Ortofon e-Q5 Impressions Thread
Nov 3, 2010 at 3:33 AM Post #16 of 1,026
Quote:
  I am considering getting either the eq-5 or the A1, so a detailed comparison between the two would help me decide. Which has the better instrument tonality, realistic decay and reverb? What about detail and treble? How do they compare in frequency response, dynamic range and soundstage? Which is flatter and which is more balanced? And last but not least, which has the better midrange?  

thanks in advance !

Like I said, from the pics I'm not too fond of their design as far as ergonomics are concerned, but it seems like I might get the chance to add them to my Moving Armature Shootout. Stay tuned!

Nov 8, 2010 at 11:12 AM Post #22 of 1,026
Black and red confirmed to be on the way this Friday! Haven't had a chance to compare these to the e-Q7s yet, but of note, they are almost exactly the same size. No improvements on that front.

Nov 10, 2010 at 6:44 AM Post #24 of 1,026
^ Hasn't your question already been answered in the preceding post?
confused.gif

Nov 10, 2010 at 12:30 PM Post #25 of 1,026
Wow, exciting. I strangely really really like the design... I get a feeling they'll sound exactly the same as the e-Q7 though.

Then again, wouldn't it be pointless to for Ortofon to create an identical headphone of different styling? I dunno...

Nov 10, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #27 of 1,026

Quote:
Oh whoops, how'd I miss that?
redface.gif

Hmm, so almost the same size? Are they a little smaller or bigger?

Yep, by the looks of it, they're exactly the same size as the front of the e-Q7, but they don't taper off toward the back.

Nov 10, 2010 at 10:18 PM Post #28 of 1,026
Just noticed, but no nice case like the e-Q7s have. That's too bad. And the price difference between the models is only about 2000 yen at this point. Ignoring the marketing talk for the moment, it will be very interesting to hear if these are really the same except for the ergonomics and the box.

Does anyone know if Ortofon is planning to make both models alongside each other? Or is the e-Q7 going to be phased out?

Nov 11, 2010 at 12:38 AM Post #29 of 1,026

Quote:
Just noticed, but no nice case like the e-Q7s have. That's too bad. And the price difference between the models is only about 2000 yen at this point. Ignoring the marketing talk for the moment, it will be very interesting to hear if these are really the same except for the ergonomics and the box.

Does anyone know if Ortofon is planning to make both models alongside each other? Or is the e-Q7 going to be phased out?

Price difference is 10,000 yen not 2,000
Here is e-Q7 SRP in bold
http://www.ortofon.jp/product/headphones/index.html

SRP for e-Q5 is 19,800 JPY. (I could not locate it on the official site but I read that on some Japanese site. I will look for the link and upgrade.

So e-Q5 is a budget version of e-Q7 I suppose.

Nov 11, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #30 of 1,026
Well, the e-Q7 is currently available through Joshin for 22800 yen--it used to be a little lower. The first price I saw for the e-Q5 was 20475, so that's the number I was using when I said 2000 yen. But now it seems like there are some places (one in Kanagawa, maybe Amazon.co.jp) listing it at 18400.

So the price difference on the street doesn't seem to be 2000 yen at the moment, but closer to 4500. I stand partially corrected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back