Ortho and Sound stage?
Jun 30, 2011 at 3:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

blur510

100+ Head-Fier
Okay, I watched a show today, and it made me realize that the soundstage on my LCD2 is a little narrow.  I really like the way the instruments and vocals sound on my LCD2, but I want better soundstage and imaging.  Would the HE-6/500 be better? or would I have to go with HD650/800?  Please give me suggestions.. thanks!!

Jun 30, 2011 at 6:56 AM Post #2 of 19
Watched a show? You mean you were listening to the TV on your LCD-2? If so, how did you determine the soundstage was too narrow? How do you know how wide the soundstage should have been? Or am I completely misunderstanding?

Jun 30, 2011 at 1:32 PM Post #4 of 19
From what I've read, orthodynamics in general don't have a very wide soundstage (in comparison to better cans).

Jun 30, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #5 of 19
that's what I am realizing right now, I am reading up on the  HD650/600, there is so much to many posts on the appreciation thread.  I am hoping someone else would chime in.

Quote:
From what I've read, orthodynamics in general don't have a very wide soundstage (in comparison to better cans).

Jun 30, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #6 of 19
I spent 24 years editing broadcast high end TV in NYC and also mixing the audio for those same high end shows.  The last thing I would ever do is listen to the audio from a TV show and then make a determination about the soundstage presentation of the LCD's.  Let me correct that. It is not even the last thing I would do.  I simply would never do that.

Jun 30, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #7 of 19
He later wrote "Sorry I wasn't that clear, I watched a live show with a live orchestra." which I don't think you saw.

Quote:
I spent 24 years editing broadcast high end TV in NYC and also mixing the audio for those same high end shows.  The last thing I would ever do is listen to the audio from a TV show and then make a determination about the soundstage presentation of the LCD's.  Let me correct that. It is not even the last thing I would do.  I simply would never do that.

Jun 30, 2011 at 7:01 PM Post #9 of 19

Quote:
I knew what you were describing.  I definitely would not judge the LCD's from any broadcast audio from any TV broadcast.

No... I think he meant he got all dressed up and went to go see an orchestra perform at a concert hall, then came home and listened to his LCD-2's and was like "wow, the soundstage is much less than real life"...

Jun 30, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #10 of 19

Quote:
No... I think he meant he got all dressed up and went to go see an orchestra perform at a concert hall, then came home and listened to his LCD-2's and was like "wow, the soundstage is much less than real life"...

LOL.  I see, blur510 went to see and hear live music!  No wonder you were disappointed. 

Jun 30, 2011 at 8:10 PM Post #11 of 19

Quote:
LOL.  I see, blur510 went to see and hear live music!  No wonder you were disappointed. 

lol yeah that's what I did, I know it's not gonna be as good but I want to be fairly close. Any still reading HD650 thread.. Might be the can with the right amount of detail and soundstage.

Jun 30, 2011 at 8:30 PM Post #12 of 19

Quote:
lol yeah that's what I did, I know it's not gonna be as good but I want to be fairly close. Any still reading HD650 thread.. Might be the can with the right amount of detail and soundstage.

i've had big rig speaker systems since 1980 until this year. One of my rules was never listen to the speaker rig right after attending a concert at Carnegie hall, or any venue where the music was not amplified.   This is one of my audiophile rules for happiness. 

Jul 7, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #13 of 19

Quote:
i've had big rig speaker systems since 1980 until this year. One of my rules was never listen to the speaker rig right after attending a concert at Carnegie hall, or any venue where the music was not amplified.   This is one of my audiophile rules for happiness. 

Ignorance is bliss

Jul 7, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #14 of 19

Quote:

You just killed my dream that I could one day have a speaker system that sounded like a real orchestra.

Even after going to an orchestra and then putting on K701s made the K701's soundstage sound pathetic. Maybe the Stax 009 could be "it"?

Jul 7, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #15 of 19

Quote:

You just killed my dream that I could one day have a speaker system that sounded like a real orchestra.

Even after going to an orchestra and then putting on K701s made the K701's soundstage sound pathetic. Maybe the Stax 009 could be "it"?

i never understand this search for a realistic soundstage, headphones or speakers.  I'm mean for the soundstage of an orchestra to sound realistic it would actually have to be the size of a real orchestra!  I have heard realistic soundstages on top of the line Wilson audio speakers for jazz ensembles and such but a realistic soundstage for ann orchestra? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back