Oriolus Traillii Electrostatic Hybrid IEM discussion thread
Jul 17, 2021 at 11:57 AM Post #3,751 of 8,024
Another by-product of bird ownership. I’m currently on a flight and my go to IEMs for travel are (and probably will be for a long time) MEST. I absolutely love them and after the Bird purchase, the fact that they are “only” $1000 make the thought of losing them on a trip much more palatable. Personally I think they are similar to the Bird. MEST is a little more fun but outdone in every category by the Bird.

A good rule of thumb for me is to not travel with gear that costs more than I have in my wallet for the trip. :wink:

Jul 17, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #3,752 of 8,024
How about IE900?
I just heard that it's a very good jack of all trades far over it's price?
Couldn't listen to it though yet

Jul 17, 2021 at 3:09 PM Post #3,753 of 8,024
IE900 has some of the best bass I’ve heard in an IEM. It’s a warmer/laid back sound, I felt in comparison to the upper mid energy there was a bit too much treble so every now and then I turned it down but overall it’s one of those IEMs for me that falls into the “mest mk2, U12t, z1r” category from price to performance, it is not as technically capable as the ones I listed though.

Jul 17, 2021 at 3:47 PM Post #3,754 of 8,024
Another by-product of bird ownership. I’m currently on a flight and my go to IEMs for travel are (and probably will be for a long time) MEST. I absolutely love them and after the Bird purchase, the fact that they are “only” $1000 make the thought of losing them on a trip much more palatable. Personally I think they are similar to the Bird. MEST is a little more fun but outdone in every category by the Bird.

A good rule of thumb for me is to not travel with gear that costs more than I have in my wallet for the trip. :wink:
I am a bit different. I would always take the bird with me. I got into IEM’s to bring the best sound with me when traveling. Tks.

Jul 17, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #3,755 of 8,024

I'm with you. The kilobucks stay at home, the TWS goes in the bag. If I had a Bird, it would stay in a safe.

Jul 17, 2021 at 5:53 PM Post #3,756 of 8,024
So my in-flight photos of carrying the Bird with me on 4 flights a week gives some on this thread angst? Honestly, I got them to use and enjoy. It think it made some crazy when I would use my $2300 EM10 in the gym, never understood it.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2021 at 7:23 AM Post #3,757 of 8,024
Anyone by chance tried A&K SE180 (potentially with its new AKM module) with the bird?

Jul 18, 2021 at 7:29 AM Post #3,758 of 8,024
Anyone by chance tried A&K SE180 (potentially with its new AKM module) with the bird?

All sound impressions in my SE180 review were using the bird.

ak_se180-29.jpg

Jul 18, 2021 at 8:27 AM Post #3,759 of 8,024
All sound impressions in my SE180 review were using the bird.

ak_se180-29.jpg
Thx Alex!
So the LO is a true LO in SE180, right?
What I find interesting about this model that it's more up2date from it's platform than let's say some N6ii.
Though from SQ / bird synergy! perspective only, how would you rate this one compared to others?
My guess
1. P6Pro = SP2000 (of course different implementations and signatures)
2. N6II = A&K SE180 / 200 = DX300 (again different flavors)

BTW DX300 Max will be an interesting subject for review I suppose...

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2021 at 10:09 AM Post #3,760 of 8,024
The SP2000 and the AKM4499 implementation can be polarising. It's delightful in the detail and clarity. But the flavour may not be for everyone.

As for travel, I'm always a bit careful of multi-driver BA being thrown around in the kilobuck territory. Whilst I have travelled with both Andromeda 2020 ; Trailli I've taken a liking to the Isabellae is my new value for money IEM.

AirPods Pro go to the gym.

Jul 18, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #3,762 of 8,024
The SP2000 and the AKM4499 implementation can be polarising. It's delightful in the detail and clarity. But the flavour may not be for everyone.

As for travel, I'm always a bit careful of multi-driver BA being thrown around in the kilobuck territory. Whilst I have travelled with both Andromeda 2020 ; Trailli I've taken a liking to the Isabellae is my new value for money IEM.

AirPods Pro go to the gym.
Isabellae wouldn’t be classified as a bass heavy IEM though right?

Also-any guesses how DX300 MAX’s dual AKM4499 implementation might compare to SP2k? Worried it might be even more clinical lol

Jul 18, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #3,763 of 8,024

Also-any guesses how DX300 MAX’s dual AKM4499 implementation might compare to SP2k? Worried it might be even more clinical lol

By no means bass heavy, but very tastefully done :). Very little subbass rumble but with subbass extension and a respectable little midbass punch. Its really just there to give things a bit of extra body. Fits perfectly with instrumental and vocals.

Jul 18, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #3,764 of 8,024

No but the emphasis is slightly mid-bass over sub-bass. It's an incredibly balanced tuning with one of the most singularly satisfying bass responses I've ever experienced.

Jul 18, 2021 at 12:08 PM Post #3,765 of 8,024
No but the emphasis is slightly mid-bass over sub-bass. It's an incredibly balanced tuning with one of the most singularly satisfying bass responses I've ever experienced.
How well does it represent kick drums and electronic drums? Is it deep and realistic or slightly undercooked?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back