Orpheus - HEV90 just sold for 20K-plus on ebay
Dec 21, 2009 at 5:33 AM Post #16 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by ford2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Only $5000 more than new,hardly worth thinking about.
Plenty drop 10/20 times that on a car that depreciates more than the cost of the phones as soon as you jump in it.
If you have got it you may as well spend it.

Yup, that's another way of looking at it. I know I've been guilty of the above description. Well, maybe not cars worth 10/20 times $20,700, but still, your point is well taken. If it's really special, it's just really special, and there is no other way to get it out of your mind than to simply buy it, no matter the cost. (From my signature: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzhRaXKolkc)

Dec 21, 2009 at 5:54 AM Post #18 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by n3rdling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From my listens to the HE90 I'd say it's a good headphone, but I think even Lambdas are a little better.

Which Lambdas, and with what amps?

The HE90-HEV90 combo easily bests Lambda Sigs with a 717, and with a (standard) KGSS, across every dimension: smoothness of freq response, detail, transient response, sound stage, extension both high and low.

I have done this A/B over and over, for lots of guests. The results never change. Source is a high-end SACD player.

We hope to do it again in January at a NJ mini-meet for 'stats only.

Dec 21, 2009 at 6:36 AM Post #21 of 66
@MomijiTMO thanks for the ebay link

Quote:

Originally Posted by MomijiTMO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got a lol of the shipping fees to Australia. Just ~555USD.

yep, USD563.12 - where'd they get that number from? then again the amp does weight 13kg. post always seems kinda expensive from us to australia, but at least the aud-usd fx rate is in our favour

Dec 21, 2009 at 6:49 AM Post #22 of 66
I dunno, the ER has fallen through the floor due to our lack lustre Q3 GDP + Dubai worries + US interest rates staying at record lows. AUD0.884/$ isn't stellar. ..

I need it to go back up to 94 cents
frown.gif

Dec 21, 2009 at 7:14 AM Post #24 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by MomijiTMO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dunno, the ER has fallen through the floor due to our lack lustre Q3 GDP + Dubai worries + US interest rates staying at record lows. AUD0.884/$ isn't stellar. ..

I need it to go back up to 94 cents
frown.gif

hadnt noticed it'd dropped below 90, tried to quit buying stuff from the US!

Dec 21, 2009 at 7:43 AM Post #25 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I disagree. It's not all relative. Or at least at some point, I think there naturally becomes an objective 'truth' type of price point, above which it's just crazy when considering one's alternative uses of funds.

IMO, paying over $20k for the Orpheus system is indeed crazy. Of course, you have to take into account the fact that I already have an Orpheus (thus, I don't want one at this point), and I (almost for sure) don't have the kind of money that the person who paid over $20k does.

But I keep saying the same thing every time I go on a trip to Europe in business class and about choke when I see that the company paid anywhere from $7k to $9k for my ticket. That's just for an air bus ride. It doesn't make sense to me that there would be enough demand for this service to command such a price on a consistent basis when an economy ticket is normally about $1k (more or less).

I guess some things just don't make sense to me in terms of the value proposition.

I respectfully disagree with your "disagree"
wink.gif

For items like HE90 the value is hard to judge. It's ALL subjective. like antique or art, I wouldn't pay $1k for Van Gaugh's sunflower if it is just UP TO ME. I don't see the value at all. But in the eyes of the passionate collectors, it worths millions. That's super crazy imo. Your analogy of business class airfare is just peanuts comparing to those extravagance.

So the fundamental philosophical question is: what is fair?

Dec 21, 2009 at 7:57 AM Post #26 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(From my signature: YouTube - How much fun can an Ariel Atom be?)

But that toy is bad for your hearing.
ph34r.gif

The item location said Seattle Washington. I wonder if that Orpheus ever made it to a Seattle area head-fi meet?

Dec 21, 2009 at 9:51 AM Post #27 of 66
thats just 14k euro... for sure there are some crazy people that need to have the most sought after but not the best....

Dec 21, 2009 at 11:06 AM Post #28 of 66
there are people out there that make sort of money in a day - if they want something they'll get it - price is not important

Dec 21, 2009 at 11:16 AM Post #30 of 66
This is definitely an collector item and I do believe that for some also the ultimate headphone set up ever, so, USD 20K aren't that bad as it looks like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back