Oriolus Hybrid IEM
Oct 12, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #481 of 1,871
My mistake. I meant my MK2 would be arriving. I'm currently burning them in, but I did listen to them for a few hours today this morning and last night. My initial impressions are very positive. They seem to work with any source so far. 

saw that you gotten a few hybrids lately. would love to see your comparisons between the different models :D

Oct 12, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #482 of 1,871
saw that you gotten a few hybrids lately. would love to see your comparisons between the different models
biggrin.gif

I've been listening to the UM Maestro V2, Kumitate Lab Trio, and Oriolous today so I can start by trying to compare those three even though the Maestro is not a hybrid. Using the Plenue S as a source (no eq), the Trio scaled best with faster and louder music. I was running it balanced out, but the Trio has great separation between instruments and more forward vocals. The sound was a bit more neutral than the Maestro or Oriolus.. The Oriolous was more musical and engaging. It has a very spacious presentation, and the sound is very enjoyable. I prefer the Trio so far for more critical listening and the Oriolous for more relaxed listening sessions. The Maestro is my least favorite out of the 3, but it is a very enjoyable BA IEM. It is a great all rounder, and it also is a very enjoyable listening experience. The separation and spacing is not as good as the Oriolous and Trio IMO. 

I haven't listened to the Sirius A91 in a while, but I prefer the Oriolous and Trio to it except when it comes to soundstage. The A91 is a great IEM too, but not as strong overall as these IMO. 

Oct 12, 2016 at 1:17 PM Post #483 of 1,871
I've got the Oriolus, A91, UM Merlin V2, and Sony XBA-Z5s.  I have not heard the Kumitate.  I have used them with a Calyx M, Paw Gold, and now with a QP1R.  For me, the Oriolus is my favorite, and the Merlin comes in last.  None are bad, and I can easily see other people having different rankings of them, given musical/sonic taste,  and associated gear.

I've been spoiled by the consistency and quality of fit and seal from ciems, and have gone through many tips trying to get at least similar performance from the above iems.  I have very large and ellipsoidal ear canals, with a pronounced bend. I have discovered that the large Spin fits, spiral dots, and UE 900 and TFT(?) tips will work for these.  

I listen to acoustic jazz, prog rock, and nu metal for the most part-big Zappa fan as well-no big surprise, given my screen name.  I value instrumental timbre, and phase/time coherence so that the instruments sound as close to how they sound live, unamplified, as possible.  I want to spin my head thinking that someone is in the room with me speaking, e.g., when the musicians are speaking quietly to each other on the recording....   I want the slam and leading edge of the note, then bloom, and the decay of that note.  I want cymbals to sound like metal discs, not like frying bacon (yum, btw).  

Hope at least some of that helps.

Oct 15, 2016 at 5:11 PM Post #485 of 1,871
I want to upgrade the cable of my oriolus (by a 3.5 baanced one), under $200. Do you have any recomandation?

Oct 15, 2016 at 8:59 PM Post #486 of 1,871
  I want to upgrade the cable of my oriolus (by a 3.5 baanced one), under $200. Do you have any recomandation?

Our X and Exo are within your budget and well regarded by head-fiers. Feel free to drop us a line anytime if you have any questions.

http://www.plussoundaudio.com/customcables/inearmonitor.html

Thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/701384/plussound-audio-thread/225#post_12935722

PlusSound Stay updated on PlusSound at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/plusSound/ https://twitter.com/plussoundaudio http://plussoundaudio.com/
Oct 18, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #491 of 1,871
Yes Miileanus, 10BA will be there as well
I will have an actual unit in my hands next week and I will be making more posts on the subject
The cost of 10BA will be 2K ):

For 2k they would have to top nearly all other flagship IEM's! Hope to listen to them soon and see if they'd can compete with let's say Noble katana, Zeus, etc.
The Mk2 sounded quite good, but had for my taste too imprecise bass and too lush clarity. Hope the Mellianus will fill out that hole and am looking farward reading your posts!

Oct 19, 2016 at 10:10 AM Post #493 of 1,871
I bought these spontaneously at a recent meet -- and I NEVER buy anything spontaneously!
redface.gif
 I was looking for an IEM (ideally a hybrid) with a decidedly lush signature, full-bodied sound, smooth highs (I'm allergic to shrill treble and sibilance) and elevated bass, and it fit the bill so perfectly it was almost ridiculous. I have to admit that not only had I never heard an Oriolus before, but I had never really heard of Oriolus before. It just wasn't on my list at all. At the meet I got a chance to listen to Lime Ears Aether (I thought the bass boost was overdone -- absurd amount of bass when switched on, at least with my already bass-heavy music; also, treble wasn't smooth enough for my needs), CustomArt Harmony 8.2 (liked that one better; nice and warm, but it lacked that little something that might have swayed me over), Fidue Sirius (very full, voluminous sound -- that might have been my second choice), Fischer Amps Rapture (full sounding, but highs could be a bit too shrill on my Treble Terror Test Tracks; also, vocals sometimes sounded slightly veiled to me).

And then, out of the far left field, came Oriolus. What can I say, it just checked all my boxes. Bought it right on the spot after ten minutes of listening (just the kind of behavior I would usually advise against -- don't do this at home, kids!). One thing that the Oriolus taught me since then was that all the action is really in the mids. I always kind of neglected that part of the frequency range, just didn't place much importance on it. Since I have the Oriolus, I've really come to appreciate the midrange. And what a midrange it is: vocals sound glorious on Oriolus! It's almost a shame most of my music is instrumental, but it also adds body and "meatiness" to my Techno tracks and orchestral pieces as well. This is the opposite of thin-sounding.

I have to say though that this IEM is certainly not for everybody. It is indeed quite colored, so if you're looking for neutral, best look elsewhere. But if you're looking for lush and creamy, this might just be the ticket.

One thing irritates me though: if I press on the shells while wearing them and then let go, there is a very distinct clicking/popping noise coming from earpieces. Is that normal? It's not a big deal, I just haven't experienced it before and would like to make sure if it's to be expected. Since it's the same on both sides, I guess it is probably normal (something to do with the vent holes perhaps?), but I just thought I'd ask. Any input welcome. Thanks, guys, and glad to be on board!

Oct 19, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #494 of 1,871
  I bought these spontaneously at a recent meet -- and I NEVER buy anything spontaneously!
redface.gif

One thing irritates me though: if I press on the shells while wearing them and then let go, there is a very distinct clicking/popping noise coming from earpieces. Is that normal? It's not a big deal, I just haven't experienced it before and would like to make sure if it's to be expected. Since it's the same on both sides, I guess it is probably normal (something to do with the vent holes perhaps?), but I just thought I'd ask. Any input welcome. Thanks, guys, and glad to be on board!

So, I guess they 'clicked' for you in more ways than one!  
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back