Oritek OMZ DAC Sound quality check ...
Dec 31, 2007 at 3:12 PM Post #16 of 74
OMG, I don't realize there is a headphone jack on back panel!
So this is the new headamp unit that just recently introduced by Ori?
I thought you can use it as stand alone amp with external source connected? and where is the gain switch?

Dec 31, 2007 at 5:13 PM Post #17 of 74
Yep, that's the unit alright
smily_headphones1.gif
I have an identical one sitting on my desk.

On the right hand side of the output RCA there's a toggle switch which has 3 positions:

High = High Gain
Middle = bypass DAC stage, uses the RCA output as input
Bottom = Low Gain

Jan 1, 2008 at 10:48 PM Post #18 of 74
Well, all this talk has stirred me up enough to touch base with Ori to get my OMZ2.5 (rev 2) upgraded, with rev 4 output and the new headamp.

We exchanged a couple emails, and the amp sounds like it's a nice amp and can drive many a phone, to complete an incredible al-in-one package.

My other OMZ (rev 4) is based on the Zhaolu 2.0, so it doesn't have room to upgrade it with the headamp. But tha's OK, it's in a non-headphone system anyway
tongue.gif

Looking forward to the upgrade!

Jan 2, 2008 at 6:19 AM Post #20 of 74
Ask him directly, he's a friendly guy
smily_headphones1.gif

I do learn a lot from him, and I might pull the trigger, then get the DAC/Amp after I finish recabling my K701.

Jan 3, 2008 at 4:47 PM Post #22 of 74
Thanks for the link.
What is the exact naming/spec for the transformer?

I could mod one into my D2.5...

Jan 3, 2008 at 11:33 PM Post #23 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by udo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the link.
What is the exact naming/spec for the transformer?

I could mod one into my D2.5...

mine is blank, has nothing written on it. i could measure the output... but that could be that he had to use a different one cos i'm on 240v

Jan 4, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #25 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mine is blank, has nothing written on it. i could measure the output... but that could be that he had to use a different one cos i'm on 240v

It's the same transformer. Ori told me that all he had to do was change one connection to change the Zhaolu from 120V to 240V.

Jan 5, 2008 at 5:11 AM Post #26 of 74
I just put my Ori on Tripplite LC1800 Line Conditioner (Ori told me to do that) and it's MUCH better.

Dynamic, Details, soundstage (depth) it's a nice upgrade.

I will continue to test tomorrow .. so far, I am very pleased with this change ...

Jan 5, 2008 at 5:41 AM Post #27 of 74
Can someone here who own OMZ v4 with new Headamp unit, write a short review about the amp? I need confirmation before I make a purchase
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 5, 2008 at 12:18 PM Post #30 of 74
I currently have the headroom microdac and was wondering if there is any noticeable improvements with the OMZ v4, if so, how much and is it worth looking into replacing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back