Oritek OMZ DAC Sound quality check ...
Jan 5, 2008 at 1:09 PM Post #31 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by ast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hm..... mine comes without the internal amp (therefore no volume control knob). Guess mine is Version 3 ?

91248298.qFqrys1w.OMZ_new_01.jpg

not necessarily, there were and still are OMZs that are v4 without the optional amp. v4 spec means it has the processor removed. as i recall Ori didn't call any of his previous OMZs any version, just OMZ but now that he removed the processor he considers it significant enough that he should differentiate

Quote:

Originally Posted by yossi126 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd like to know if someone experienced improvements in sound between the v2 and the v4 DAC-only unit.

I did! I had mine updated from whatever to v4 spec. The change in sound is not huge as in it still sounds like an OMZ but there is a noise/haze that is lifted. It is the digital processor and Ori was right in thinking that it introduced noise into the chain. It's hard to explain, but when it's no longer there you notice the lowered noise floor and extra dynamics

Jan 5, 2008 at 9:02 PM Post #32 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[re: v2 to v4 sound]
I did! I had mine updated from whatever to v4 spec. The change in sound is not huge as in it still sounds like an OMZ but there is a noise/haze that is lifted. It is the digital processor and Ori was right in thinking that it introduced noise into the chain. It's hard to explain, but when it's no longer there you notice the lowered noise floor and extra dynamics

I had very similar experience as d-cee. I had a Zhaolu D2.0 (maybe v1 or v2) that had a passive volume control on it. Sent it back to Ori and he upgraded it to v4 status, also removing the volume control.

Results: better bass, slightly increased transparency, and also slightly quieter noise floor. Almost exactly what d-cee said. And it was a very good DAC even before the upgrade!

Jan 6, 2008 at 6:55 AM Post #33 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The upgrade to v4 on my (at the time) 2.0 really cleaned up the sound on my system. I recommend this upgrade to anyone with an older OMZ.

Jan 7, 2008 at 3:55 AM Post #34 of 74
The OMZ D2.0A V4 just arrived my home last week. I was very surprised with the new sonics.

I noticed that my reference CDs sound different, very obvious to my ears particularly wider dynamics as well as deeper/extended bass, larger sound stage (3D-direction), spacial clarity, darker background, and sparkling details.

Lowering the noise floor makes it another "world" ! If you look for very precise music reproduction, then the V4 is your answer.

Any how, the previous versions are still decent DACs.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 8, 2008 at 6:15 PM Post #35 of 74
Does anyone here have iMod?
Which on is better? OMZ or iMod?

Jan 21, 2008 at 2:05 AM Post #36 of 74
ATM I do test between optical and coax.

I own a good COAX now (VirtualDynamic David 2.0) and I compare it to my Glass Tosklink.

Coax win hand down.
- Better dynamic (much more!)
- Better bass impact
- More details
- Larger soundstage

(ori told me optical and coax was pretty similar ...)

I guess, I will reorganise my PC to get him closer to my DAC.

Jan 28, 2008 at 11:52 AM Post #38 of 74
My OMZ v4 (DAC + Headamp) arrive today,
the packaging is very well handled, and it arrive faster than I thought.
I'm very anticipating this unit, since this is my first attempt buying audio equipment which cost more than $800 AUD, this should be very good.

I haven't setup my transport (PC + X-FI soundcard) properly, since I'm waiting for Blue Jeans Cable mini to RCA digital coax cable, and Line Conditioner.
But currently I have AKG K701, Denon D2000, and Soundright PN-2 Powercord.

And then I proceed connecting OMZ with iMod (DAC bypassed), to give the amp a head start. With K701, I need to turn the volume knob to 12 o clock to get decent volume. I'm listening to Eagles - Hotel California from Hell Freeze Over unplugged album - Lossless (ALAC).

Initial impression, the bass is punchier than my previous amp, Heed Canamp.
Audio separations is much better, and much clearer... until the vocal comes in, his voices is distorted...
frown.gif
it's like, when you turn volume too high? or the headphone can't handle the frequency, so the bass is breaking up!
What the hell?

Then I properly setup my DVD player to run "Compilation CD" that included inside the box with Coaxial cable. When the first track comes in... oh my God... the clarity, very natural, soo organic, the bass/mid/high is very "natural"... so this is the OMZ signature sound.

Track by track, leave an impressions inside my head... a breathtaking experience, and then suddenly in one track, where the music emphasize high pitch voice... there is a slight "distorted" sound, and I'm beginning to anxious.

Then I change the CD to Eagles - Hell Freeze Over album, switch to track 6 "Hotel California"... opening acoustical instruments is very nicely reproduced, until the vocal comes in... gah! totally distorted... I turn down the volume to 11 o clock, and everything beginning sound normal, but not enough volume for me... so I gradually turn the volume knob to 1 o clock... the voice breaking up again along with the instruments at the background...

I change the connection with optical input, and re-listen the same track.
Yet I found same problem
frown.gif

I figure something wrong with the amp module... then I perform some experiments, like the changing the power board, change the power cord into generic power cord, the problem still persist.

