe some latex paint (around the back and the sides to make them black)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back