Oriolus Hybrid IEM
Sep 29, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #440 of 1,871
  I chose the Oriolus in the end! I found that the Oriolus has a more chaotic yet lively sound. It also has a bit of a bump in the mid-high range that pushes vocals more forwards which I kind of liked as well. Merlinv2 has a more controlled sound with slightly softer highs IMO, oriolus highs are clearer and heavier hitting. I think the Merlin has edges out Oriolus in terms of a solid bass, but loses out in engaging mid-highs to highs. I hope this helps! I don't regret my purchase at all, they're simply different sound signatures.

I have been comparing the universals: Merlin V2, Fidue A91, Oriolus Mk2, and the Sony XBA-Z5s recently, using not only my Calyx M and Paw Gold,but also with my Moon 430 HAD.  The comparison is very interesting, but in spite of the fact theat they are all very good, they sound quite different,  (settled on UE900 or Spiral Dot tips (both size L) as the best for all of these, for my ears.... The following comments are just a short impression, not a full review of these.  I am still getting their measure, but wanted to put some thoughts down so far.

The Merlins are very "pretty" sounding, and it seems like it has the least 'dynamic driver bass' of the bunch.  The Z5s seem to be the most 'tilted' of the bunch, in terms of being a bottom-up presentation, yet are natural sounding, and give cymbals their fair share of the 'stage'.  The A91s are airy and detailed, with good bass that hits pretty hard.  They are tricky for me to get a proper seal, but when they do, they sound quite good - but do have a bit of an 'audiophile sound'.  The Oriolus arrived yesterday, and did spend some time in my ears, before I put them on overnight burn-in playing music tracks along with the Isotek burn-in disc. They are very live and natural sounding, and at one point I spun around to see where a sound was coming from, but it was in the music.  Many points for Oriolus.  I was also not getting much bass from them, and was wondering what people were were thinking, when I slightly twisted them in my ears - ah! there it is.  These things pound pretty hard, almost at the level of the Sony, but sound somewhat less tilted than the Z5s.  

I really do have to do more listening, but I think the Oriolus may be my favorite of the bunch.  I got the China version via Amazon, and have already tried some other cables on them, now using the ALO Copper 22s.  I generally prefer copper to silver, and like spc least, but I really do like the Copper 22s. So, any thoughts on a replacement cable that really locks in with these?

Sep 29, 2016 at 10:51 AM Post #441 of 1,871
^ Glad you liked them. If you don't mind me asking - how do you find the Oriolus fares against the A91 in terms of air and spaciousness? I've recently realised that the reason why I liked the Oriolus so much was because of how airy and spacious they are, so if the A91 can match or even exceed the Oriolus in these regards, then they may just be worth a shot. 

Sep 30, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #443 of 1,871
  ^ Glad you liked them. If you don't mind me asking - how do you find the Oriolus fares against the A91 in terms of air and spaciousness? I've recently realised that the reason why I liked the Oriolus so much was because of how airy and spacious they are, so if the A91 can match or even exceed the Oriolus in these regards, then they may just be worth a shot. 

I don;t mind at all.  I am still just getting to know both of them, as they were part of a binge purchase which also included the Z5s.  This all came about because I pulled my original version AKaedes out of storage and gave them a listen after a steady diet of multi-b.a. ciems....

That said, I think the A91s present a bigger soundstage, that sounds 'airier', but the Oriolus is more focused, and has more papable 3-d images. In the speaker world, you usually have to chose between a big stage and a focused one.  I am trying to get the most realism, where I am tricked into believing I am present at the actual live performance.  

They are both good, but different. Both give me fit "fits".  

Just got back to work from a coffee break, where I swapped cables and tips, and fired up my Hifiman 901.  Ended up liking the UE900 tips and the stock so-called "Chinese" cable (the silver looking one).  It's very slinky and does not try to lever the iems out of my ears, or break the seal. It was an amazing combo, even though they still need to be nudged back into place from time to time...

