Ortofon e-Q5 Impressions Thread
Nov 20, 2010 at 9:40 AM Post #91 of 1,026
I think we should qualify the same driver statements. Same size and type, yes.
bigsmile_face.gif
The Grados taper where the tragus would press against cylindrical units of similar overall diameter if your unlucky about the fit and the gr10 is clearly a different driver than the GR8. Grado claims it's specifics are proprietary and I see no reason to doubt them. I recall KEF made 3 or 4 differend B200 8" woofers in the 70s that all had similar materials and #s but obviously weren't the same. Same supplier is very different from same unit. In this case Grado even claims different materials.

Fit and sound preferences will always be personal. I haven't heard an Orto so I certainly can't compare but I think Joker and Rawrster will have heard both in the next month or so. The E-Q5 looks like a real value winner and I think the fit would probably be fine for most, especially cable up.
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 22, 2010 at 2:45 AM Post #92 of 1,026
Just wondering about the ear buds. They look like anodised aluminium. If I put a pair into my pocket, do you think they'll scratch the paint off each other? I was thinking of getting a black pair, but might go for silver if this could be a problem.

Nov 23, 2010 at 9:04 AM Post #95 of 1,026
I have seen paint coming off of red e-Q7s in a couple of cases now.

Nov 23, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #97 of 1,026
James you pushed me over the edge! Just ordered them from Dimitri, have been itching for the e-q7, when I saw almost the same thing for $120 cheaper I just had to do it. Thats the Panasonic HJE900, the Fischer Audio Silver Bullet and now the Ortofon e-q5 in less than a month 
eek.gif
 Monster Miles Davis too if I throw in my moms gift 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
^ You're right it's possible, but I'm pretty sure the driver is sealed against the back of the housing, so I'm pretty confident this won't actually become an issue.

Short summary of my first week with the e-Q5:
I've been using them mostly for commuting and while lying down in bed and overall they've passed the test with flying colours. Wearing the e-Q5 downwards in bed is a breeze, just stick them in and you can comfortably lie on the side with them. Wearing them over-ear while out and about takes a bit of practice, but after a few days becomes equally effortless: stick them in downwards first, then slip the cables over your ears in one swift move - and you're done.

Speaking of the cable, it's without a doubt the best I've seen on MAs so far (shame on you Final Audio), very flexible and it stays that way even in colder weather. Tangling is no big issue, neither is microphonics if you wear it over-ear. Isolation is entirely satisfactory for my needs, slightly better than with the e-Q7 and noticably better than with any of the FADs. I had no problem at all while listening to music during my daily subway rides and ambient noise was kept at a perfectly tolerable level.

Favourable impressions continue as far as audio quality is concerned, to my ears these are extremely good and refined sounding IEMs with jaw dropping transparency. Compared to the e-Q7 (which are still among my very favourite phones) there are much more similarities than differences. If anything the e-Q5 are a tiny bit less mid centric with slightly more highs, but don't expect significant changes vs. the e-Q7. Sibilance is again no issue with the new Ortofon model, the FAD SB and SS are noticably more touchy in this regard. When I got the e-Q7 a year ago it had by far the best bass quality I'd heard and one year later with the e-Q5 nothing much has changed. There are many IEMs (mostly DDs) that hit harder and many (mostly BAs) that are faster, but IMO the combination of both bass precision and texture in MAs is unrivalled.

Of course not everything is perfect with the e-Q5, but so far all I can think of are minor complaints: a chin slider would have been handy, a shirt clip a nice gesture and I would have preferred an L-shaped plug. Oh and there's no case included - no big deal for me, but most likely an annoyance for some.

I hope I'll have the time soon to do these little beauties justice and add them to my moving armature shootout, but let me just say as a preliminary conclusion that the e-Q5 are winners in my book and worth a wholehearted recommendation. As for the price/performance ratio, of course you won't find any bang-for-buck blockbusters at the $250 level, but nevertheless I've rarely seen such stellar design, great build quality and sonic excellence at a better price.
smile_phones.gif

Nov 23, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #99 of 1,026
Its not going  to go that high is it!?!?!
eek.gif

Quote:
Wait until you get into customs and start thinking $400 is a steal lol :p

Nov 23, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #100 of 1,026
You mean low. $400 is near the cheapest you would expect to spend on a pair of customs with some exceptions. Down the line when I get more money I plan on getting something closer to the top of the line customs. Maybe I'll fly to Austria to visit and rob James to afford something like that
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 23, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #101 of 1,026
Ooooohhhh customs hahaha I thought you meant border customs when the package comes into Canada 
biggrin.gif

Yea customs will probably be something I'll look into once I have full time job. Right now funding these IEM's through internship money!

Quote:
You mean low. $400 is near the cheapest you would expect to spend on a pair of customs with some exceptions. Down the line when I get more money I plan on getting something closer to the top of the line customs. Maybe I'll fly to Austria to visit and rob James to afford something like that
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 24, 2010 at 2:32 AM Post #102 of 1,026
Quote:
James you pushed me over the edge! Just ordered them from Dimitri, have been itching for the e-q7, when I saw almost the same thing for $120 cheaper I just had to do it. Thats the Panasonic HJE900, the Fischer Audio Silver Bullet and now the Ortofon e-q5 in less than a month 
eek.gif
 Monster Miles Davis too if I throw in my moms gift 
biggrin.gif

Congrats Daanish, I'm pretty sure you'll like them, looking forward to your impressions!
BTW what would you do if your mom preferred the e-Q5 over the MDs?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:
evil_smiley.gif

I'm kinda grateful that the customs route appears closed to me. So far I haven't been wowed by any multi-BA universals I've heard. So as long as there are no DD or MA single driver customs, I won't have to rob anyone.

Nov 24, 2010 at 10:03 AM Post #103 of 1,026
I'm 99% sure I will! I love the sound of the HJE900's and I've heard the e-q7's be described as an upgraded HJE with more balance and no sibilance, and I'm guessing the e-q5 will be similar

Ha! I'll hide them from her 
ph34r.gif
 But having received and listened to the MMD's yesterday, I think she will love them, it is perfect for the music she listens too, the emphasis on the mids make the vocals really beautiful

Can't wait for these to arrive, how long does it take from Japan!?!
blink.gif

Quote:
Congrats Daanish, I'm pretty sure you'll like them, looking forward to your impressions!
BTW what would you do if your mom preferred the e-Q5 over the MDs?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 24, 2010 at 11:58 AM Post #105 of 1,026
Daanish, e-Q7 and HJE900 sound quite different actually but both being different. There are some similarities but they are more different than similar

@james, just wait. It shouldn't take long for single dynamic customs to appear since there are multi driver ba/dynamic customs out already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back