Oriolus Hybrid IEM
Sep 10, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #377 of 1,871
went to try Merlin v2 today. here are some pics

I was really really impressed by it.has tighter, faster bass than Oriolus. highs are airy and detailed at the end of the spectrum. mids are not too forward and not as lush as oriolis but overall have a sense of air surrounding instruments. soundstage I think was ever so slightly narrower than oriolus. torn between deciding the two of these great hybrids.

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk

What did you decide?  I have the Merlin V2s, and want to try the Oriolus (maybe the Fidue A91 as well.  I like natural sound, but I want dynamics, hard-hitting bass, with good pitch definition, and cybals that sound like cymbals, not like bacon frying.  I want it to trick me into thinking the musicians are 'playing in or near my head'  What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

Sep 10, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #378 of 1,871

What did you decide?  I have the Merlin V2s, and want to try the Oriolus (maybe the Fidue A91 as well.  I like natural sound, but I want dynamics, hard-hitting bass, with good pitch definition, and cybals that sound like cymbals, not like bacon frying.  I want it to trick me into thinking the musicians are 'playing in or near my head'  What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

I chose the Oriolus in the end! I found that the Oriolus has a more chaotic yet lively sound. It also has a bit of a bump in the mid-high range that pushes vocals more forwards which I kind of liked as well. Merlinv2 has a more controlled sound with slightly softer highs IMO, oriolus highs are clearer and heavier hitting. I think the Merlin has edges out Oriolus in terms of a solid bass, but loses out in engaging mid-highs to highs. I hope this helps! I don't regret my purchase at all, they're simply different sound signatures.

Sep 10, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #379 of 1,871
I ordered a set on Amazon last week, but they claim they shipped it, and UPS claims they did not.  There is tracking info, but it is "ghost tracking" which I never knew existed.  I paid extra for overnight shipping, and it did not come, as scheduled, on Thusday, neother did it come on Friday.  So today I demanded and received a refund.

So now the question is whether to try to order again, and if so to get the regular version or the carbon fibre faceplate version.  Any thoughs on that one?

Sep 10, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #381 of 1,871
Sorry to hear about your experience, just FYI I am selling a set of Oriolus MK2 with PW5 cable if interested. Details on the for sale forum

why are you selling?

Sep 11, 2016 at 2:41 AM Post #385 of 1,871
Any comparisons between oriolus and campfire audio andromeda or fidue a91 sirius? Deciding on which to buy as they are all similarly priced and a91 seems to be ranked on par with andromeda, but wondering how the oriolus compares to both.

Sep 12, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #388 of 1,871
Received mine today. The default tip is not so good. Change to my JVC spiral tip. The sound is what i am looking for. Pair well with Opus #1, and Cayin N6. Somehow i cant get it to work nicely with onkyo as i can hear some static noise when streaming music via wifi

Sep 13, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #389 of 1,871
Has anyone tried the Oriolus w-01 cable?  I got one yesterday, and am listening to it with my pair of UM Merlin V2s.  All of my Whiplash and ALO cables fit its sockets snuggly, The Oriolus cable requires virtually no insertion or removal force- are the Oriolus sockets smaller than normal, I have been wondering whether the .76 and .78 designations are length or diameter of pins.  No spec is given for the Oriolus, hence my question.  I like the cable, but it will be very expensive if an acrylic iem falls off the cable, and breaks when it lands on a hard surface (and I am not bragging about my 6-pack abs here, lol).

Thanks for any info on this.

Sep 13, 2016 at 11:06 PM Post #390 of 1,871
  Has anyone tried the Oriolus w-01 cable?  I got one yesterday, and am listening to it with my pair of UM Merlin V2s.  All of my Whiplash and ALO cables fit its sockets snuggly, The Oriolus cable requires virtually no insertion or removal force- are the Oriolus sockets smaller than normal, I have been wondering whether the .76 and .78 designations are length or diameter of pins.  No spec is given for the Oriolus, hence my question.  I like the cable, but it will be very expensive if an acrylic iem falls off the cable, and breaks when it lands on a hard surface (and I am not bragging about my 6-pack abs here, lol).

Thanks for any info on this.

I don't know about the W-01, but the W-02 cable that comes with the Chinese version (I assume both should have the same pin diameter) fits the Oriolus pretty snugly. The W-02 however fits my custom JH13 loosely as well, so if I have to make an educated guess I'd say .76

Users who are viewing this thread

Back