I'll try to play the A91s with the 901 and see what they differences are.  Both are good, but I think I like the Oriolus better- but I have much more work to do to sort this out.

Sep 30, 2016 at 6:32 PM Post #444 of 1,871
I don;t mind at all.  I am still just getting to know both of them, as they were part of a binge purchase which also included the Z5s.  This all came about because I pulled my original version AKaedes out of storage and gave them a listen after a steady diet of multi-b.a. ciems....

That said, I think the A91s present a bigger soundstage, that sounds 'airier', but the Oriolus is more focused, and has more papable 3-d images. In the speaker world, you usually have to chose between a big stage and a focused one.  I am trying to get the most realism, where I am tricked into believing I am present at the actual live performance.  

They are both good, but different. Both give me fit "fits".  

Just got back to work from a coffee break, where I swapped cables and tips, and fired up my Hifiman 901.  Ended up liking the UE900 tips and the stock so-called "Chinese" cable (the silver looking one).  It's very slinky and does not try to lever the iems out of my ears, or break the seal. It was an amazing combo, even though they still need to be nudged back into place from time to time...

I'll try to play the A91s with the 901 and see what they differences are.  Both are good, but I think I like the Oriolus better- but I have much more work to do to sort this out.

I've been on the fence of buying these because I have the A91 and the Andromda, but I think your response made the decision for me. I'm glad they are different than the A91, and it sounds like owning both could make sense because you can use them in different situations for different sounds.

Sep 30, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #445 of 1,871
I've been on the fence of buying these because I have the A91 and the Andromda, but I think your response made the decision for me. I'm glad they are different than the A91, and it sounds like owning both could make sense because you can use them in different situations for different sounds.

I am glad my comments were helpful.  I am trying to find 'the one', rather than having a tool box full of different iems.....

I have been having a discussion with fellow head-fier,  flinkenick about proper reviewing phrasing and content, and how to address the subjective or observer-dependent elements of using gear.  By way of an analogy, they say that the sense of smell is the most powerful influence on remembering past experiences. I remember going into a restaurant once, and immediately being reminded of my grandmother's kitchen.  It was not because the restaurant had a 'remind you of your grandmother' aroma -- that was mostly unique to me....  When I listen to audio gear I look for components that trick me into thinking the performers are present- that is somewhat subjective, in the sense that the same exact stimulii (sounds) may not trigger that 'you are there'  response in everybody.  

That said, I really like the A91s, and enjoy them.  They have not yet tricked me into thinking the sounds I am hearing are actually in my environment, as opposed to simply, knowingly,  hearing them as coming thru the iems. I have with the Oriolus.  I did with the Kaedes, which started my whole back to dynamics/hybrids adventure.  Wish like hell they would fit like customs...  But the percussion and cymbals on a Kenny Barron Live at Bradleys 16/44 flac rip was staggeringly real (I am a drummer) and the piano had the perfect blend of wooden resonant body, and vibrating strings struck by felt hammers. The upright bass was textured and visceral, and had the right power and weight that a real upright actually has.  The trio was right there, sounindg like a trio playing 'in and around my head'.  I was lucky that I didn't walk in front of a moving car, given how immersive the experience was. I am hoping it will sound just like that when aI fire it back up on my way home from work.

Definitely first-world problems.  I really do feel lucky.

Sep 30, 2016 at 8:06 PM Post #446 of 1,871
https://www.facebook.com/MusicaAcoustics/posts/1212513265479757

Sep 30, 2016 at 8:22 PM Post #447 of 1,871
Great sounding IEM but on the larger side, however its smaller brother appears to have a better fit due to smaller housing. 

Source: Jaben HK facebook, price is 3000 HKD

Sep 30, 2016 at 10:49 PM Post #449 of 1,871
I wish I had both to compare but currently I got neither one of them. My current saving will most likely go toward the upcoming sony one sound signature series. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back