When I bypass the amp, and use OMZ as a stand alone DAC to feed my Xin Supermacro III v6, no distortion problems founded... So I safely assume there is nothing wrong with the DAC.

My Line-Conditioner will arrive tomorrow or the next day, and meanwhile I will conduct several test with different types of music.
Most Jazz & Classical music has no problem, only high pitched voice music and
complicated instrumental music has this problem, like the amp can't handle the frequencies or sumthin...
frown.gif

Currently I'm connecting the OMZ with X-FI Xtrememusic soundcard with inbuilt Creative ASIO, and Foobar 2000 as the player. Yet the problem still continue, I already send an email to Ori regarding to this problem, and I'm wondering anyone here has similar experience like this?

Jan 28, 2008 at 12:55 PM Post #39 of 74
I've read before i think this thread? where a line conditioner fixes things up so i'd wait for that to arrive before you start getting worried.

How do you think the OMZ dac compares to the Xfi?

Jan 28, 2008 at 1:04 PM Post #40 of 74
Yeah, my friend suggest me to burn the unit for a while...
I'll throw 100 hours before making final conclusion.
(better be good)

Quote:

How do you think the OMZ dac compares to the Xfi?

OMZ DAC compare to X-Fi DAC chip?
omg... it's like day & night, it far an upgrade from my previous DAC, iBasso D1 (which is better than X-FI). OMZ has more punch, more natural sounding than my iMod.

I just wish... I don't have any problem with the AMP, otherwise it's a damn great DAC/AMP... again... I'll wait for line conditioner and burn the unit for a while.

Jan 28, 2008 at 2:18 PM Post #41 of 74
I received the following message from Ori:

[Quote:Originally Posted by Herandu]
You can of course spend just a mere $200 on a Beresford TC-7510 and take on even the OMZ at twice the price.[/QUOTE]

Ori's reply:
This has been mentioned again and again. Please quote your source or personal experience and not your hypothetic "loud thinking". Your posts are exactly analogous to the person who once wrote about the Beresford that it's a Chinese P.O.S.; he was wrong and so are you, no difference whatsoever.
I truly don't mind if you say that the OMZ is the world's worst DAC, based on a real experience, not pep talk. That would be your own subjective interpretation which you are entitled to voice. You are not entitled to bad mouth just about any competition to the Beresford. It's not taken seriously by most readers who have seen your recurring "broken record" posts, and within that context nothing you say would sound credible.
Your cooperation in the future is well appreciated!
- end reply.

For anyone's info: I have mentioned that I have listened to the various DACs. I don't know how many times I have to repeat that as well. My company is a subcontractor who has to do CE/EMC/VDU approval testing on products before they can be sold in Europe. Clients submit 3 to 5 samples, of which most never ask for their goods back. So I get to handle, listen, or even keep quite a lot of stuff. I am not having a go at OMZ. I say it as I see it and buyer beware.

Jan 28, 2008 at 2:26 PM Post #42 of 74
lol whatever man.

Herandu please retreat from this stance made in ignorance. I will respect you as a person who cares and tries to help but cannot allow this argument to continue.

To not even give the unit a chance?

How can he submit 3-5 samples when he works out of his home? That would kill his month right there.

Ori is a stand-up guy that does excellent work and is passionate about sound. What else do you want?

The OMZ certainly is better than the 7510. Twice as good to me. Both are excellent deals in their price range.

I KNOW BECAUSE I TRIED BOTH.

Jan 28, 2008 at 2:43 PM Post #43 of 74
I'm actually have no problem with the person, or the DAC.
We had a smooth conversation, he teach many new things to me, and later, I purchase the unit from him.

The packaging is very well handled, the build times is moderate, but the shipping is very fast. I just had this unit for 12 hours, and I haven't perform intensive testing on it... but everything is good, except the amp part... I hope it will be solved soon.

Jan 28, 2008 at 5:25 PM Post #44 of 74
If the OMZ is such a terrible dac why do I love it with $20 ebay Boston Acoustic mini monitors? I HATE these speakers with my upstairs Pioneer 515 reciever.

There is actually detail and sound stage now. The highs are not all crappy and hurtful to my ears. I can actually hear the midrange now and the bass is very tuneful. It must be a placebo I am sure.

Jan 28, 2008 at 5:44 PM Post #45 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Clients submit 3 to 5 samples, of which most never ask for their goods back. So I get to handle, listen, or even keep quite a lot of stuff. I am not having a go at OMZ. I say it as I see it and buyer beware.

Ah, Herandu is back from his vacation!
I sent you a private message for a reason, you DA!
Sure, throw your dirty laundry out in the open, why not?
I don't recall sending you any unit for a listen and based on your comments - what a waste of time and money for your "customers" (?!)
confused.gif

Not having a go at a unit you have never heard?!
Buyer beware of a unit you've never seen?
How about this: Reader beware - Herandu
eek.gif
is back!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back