Oriolus Hybrid IEM
Sep 11, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #1,276 of 1,871
Just received my triple flange tips today. I used the smallest pair and inserted them as deep as they could go into my ear (super deep insertion, my ears kind of feel violated now). These provided the absolute best isolation like i've never had and are still quite comfortable.

Now i understand why @Virtu Fortuna ranked the mk2's bass as 9.5 on his iem scoring chart. Holy f*kn crapty crap, these are BASS CANNONS! The bass now hits hard, has more body and texture, extends really low and has this delicious decay to it. The mids remain unaffected and i still don't hear the 'lushness' or 'thickness' of the mids as others describe it but the treble is almost unbearable now. It's become even more harsh and grainy sounding, which causes it to lose out on a lot of resolution and overall clarity. So far the spiral dot tips seem to provide the tonality that i'm looking for; forward and lush mids, smooth and detailed treble and excellent clarity, but due to the nature of the short nozzles, spiral dots don't insert deep enough for me to enjoy that delicious bass decay.

If i were a bass junkie, then this would be it for me. I've never heard bass like this. Unfortunately, i'm not, so the mk2 still sounds unimpressive to me because it just lacks that bit of mid and treble smoothness/refinement that i had with se535,

I'll be trying the spinfit cp240 double flange soon in the hopes of getting a deeper insertion for the bass whilst maintaining the tonal qualities of the spiral dot tips. I just thought that i'd let bass junkies know that this is what they've been searching for all along.

Sep 11, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #1,277 of 1,871
Just received my triple flange tips today. I used the smallest pair and inserted them as deep as they could go into my ear (super deep insertion, my ears kind of feel violated now). These provided the absolute best isolation like i've never had and are still quite comfortable.

Now i understand why @Virtu Fortuna ranked the mk2's bass as 9.5 on his iem scoring chart. Holy f*kn crapty crap, these are BASS CANNONS! The bass now hits hard, has more body and texture, extends really low and has this delicious decay to it. The mids remain unaffected and i still don't hear the 'lushness' or 'thickness' of the mids as others describe it but the treble is almost unbearable now. It's become even more harsh and grainy sounding, which causes it to lose out on a lot of resolution and overall clarity. So far the spiral dot tips seem to provide the tonality that i'm looking for; forward and lush mids, smooth and detailed treble and excellent clarity, but due to the nature of the short nozzles, spiral dots don't insert deep enough for me to enjoy that delicious bass decay.

If i were a bass junkie, then this would be it for me. I've never heard bass like this. Unfortunately, i'm not, so the mk2 still sounds unimpressive to me because it just lacks that bit of mid and treble smoothness/refinement that i had with se535,

I'll be trying the spinfit cp240 double flange soon in the hopes of getting a deeper insertion for the bass whilst maintaining the tonal qualities of the spiral dot tips. I just thought that i'd let bass junkies know that this is what they've been searching for all along.
i think you have to get used to anything that is not the se535. Its treble sounds smooth because the extension is very truncated so what you are probably hearing is a very different experience. I do agree on the mids tho, doesnt sound lush but is miles ahead for detail retrieval

Sep 11, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #1,278 of 1,871

Mids are lush but not thick IMO. Thanks for agreeing in terms of bass :)

Sep 11, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #1,279 of 1,871

Ya. The (sub)bass with triple flange is INSANE.
Man, you're not getting much luck with the highs. I've settled with Penon audio 1$ complys just you balance everything out (at the cost of that ferocity in subs) but I am happy with the open and smooth presentation, especially in the higher registers...

Sep 11, 2018 at 8:48 PM Post #1,280 of 1,871
I've been tip rolling the MKII and I found the most neutral sounding with MKII's touch of magix is with the mandarin tips (S)....

Sep 13, 2018 at 4:14 AM Post #1,282 of 1,871
Going to audition the Finschi and probably a couple of the other models on the weekend. Kinda hoping I don't like anything too much, otherwise, I'll be tempted to grab one :wink:
Or they grab you, who knows. The whole situation is a blurr till you end up home with a brand new set of IEMs and you're like "The hell.........?"

Sep 13, 2018 at 5:30 AM Post #1,283 of 1,871
Going to audition the Finschi and probably a couple of the other models on the weekend. Kinda hoping I don't like anything too much, otherwise, I'll be tempted to grab one :wink:

Do me a favor? Compare the finschi with our beloved lz-a4 could you? Happy listening!

