Out Of Your Head - new virtual surround simulator
Feb 6, 2018 at 4:42 AM Post #991 of 1,284
Hey Darin,

I have been trying out OOYH for couple of days now and I gotta say it's very potential. I found couple of presets that work fairly well. Acoustic Zen and Magico Q3 offer quite good soundstage for music and PBN is very good. With PBN the sounds come from a lot further away in front of me compared to other presets. However I get big colorations to the sound signatures, many of the presets have almost no sub-bass and even mid-bass might be significantly reduced. For example the gamer preset have -10dB to -20dB for the bass and below 46Hz I get nothing on my Hifiman HE-400S. I don't think the reason for these colorations and bass reductions could be the algorithm or microphones because people with personal measurements have very hard time distinguishing between speakers and OOYH. Also it cannot possibly be the systems, or what kind of 7.1 system cannot produce frequencies below 46Hz. Then some presets make the sub-bass very weird, as if they are shifting energy from very low frequencies to higher. Listening to Trentemøller - Chameleon with certain presets I get no sub-bass rumble but all the sounds that are in the sub-bass region in that song are very well audible. I guess it must be that HRTF makes that much of a difference even for bass, right?

Surround material is a lot easier for OOYH (or rather my brain). Many presets get speakers in very clear and sharp locations in surround while failing miserably with stereo. For example Mi Casa Studio moves almost all the sounds behind my right ear when listening to stereo but renders all speakers very clearly and in correct height when playing surround source material. It's quite interesting to find that stereo vs surround makes that big difference. With surround even gamer preset can place the sounds fairly accurately around me although not tremendously far. Acoustic zen has about the same localisation but doesn't miss bass. PBN is very far but has the same bass issues as gamer preset. This makes my decision difficult, should I pay for the full licence to get better bass with Acoustic Zen or better localisation with PBN, or should I just cheap out and get the gamer version. Only if I could get spatials of PBN and bass of Acoustic Zen, I would by the full licence in a heartbeat.

I really think this is the future of audio and I think every gamer should be at least conscious of OOYH, whether they find gamer preset matching or not is another story. I think it would really help people (and sales) if there were a lot of people measured for the gamer preset. Speaker virtualization is the main value proposition of this software after all and if that doesn't work because HRTF doesn't match it's not very useful. Gaming market is so much bigger than audiophile market that you could be making a lot of more money focusing on gamers rather than audiophiles.

I'm thinking of organizing a measurement session in Finland. There's couple of movie mixing studios in Helsinki that might be willing to rent their mixing room for an hour or two. Gather a few people to be measured at the same time and studio rent costs would be very manageable. I just need to find somebody with Realizer A8 here in Finland. It would be so much more convenient if Fong audio had partners all over the globe who would offer measurements as a service. Studios could be good candidates since they shouldn't have a lot of commercial reasons not to allow people there getting measurements, unlike Hifi shops do have. Something you should maybe consider...

Thanks for awesome software but please do sell it more. It pains my heart that more people don't know about this.

By the way people have been asking about decoding Dolby Atmos. I can confirm that MPC-HC can decode Atmos and works really well with OOYH. Tested with Dobly Atmos test track here.

Mpc hc can decode atmos?

Feb 6, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #992 of 1,284
It really seems so. Playing the Dolby TrueHD Atmos test tracks available in demo-world site have no issues with MPC-HC. I even confirmed that I had the Dolby TrueHD audio track selected. VLC on the other hand cannot play the audio nicely. There is a VLC developer confirming this on VideoLAN Forums. You can test it yourself, install MPC-HC and download couple of Dobly atmos test tracks.

Feb 6, 2018 at 11:10 AM Post #993 of 1,284
Mpc hc can bitstream atmos to an avr that can decode but i dont believe it can decode atmos and output pcm to ooyh

I believe Ircam Hear can decode atmos, not sure how you send the audio to it though, maybe as vst in jriver it intercepts the bitstream? /shrug

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #994 of 1,284
I don't know about AVRs, I only have Windows PC, OOYH and ODAC+O2 to my headphones. So no hardware to decode the atmos. OOYH is playing very nicely with Atmos test tracks. All input channels are activating and I'm hearing very good surround effect.

I also got the bass fixed for PBN and Gamer presets with Equalizer APO. This looking very well worth the full licence.

Feb 6, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #995 of 1,284
I don't know about AVRs, I only have Windows PC, OOYH and ODAC+O2 to my headphones. So no hardware to decode the atmos. OOYH is playing very nicely with Atmos test tracks. All input channels are activating and I'm hearing very good surround effect.

I also got the bass fixed for PBN and Gamer presets with Equalizer APO. This looking very well worth the full licence.

Ok, ya thats just the truehd base track, theres not any atmos object data that you're hearing. However, "The Encounter" atmos demo does sound like it goes overhead in the first front left to rear right pan its pretty neat.

I agree ooyh is well worth the $150 if one of the presets HRTFs work well with you. Ive tried every surround virtualization and nothing comes close to ooyh. I also went through every preset and noted which ones didnt properly render certain frequencies for me(i.e. missing sub bass, missing bass guitar, missing snare drum, etc.). For me the genelec room worked perfectly.

