Ortofon e-Q5 Impressions Thread
Mar 17, 2011 at 1:46 AM Post #451 of 1,026
To anyone who like their e-Q5's sound signature, but are looking for IEMs that scale a bit better with louder volumes and/or amping, I can definitely recommend trying the FI-BA-A1. I've been listening to these more frequently during the last few weeks and for about the same price as the e-Q5 they really can hold their own against the Ortofons. I was initially very reluctant to recommend these, because their cables don't look trustworthy, but so far they show no sign of wear from real life use.

Overall the FI-BA-A1 are a worthwhile alternate choice with similar sound signature in the same price range, plus they're easier to fit than both the e-Q5 and e-Q7.
smile_phones.gif

Mar 17, 2011 at 3:57 AM Post #452 of 1,026

Quote:
To anyone who like their e-Q5's sound signature, but are looking for IEMs that scale a bit better with louder volumes and/or amping, I can definitely recommend trying the FI-BA-A1. I've been listening to these more frequently during the last few weeks and for about the same price as the e-Q5 they really can hold their own against the Ortofons. I was initially very reluctant to recommend these, because their cables don't look trustworthy, but so far they show no sign of wear from real life use.

Overall the FI-BA-A1 are a worthwhile alternate choice with similar sound signature in the same price range, plus they're easier to fit than both the e-Q5 and e-Q7.
smile_phones.gif

Wait, they scale better and sound better than the Ortofons or scale better and sound as good as?

Mar 17, 2011 at 4:13 AM Post #453 of 1,026
They sound as good as the Ortofons, but benefit more from amping (sound snappier). Plus they don't seem to suffer from that slightly strained sound at higher volumes that the e-Q5 and GR10 have been criticized for by some members lately. Both are actually non-issues for me in real life use, because I usually neither carry an amp nor listen at higher volume levels. But I tried it just to find out, and lo and behold the vented Final Audio BAs have a slight edge over the MAs in that regard.

Speaking of which, isolation is a bit worse on the FI-BA-A1 due to the fact that they're vented.

Mar 17, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #454 of 1,026
Quote:
Perhaps, but I'm not expecting any big changes from what I've got from reliable sources and the cable will probably be a deal breaker.

I'll note to future users that I can easily make them sound thin/analytical while it also seems that there's a seal. But these need a relatively deep insertion to get that full-sound, the sweetspot becomes apparent with time as the ear sort of pops them in inside. The only drawback is that it can become a tad fatiguing in the ear but I'm going to experiment with a cut sensorcom tip and klipsch oval tips.   

Well, I recommend that you try the e-Q7 anyway. I was the one who started an appreciation thread on them and really loved their sound. But I don't even recommend the e-Q5 as a good IEM. Huge difference for me. I honestly don't understand how anyone can like the e-Q5 more than the e-Q7. Even saying that they sound very similar is a stretch IMO. e-Q7 is a definite upgrade to these ears in richness/musicality. e-Q5 may have the rest of the technical specs, but it just doesn't have the same depth and power to the sound that e-Q7 has IMO.

Mar 17, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #455 of 1,026
So what are some good tips with these? I got them in the mail today and the stock tips seem good so far but I'd like to know what other people think of them.

As expected I'm not a fan of the way the over the ear fit is because of the way the cable is but it is not as bad as I expected. The fit from 5 minutes of them on seems good so far and from memory I'd say it is a tiny bit smaller in diameter than the e-Q7 which is what I needed since the e-Q7 was a tiny bit bigger so sometimes would cause soreness but I'll find out more about fit over the next couple of days.

Mar 17, 2011 at 1:12 PM Post #456 of 1,026

Quote:Pianist
Well, I recommend that you try the e-Q7 anyway. I was the one who started an appreciation thread on them and really loved their sound. But I don't even recommend the e-Q5 as a good IEM. Huge difference for me. I honestly don't understand how anyone can like the e-Q5 more than the e-Q7. Even saying that they sound very similar is a stretch IMO. e-Q7 is a definite upgrade to these ears in richness/musicality. e-Q5 may have the rest of the technical specs, but it just doesn't have the same depth and power to the sound that e-Q7 has IMO. Yes they are on my radar at the moment just because I'm curious but so are the A1s.  

@rawrster, the stock tips are very nice imo, these aren't to be fitted with just a shallow insertion  (meelec biflanges/UE single flanges don't work because of that, at least in my case). You have to do a relatively deep seal which the stock tips allow and klipsch oval tips also worked pretty with these.

Mar 17, 2011 at 2:09 PM Post #457 of 1,026
Quote:
The fit from 5 minutes of them on seems good so far and from memory I'd say it is a tiny bit smaller in diameter than the e-Q7 which is what I needed since the e-Q7 was a tiny bit bigger so sometimes would cause soreness but I'll find out more about fit over the next couple of days.

Nope, they are exactly the same diameter, but a bit shorter than the e-Q7.

Mar 17, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #459 of 1,026
Well, I've alread compared them pretty in-depth to the e-Q7, just click the e-Q5/7 link in my sig. The difference between e-Q5 and e-Q7 is referred to in post #2 of the same thread. In short, like most others who've heard both, I don't hear much difference. As for the A1, they are maybe the most balanced of the bunch in this comparison and a bit unexciting at first, but they have been growing on me ever since.

Mar 17, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #461 of 1,026
I would do it if I had them side by side now, but rawrster has my e-Q5 and I haven't listened to them for more than a week. I believe those listening notes are more valid than what I could say from memory.

Mar 17, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #462 of 1,026
Ah found it kind of odd that Rawrster had his hand on it since he seemed to be done with universals (except W4). Thanks for explanation, highly appreciated. 

Mar 17, 2011 at 3:36 PM Post #463 of 1,026

Quote:

Nope, they are exactly the same diameter, but a bit shorter than the e-Q7.

Maybe it is the length then. Whatever it is I do like the fit of the e-Q5 and also the cable esp from the Y split and down. It's not that nylon cable like the e-Q7 which I absolutely hated. I wish the cable from the split and up was a bit thicker as it makes the housings seem much heavier than it really is however I can't remember if it is the same thickness as the e-Q7. It's too bad they don't have a chin slider for these as it makes over the ear easier for me but that's a simple workaround. I'll have to find time for them later tonight but first impressions are pretty positive so far.

Mar 17, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #464 of 1,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's too bad they don't have a chin slider for these as it makes over the ear easier for me but that's a simple workaround.

I used to twist the upper cables a bit with these which seemed to do the trick.

Mar 17, 2011 at 4:10 PM Post #465 of 1,026
My workaround has already been done :) It's not the prettiest but it works for me. I just use some electrical tape and it acts like a chin slider similar to the one on the AT or the Shure earphones. I'll remove it before you get it back and you wouldn't even know it was there except if I told you :p

@Inks, I would still like a good universal especially in those situations where I would prefer a universal over a custom but not sure about the W4 yet. I do have a Brainwavz M2 but that isn't exactly in the same class as these earphones and I only use when I'm watching vids directly on my netbook w/o a dac/amp in between. Mike still has to send me back my W4 so I can listen to them finally as it's easier to send it to him first before I listen to it myself. One good universal and two customs seems like enough for now. The W4 was 100% impulse and it may one of those buy to try and I was tempted to do the same with the SM3 but decided against it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back