Pads for Grados: A Comparison
Dec 30, 2002 at 3:18 AM Post #16 of 74
Somebody at Sennheiser Parts Dept. has got to be wondering why there's a sudden run on pads for the discontinued HD-414
wink.gif

Dec 30, 2002 at 3:38 AM Post #17 of 74
Quote:

Originally posted by joelongwood
Simple.....take off bowl pads and put them on backwards.

Thought so...but one never knows. I thought maybe it might involve virgin Tibetan yak excrement or some such. I didn't want to assume.

Dec 30, 2002 at 4:48 PM Post #19 of 74
i have a slightly different approach to making my Grado 80s sound and feel better. I took the thin foam coverings (silver-dollar size) off a pair of cheapy behind-the-neck type earphones. then i took the bowl pads off my grados, then stretched the thin foamy pads on, then put the bowl pads back on over them (facing normally). this slightly stretches the bowl pads and makes a more comfortable fit. no more rubbing against that center grill. also it slighty tames the highs and slighty expands the lows.

Dec 30, 2002 at 7:56 PM Post #20 of 74
Quote:

Originally posted by cjc
The stock pads on my SR60's were never comfy and didn't last too long. I replaced them with a pair of $3.00 pads from RADIO SHACK (Part # 33-379). These are flat AND comfy.

Just got back from local Ratshack store and tried them out. So far I would say I'm satisfied with these pads. They make my 325 sound totally different, more full bodied and warm. I'm not sure if it's too warm. I think I'll try cutting out quarter size in the middle. But for the look, they're just too small, at least for 325, so I look quite ugly with them on (w/o phones I'm ugly enough
rolleyes.gif
)

John

Apr 4, 2003 at 9:06 PM Post #21 of 74
Zanth:
I am resurfacing this old thread to say THANK YOU for the tip about the modded Sennheiser pads, ala Grado.

I got my MS Pros a few weeks ago from a fellow Head-fier with the standard bowl pads. While I had ordered (and received) the Sennheiser pads before I took possession of the MS Pros, I elected to use the bowl pads for a few weeks as a reference point. Today, I switched to the modded Senns. What a difference. Quality sound and comfort in one fell swoop.

Grado owners, do yourself a favor and order the Senn pads (unless you have the original Grado flats, of course). You will be happier for it.

Apr 4, 2003 at 9:14 PM Post #22 of 74
Hey no problem! I wish they came in black...but it is easy enough to dye them. Honestly, the bowls suck. The senns and flats are the way to go. I hope everyone with grados buys the senns as a cheap mod before selling them off for something with a different sound.

Apr 4, 2003 at 9:55 PM Post #25 of 74
Great comments everyone. Ordered a couple pairs of 19545's for the RS-80's that are on the way.

I know this is extremely basic, but do you have any suggestions for making a clean perfect circular cut in the pads?

Thanks,
Ric

Apr 4, 2003 at 10:02 PM Post #26 of 74
Wow, this thread has sparked my interest in grados again. After writing them off, I know realize I listened to them with the bowl pads. The highs were just too much!
frown.gif
Maybe its time to order some sr60s and senn pads. . .

Apr 4, 2003 at 10:07 PM Post #27 of 74
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
Wow, this thread has sparked my interest in grados again. After writing them off, I know realize I listened to them with the bowl pads. The highs were just too much!
frown.gif
Maybe its time to order some sr60s and senn pads. . .

One word: Grato
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 4, 2003 at 11:20 PM Post #30 of 74
hey, notorious,

i saw your rs-1's at the toronto meet. you had reversed and flattened the bowl pads right? now, i remember trying them on, and basically having the driver right up against my ear, making contact with it. is this right?

when i do this with my 325's, i notice the sound becomes alot more aggressive, not laid back as people say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back