Oritek OMZ DAC Sound quality check ...
Jan 28, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #46 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ori /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, Herandu is back from his vacation!
I sent you a private message for a reason, you DA!
Sure, throw your dirty laundry out in the open, why not?
I don't recall sending you any unit for a listen and based on your comments - what a waste of time and money for your "customers" (?!)
confused.gif

Not having a go at a unit you have never heard?!
Buyer beware of a unit you've never seen?
How about this: Reader beware - Herandu
eek.gif
is back!

lol ns. I call for a retraction. Either try it of stop bashing something you have never heard.

Jan 28, 2008 at 11:14 PM Post #48 of 74
You can prefer your soundcard ... I still prefer my X-Meridian 7.1 ...

I try to love very hard my OMZ ... I just prefer the sonority of my soundcard.

OMZ gave me a different coloration ...

Using tripplite and better powercord help a lot. (specially the powercord)

Jan 28, 2008 at 11:38 PM Post #49 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by pompon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can prefer your soundcard ... I still prefer my X-Meridian 7.1 ...

I try to love very hard my OMZ ... I just prefer the sonority of my soundcard.

OMZ gave me a different coloration ...

Using tripplite and better powercord help a lot. (specially the powercord)

See? He TRIED it. Did not prefer it. There you go. Simple.

I will try other dacs in the future too. Just not atm.

Jan 28, 2008 at 11:53 PM Post #50 of 74
I have three Zhalous. One Ori Modded Zhalou and two Zhalous with zap filter output stages. I am using modded sacd players with aftermarket clocks as the transports. The OMZ is excellent with my tube amps. I find the OMZ refined, musical and very engaging to listen to .... and I am not easily pleased or impressed. One caution, I did note the OMZ is sensitive to digital cables. Use a cheap digital cable and you will not hear the OMZ at the units best.
wink.gif

Jan 29, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #51 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have three Zhalous. One Ori Modded Zhalou and two Zhalous with zap filter output stages. I am using modded sacd players with aftermarket clocks as the transports. The OMZ is excellent with my tube amps. I find the OMZ refined, musical and very engaging to listen to .... and I am not easily pleased or impressed. One caution, I did note the OMZ is sensitive to digital cables. Use a cheap digital cable and you will not hear the OMZ at the units best.
wink.gif

Could I trouble you for your impressions of the OMZ compared to the zapfilter?

Jan 29, 2008 at 12:25 AM Post #52 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by sydneyaudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif

x2 would be most interesting

also can this this thread derailment please stop? it's not even funny anymore...

Jan 29, 2008 at 12:31 AM Post #53 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by sydneyaudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well .... this is an impromptu impression so excuse me if this comes across somewhat disorganized. I am going to type what comes to me as I am typing.

The zap filter Z's have a bigger, more powerful sound. The zap units are also more upfront, brighter and more dynamic, especially at the frequency extremes. There is more bass weight with the zap filter. The Ori is more refined and polite sounding. The Ori has more depth to the soundstage with a more relaxed perspective. The Ori has a beautiful midrange and does very well with acoustic guitar and vocals. Decays to notes seem to hang around slightly longer with the Ori. The Ori has very good bass that emphasizes definition and texture vs weight and power.

The zap units also have an excellent midrange but dont seem to emphasize the mids as much. There seems to be more going on in the bass and treble with the zap filter units. The Ori is great when you want to relax while the zap units energize you and have infectious PRaT with rock and blues. The Ori can do rock but I have to tube the amps differently with somewhat edgier and faster to tubes to get a comparable effect.

Most importantly, as far as satisfaction I am very, very pleased with either. If I had to pick only one I am very smitten with a Zhalou 2.0C / zap filter unit I bought used from Azure. This unit was originally modded by looser101 for swt61. This unit should never have been sold. But, I am glad it was for whatever reason.
biggrin.gif

Jan 29, 2008 at 12:57 AM Post #54 of 74
So many flavors lol.