Sep 13, 2018 at 5:58 PM Post #1,284 of 1,871
Finally had a chance to listen to these. Detail and imagery were VERY good to me. I was comparing these to IMR-R1 on a copper balanced cable. The R1 is very "in your face" and has a bit more bass. These still have quite some bass but everything is a little more spread out. I can actually hear where instruments are suppossed to be coming from instead of just left or right stage.

Still comparing these to my 64Audio U8's. Little more soundstage with the U8's but the imagery and seperation seem quite similar (I'm not an audiophile). Finchi keeps up with sub-bass/bass but being dynamic it is a little slower but more full and lively bass-wise. Listening to a few soundtracks of John Williams the brass section sounds a little cleaner to be honest with the U8's to be honest aqnd just has that little extra bit of detail I wouldn't catch otherwise.

I know these are all over the place with price brackets...but the Finchi is an absolute steal for the price considering what it does! Very happy with my purchase. These will be my "out and about" U8's :)

Sep 13, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #1,285 of 1,871
By the way just FYI. Listened to all three out of my Hiby r3 which I think is suppossed to be warm as-is but loved it. I feel like I need to move up in daps but not sure where to go so for now this is where I am as I wanted low price but good function and balanced out :)

Sep 13, 2018 at 6:02 PM Post #1,286 of 1,871
Do me a favor? Compare the finschi with our beloved lz-a4 could you? Happy listening!

Add the A5 to the mix too if it's okay! TIA!

Sep 13, 2018 at 8:23 PM Post #1,287 of 1,871
By the way just FYI. Listened to all three out of my Hiby r3 which I think is suppossed to be warm as-is but loved it. I feel like I need to move up in daps but not sure where to go so for now this is where I am as I wanted low price but good function and balanced out :)
I use the Finschi with a Sony ZX 300a out of the balanced 4.4 and it’s a great combo. The Sony can be picked up for $369 at joy buy. The Finschi also sound very good but a little warmer out of the Opus 1, balanced 2.5

Sep 13, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #1,288 of 1,871
A lot of awesome talk about the Finschi :) Now I need to see if I can find a pair to try.

As a side note, I went to my local store last night to get the balanced 2.5mm cable for my Limited. I guess they really do consider those cables special.... I had seen some people looking for cables in the sales threads etc, but I did not pay much attention. 4000 HKD for the cable. No, I did not add a zero. Four THOUSAND. That's 3+ Finschi's for the cable or almost 1/4 of the way to the HD820. I politely declined.

PSA - If anyone is considering the Limited, you can get the 2.5mm cable with the Limited as a no-charge option instead of the 3.5mm SE. I wish I had known that sooner. You don't get both cables, but I personally find a balanced cable to be more versatile (and I don't mind adapters). Below is a pic of the purple (looks a bit more pink in person to me) 2.5mm version.

LTD%202.5.png-700x700.jpg

Sep 13, 2018 at 10:10 PM Post #1,289 of 1,871
A lot of awesome talk about the Finschi :) Now I need to see if I can find a pair to try.

As a side note, I went to my local store last night to get the balanced 2.5mm cable for my Limited. I guess they really do consider those cables special.... I had seen some people looking for cables in the sales threads etc, but I did not pay much attention. 4000 HKD for the cable. No, I did not add a zero. Four THOUSAND. That's 3+ Finschi's for the cable or almost 1/4 of the way to the HD820. I politely declined.
You are probably unaware of this, but that cable is composed of unobtainium with a little adamantium and vibranium thrown in (j/k). I think I'd take a Finschi and keep the rest of my cash.

Sep 14, 2018 at 1:08 AM Post #1,290 of 1,871
Does anyone have any suggestions as to how i can unlock the 'wow' potential of these iems because thus far i'm really not impressed and considering returning them to the owner or just listing them for trade.

with my mk2 I found that there are two tip pairings that really smooth things out. Marshmallow foams from Campfire Audio is one. Medium size, deepest insertion you can manage. The less porous foam material allows the true highs to come out without increasing the upper midrange (which is already a little hot). For some reason this pairing also levels off the subbass and brings up the mid-bass a tad.

Also I had great luck with round comply T500 comfort / medium. This created a very meaty bass with still plenty of sub extension, but not so "rumbly" sub 30 hz garbage. It smoothed the upper mids a touch and allowed the treble to be peak free - though more attenuated than the CA Marshmallow tips (for sure).

Standard comply isolation mediums killed the highs and emphasized the upper mids a bit too much for me - though it wasn't sibilant.

Overall, I find this IEM is a keeper if you can tip roll your way to happiness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back