Oritek OMZ DAC Sound quality check ...
Dec 29, 2007 at 6:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 74

pompon

500+ Head-Fier
I own OMZ4 ... (latest model) ... with the headphone amp discrete.

All peaple seem to love this dac. No bad review ...

I think something in my installation not working ... I try to figure how are those 4 basic characteristic to see if I have a problem or not ?

a- How the dynamic ? (poor, average, good, very good) ?

b- How the bass level, bass extention, bass impact ? (poor, average, good, very good) ?

c- How the highs extention ? (poor, average, good, very good) ?

d- How the depth of soundstage ? (poor, average, good, very good) ?

Dec 29, 2007 at 5:47 PM Post #3 of 74
I echo d-cee's comments. Bass and Dynamics are good, but I've heard better; for me, it matters less as the music I listen to is generally not bass-heavy.

The high frequencies are near-pristine in my v4 (DAC only, BTW), and soundstage is very big. Perhaps wider than deeper, but I'd still rank it very good as well.

What specific things are you NOT liking? And what are your other components?

I have a v4 OMZ 2.0, and what is probably a v2 OMZ 2.5; I was also thinking about sending Ori the 2.5 to bring it up to v4 and to add the amp portion....

Dec 29, 2007 at 6:42 PM Post #4 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the OMZ v4 without headphone amp (mind taking photos of yours? Curious to see what it looks like)

Here somes photos.
IMG_9887.jpg

IMG_9891.jpg

Dec 29, 2007 at 7:24 PM Post #5 of 74
I've got exactly the same OMZ as yours, the v4 combo, and lovely it is too.

Two points:

1. My unit didn't sound as amazing as I'd thought it would when I got it either.
After a few emails to Ori, I've added a singlestage homebuilt mains filter and the sound completely opened up. I'm still experimenting, but yesterday I added a second filter stage and it clamped the sound again, so as Ori said it may take some trial and error to get things right. These are the sort of thing I'm using:
The Feed Through Mains Filter (Full DIY) | Triode Systems

2. Talk to Ori. He's a really helpful guy and I'm sure he'll want to make sure your happy.

Dec 29, 2007 at 7:33 PM Post #6 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by skullguise /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What specific things are you NOT liking? And what are your other components?

All the 4 aspects where the bass level is the main problem.
My other sources have like 2 times more bass level. Like .. oh .. I hear a drum ... to I hear and feel a drum kicking!

I will complete to install my dedicate power line. I still wait my powercord from Virtual Dynamic (master 3.0) .. I am curious to try that.

Ori suggest me to try a power conditionner ... if not working, send him back for a checkup (maybee something worng) ...

It's why I ask ...

Dec 29, 2007 at 7:47 PM Post #7 of 74
Another happy user of the Oritek V4 with headamp stage reporting here.

I was lucky enough to be in San Jose so I was able to hear my unit in Ori's house with his power filter, and the bass sounds amazing. However, when my unit came back to the UK, I noticed a slight decrease in bass quality. Since the unit was identical, and I used both the unmodded HD650 for comparison, I can confidently come to the conclusion that the power filter really makes a difference.

In answering to your original question:
a) Very good
b) Excellent in Ori's house, very good in mine
c) The Oritek's strong point - extremely good
d) The Oritek's only weak point in my mind - the soundstage extends far, but the placement is not to my liking in the 650

Dec 29, 2007 at 7:53 PM Post #8 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Progenitor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another happy user of the Oritek V4 with headamp stage reporting here.
In answering to your original question:
a) Very good
b) Excellent in Ori's house, very good in mine
c) The Oritek's strong point - extremely good
d) The Oritek's only weak point in my mind - the soundstage extends far, but the placement is not to my liking in the 650

Ty ... I will try to go ahead with my experimentations and try a power conditionner.

It's seem encouraging.

Dec 30, 2007 at 1:37 PM Post #9 of 74
I try not to focus in on one particular aspect of the sound

to me the OMZ as a whole package is the best thing I've ever heard (which is not that much though) and sounds so natural and real. also things like detail and smoothness, and accuracy of musical tone are just as important as those listed above

Dec 30, 2007 at 4:52 PM Post #10 of 74
Sorry abit off here, but mind to tell me what's the function of that volume knob (from this pic below)

IMG_9887.jpg

Since it doesn't have any headphone output? preamp?

Dec 30, 2007 at 5:44 PM Post #11 of 74
Headphone volume control.

THe headphone output is at the back of the unit.

I can do an adaptor to use the Ori (with the headphone out) as a full preamp too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry abit off here, but mind to tell me what's the function of that volume knob (from this pic below)

Dec 30, 2007 at 8:19 PM Post #12 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sorry if I'm coming of as a salesman for Oritek
eek.gif
but this is Ori's new product
only just available. As well as the now well known discreet output stage these can now be had with his own discreet component headamp in the same enclosure.
The headphone 1/4" jack is in one of the holes marked phone-in.

I wanted to get the dac and Ori offered the chance of one of these.

I asked that mine also be fitted with extra inputs/outputs so that I could use dac and amp separately.
biggrin.gif

Dec 31, 2007 at 3:13 AM Post #13 of 74
I have tried my OMZ D2.0A on a number of systems. They all sound different due to different audio components and envirionments.

Bass from OMZ is more than enough on my system, but I heard it a lot stronger on my friend's tri-amp system with 12-inch subwoofers.
biggrin.gif
However, the detail of bass is half of other systems.

It is also very common that "resistive" cables and "noisy" components attenuate the original signals from the source. You may need a DAC that produces 2 times the bass level in order to compensate such resistance, but you may lose some tonal balance. There are other factors in consideration too.

A "reference" audio system will show you that the OMZ v4 retrieves everything stored on CDs at the finest level. Be patient, this is a journey of perfecting your audio system. Enjoy the music.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 31, 2007 at 3:56 AM Post #14 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by pompon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Headphone volume control.

THe headphone output is at the back of the unit.

I can do an adaptor to use the Ori (with the headphone out) as a full preamp too.

How good from headphone out? And how much for this additional feature?
biggrin.gif

Dec 31, 2007 at 6:43 AM Post #15 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by chat7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How good from headphone out? And how much for this additional feature?
biggrin.gif

Send a PM to ori to have a price.

I love to have an option to listen music when I don't want warm-up my tube amp just for a couple of track, play games, background music, movies ...

I don't have any complain with the headphone out ... It's a very good quality .
smily_headphones1.gif

I am pretty sure you can't find an external amp giving you a better sound at the price of the addon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back