Instead of using equalizer apo i put a dual 31 band graphic analog eq in line between my dac and amp and it flattens out my audeze el8 very well. I also split the line out from the dac to an art crossover to use with bass shakers, which really helps with the immersion.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2018 at 3:30 PM Post #996 of 1,284
Anyone tried this for gaming or is it strictly for movies and music?

Feb 6, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #997 of 1,284
Anyone tried this for gaming or is it strictly for movies and music?
I've used it for gaming it's excellent. It does require some hardware for fidelity though. The gamer preset has a 1 week trial and is only $25 so try it out. Im using a 4770k any increased latency was unnoticeable

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2018 at 8:47 PM Post #998 of 1,284
OOYH is better than CS:GO's built-in HRTF stereo DSP or Razer's Surround Sound.

Counterstrike: Global Offensive's HRTF sounds like a Boston Cream Donut, and OOYH's gaming preset sounds like a Chocolate Dip Donut. You get more chocolate detail surrounding the donut with the OOYH, but you also don't have the creamy filling that messes up the sweet goodness of the chocolate. Both of which taste better with a good coffee, I mean, sound good with a good headphone.

Feb 7, 2018 at 2:12 AM Post #999 of 1,284
OOYH is better than CS:GO's built-in HRTF stereo DSP or Razer's Surround Sound.

Counterstrike: Global Offensive's HRTF sounds like a Boston Cream Donut, and OOYH's gaming preset sounds like a Chocolate Dip Donut. You get more chocolate detail surrounding the donut with the OOYH, but you also don't have the creamy filling that messes up the sweet goodness of the chocolate. Both of which taste better with a good coffee, I mean, sound good with a good headphone.

Best ive read in months haha :) It is amazing. I tried it out several times and compared it to Razer Surround, Dolby Headphone and more. Its alot more detailed and the sound is very clean. Best ive heard so far.

Feb 7, 2018 at 4:13 AM Post #1,000 of 1,284
I tried it out yesterday in Fortnite. The effect was amazing even though the gamer preset is not the best for me. FPS gaming is by far the best use case for me. Also tried Witcher 3, that didn't work quite as well, the sounds seemed to be coming from weird locations.

Apr 8, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #1,002 of 1,284
Hi Darin,

Are you still actively developing OOYH? I noticed that you last updated the app almost a year ago...
If yes, can you hint what are you working on? (Android app?, more than 7.1 channels with Atmos support?, etc.)

Thanks
Hi @laserjet6 ,
Thanks for posting.

Yes! We are always in development with various things.
To be honest, most of our development time is keeping up with changes in macOS and Windows. It's sad to say that we have been working on rewriting our engine just to mitigate changes in the audio systems of macOS and Windows. THen everytime we think we're close, more changes come down the line and we have to redo a lot of the work we've already done. It's been quite frustrating.
On other fronts, we have been working on a version for mobile devices for a long time now and still don't have anything ready. Likewise, we are also working on supporting more than 8 channels. That's an obvious direction to go.
We are a small company, just me and a programmer, so we don't have the resources to hire a big development staff and get this all done quickly. I wish we could, but I also didn't want to go the route of crowd funding for many reasons. It seems that even raising tons of cash is no guarantee of success.

But, we are still here plugging away... I know it's been a long time since we've released an update. Sorry about that, but we are trying the best we can and I still think Out Of Your Head in its current release still holds up when compared to other options available.

BTW, we are having a CanJam SoCal show special now too if you want to buy a copy for 50% off...

Thanks,
-Darin

Apr 8, 2018 at 10:25 PM Post #1,003 of 1,284
Hi @laserjet6 ,
Thanks for posting.

Yes! We are always in development with various things.
snipz...

But, we are still here plugging away... I know it's been a long time since we've released an update. Sorry about that, but we are trying the best we can and I still think Out Of Your Head in its current release still holds up when compared to other options available.

BTW, we are having a CanJam SoCal show special now too if you want to buy a copy for 50% off...

Thanks,
-Darin

Can you say Crater Update?? :astonished:

Low kiloton yield, and yet...

Yes, everyone - it is time to grab some serious Out of Your Head experience, at half price none the less!! Buy a gaming addin, and give the code to a friend, and they can play the whole thing (kinda) for just $12.50. Take some samples for yourself (maybe some B&W?), and just try to avoid the fentanil...

Darin maybe should be circumspect, but I don't see any problem shilling for something I think is easily worth the price of admission, and then some - even at regular price. The sale goes to the end of 12 April...

Apr 9, 2018 at 12:45 AM Post #1,004 of 1,284
Buy a gaming addin, and give the code to a friend, and they can play the whole thing (kinda) for just $12.50. Take some samples for yourself (maybe some B&W?), and just try to avoid the fentanil....

I sold my B&Ws last weekend, so this is the only way you’ll be able to hear them :wink:

@darinf i have some new speakers for you...give me a couple more weeks to dial them in

Users who are viewing this thread

Back