Ortofon EQ7: BA driver at HEART, DYNAMIC driver in SPIRIT
Feb 27, 2011 at 1:50 AM Post #17 of 26
Quote:
In fact, if people didn't know anything about the driver, I don't think anyone would really say anything about "having some properties of a dynamic".

Well, this one is hard to contradict, because people already know about moving armatures now. But here are two quotes from my early e-Q7 review back then when no specifics were known about their driver, except that they were said to be based on large balanced armatures.

Quote:
james444 said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Markus Schulz - Mainstage / I am (Trance, kudos to shigzeo!)
e-Q7:
Now, this is a surprise! Never heard such nice low bass rumble from a BA phone before, it almost sounds like a dynamic driver IEM (must be the large size of the armature). Overall bass is very controlled with good punch, but there are harder hitting phones out there. Very relaxed sound with excellent imaging and spacey feeling. e-Q7 is a master in sounding effortlessly.

Quote:
james444 said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Was this meant as a response to my statement "I think that most BA phones cannot render the lower frequency vibrations of strings accurately"? If so, please let my explain my point: it's not that I think BA don't have good bass, I've heard several BA IEMs (SE530, CK100, SF5, e-Q7) that I think have good bass quality and quantity. And - sorry to contradict you - on a low frequency sweep I can hear/feel my SE530 down to 15Hz. My reservations about BA and classical is about something else. With low frequency vibrato (e.g. cello) I can hear the tone but the vibrato is poorly reproduced in BA phones. Maybe it's because compared to dynamic drivers less air is being moved, I don't know. But I'm certain this is not how strings sound to me when I hear them live. Thankfully the e-Q7, despite being BA, does strings a whole lot better. Perhaps a larger armature driver means more air movement? I don't know, I'm no technician.

It's worth mentioning that I had also posted listening notes about the Soundmagic PL50 before reviewing the e-Q7. Despite the fact that the PL50 also feature large Siren armature drivers I found no similarities to dynamics. So I believe that I wasn't just speculating based on the Ortofon's driver size, but this is how I actually heard them.

Feb 27, 2011 at 2:04 AM Post #19 of 26
Interesting review.

p.s. I like your username. lol

Feb 27, 2011 at 9:13 AM Post #23 of 26

Quote:
Well, this one is hard to contradict, because people already know about moving armatures now. But here are two quotes from my early e-Q7 review back then when no specifics were known about their driver, except that they were said to be based on large balanced armatures.

It's worth mentioning that I had also posted listening notes about the Soundmagic PL50 before reviewing the e-Q7. Despite the fact that the PL50 also feature large Siren armature drivers I found no similarities to dynamics. So I believe that I wasn't just speculating based on the Ortofon's driver size, but this is how I actually heard them.

It may be because it has a suspended diaphram with no leakage to the back wave same as a dynamic. There's really not that much to differentiate it other than the motor is more like a moving iron instead of moving coil. By definition, a BA moves as much air as a dynamic to make the same note at the same amplitude but it's not sealed against the cancelling backwave. Maybe this is part or it's something else. PL-50s also have nice round bass from their sealed diaphram if vented even though it's driven by a standard BA and lever. I just think they're overdamped as used and lack some texture just because they do and probably not inherent to the design.

Feb 27, 2011 at 11:01 AM Post #24 of 26
@james, well, you've got me there! However, I heard the e-q7 and then listened to the ck10 and the monster turbine pro line and there was really no comparison--the ortos sounded much more like the ck10. What I mean is that that it sounded like a similar type of sound with a different tuning, more mid centric, slightly more bass--but not much more, less treble energy, while the monsters really did something different, particularly in the bass energy dept. I think that's a big part of why I have the opinion that I do. I mean, the ck10 and the Miles Davis are sorta at different ends of the spectrum, so it was interesting to see where the e-q7 fell on that. If I had been used to mostly ba iems, then maybe I'd say it was "like a dynamic".

Feb 27, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #25 of 26
Quote:
 It may be because it has a suspended diaphram with no leakage to the back wave same as a dynamic. There's really not that much to differentiate it other than the motor is more like a moving iron instead of moving coil. By definition, a BA moves as much air as a dynamic to make the same note at the same amplitude but it's not sealed against the cancelling backwave. Maybe this is part or it's something else. PL-50s also have nice round bass from their sealed diaphram if vented even though it's driven by a standard BA and lever. I just think they're overdamped as used and lack some texture just because they do and probably not inherent to the design.

Thanks goodvibes, that's quite interesting and informative, since I'm completely lacking the technical background knowledge of pros like you.

Quote:
If I had been used to mostly ba iems, then maybe I'd say it was "like a dynamic".

I think you're spot-on with this conclusion. Of course the e-Q7 sound nothing like the Monsters or Atrios.

Feb 28, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #26 of 26
Well, Joker also said in his massive review thread "If blindfolded and given the e-Q7 for the first time, I would have attributed the sound to a dynamic driver, albeit a very clean and precise one."

But yeah Joker's favorite IEMs are mostly BAs from what I've seen so maybe you're right Kunlun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back