I like the Ori b/c I can only afford one and prefer midrange detail and non-fatiguing sound b/c I listen all day long.

Jan 29, 2008 at 3:11 AM Post #55 of 74
Quote:

Well .... this is an impromptu impression so excuse me if this comes across somewhat disorganized. I am going to type what comes to me as I am typing.

The zap filter Z's have a bigger, more powerful sound. The zap units are also more upfront, brighter and more dynamic, especially at the frequency extremes. There is more bass weight with the zap filter. The Ori is more refined and polite sounding. The Ori has more depth to the soundstage with a more relaxed perspective. The Ori has a beautiful midrange and does very well with acoustic guitar and vocals. Decays to notes seem to hang around slightly longer with the Ori. The Ori has very good bass that emphasizes definition and texture vs weight and power.

The zap units also have an excellent midrange but dont seem to emphasize the mids as much. There seems to be more going on in the bass and treble with the zap filter units. The Ori is great when you want to relax while the zap units energize you and have infectious PRaT with rock and blues. The Ori can do rock but I have to tube the amps differently with somewhat edgier and faster to tubes to get a comparable effect.

Most importantly, as far as satisfaction I am very, very pleased with either. If I had to pick only one I am very smitten with a Zhalou 2.0C / zap filter unit I bought used from Azure. This unit was originally modded by looser101 for swt61. This unit should never have been sold. But, I am glad it was for whatever reason.
biggrin.gif

Thanks for those quick impressions!

Jan 29, 2008 at 4:09 AM Post #56 of 74
Quote:

Most importantly, as far as satisfaction I am very, very pleased with either. If I had to pick only one I am very smitten with a Zhalou 2.0C / zap filter unit I bought used from Azure.

The 2.0C uses the CS4398 D/A which offers *different* sonic reproduction from the OMZ, employing the AD1852. The CS is towards warm coloration, offering a very seductive sense on the very first impression. I've replaced the CS board on my Zhaolu D2.0 with the AD. The AD chip is more neutral.

However, oftenly, people choose a component that can correct any imbalance in a hifi system. But personal preferences can still vary.
biggrin.gif

Jan 29, 2008 at 6:22 AM Post #57 of 74
Quote:

The zap units are also more upfront, brighter and more dynamic, especially at the frequency extremes. There is more bass weight with the zap filter. The Ori is more refined and polite sounding.

That's very interesting, because like Bordins has noted, your Zap unit has the CS4398 chip while the OMZ has the AD1852. Most people would consider the CS as the "more polite" of the two DAC chips!
This is a great example that you can get a wide range of sound by altering the power supply and analog stages of a DAC. The basic DAC chip is still important, but no more than the other stages in the DAC system.

Feb 17, 2008 at 5:57 AM Post #58 of 74
Anyone have any impressions on the Stello DA100 to either a zapfilter zhaolu or OMZ? They are around the same price range i think and i've been debating which DAC to get for a really long time and I just want to buy one already. I find the Pico's DAC really good compared to my X-Fi Prelude so I want to get a home DAC since I hate unplugging and plugging in my Pico.

Feb 21, 2008 at 11:55 PM Post #59 of 74
I just received my Oritek V4 today, I must say I'm really impressed. The cost to performance ratio is fantastic.

If you guys would like, I can try to right up a detailed review with a list of suggested of songs from you.

Any thoughts on a blue jean coax cable ?

Feb 22, 2008 at 12:03 AM Post #60 of 74
Yeah I hope that you enjoy it. Simply did not have a proper use for her. Too damn noisy here but my next house = isolated sound room or friggin mini-HOUSE I swear this.

For coax blue-jeans is cool. Make sure it is as well shielded as you can afford. I am sure Ori has something more specific.

BTW power conditioning is really good with dacs. I supplied strange with a well shielded belkin PC and also suggest, as Ori did to me, to get the Tripp Lite LC1200 power conditioner to give you hospital grade power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back